• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A Map Committee »

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
I honestly don't think that having one would make that much of a difference. I think that the current decisions of map additions and removals have been good, and especially with the removals AlpakaWhacker has been very transparent with the reasoning. With that in mind, it doesn't seem like something that is needed and would just be a waste of time to manage.

Reaction score
I honestly don't think that having one would make that much of a difference. I think that the current decisions of map additions and removals have been good, and especially with the removals AlpakaWhacker has been very transparent with the reasoning. With that in mind, it doesn't seem like something that is needed and would just be a waste of time to manage.
maybe certain people to help him (not a lot of people) and not to a large degree to make an entire committee dedicated to it?

Shelby

District 13
Reaction score
Last time the map committee was running.. in its last few months, remember those map pushes?

Lemme just point out that the map committee was non-functioning at that point and those map pushes had to be organised by someone outside of the team because the Map Committee couldn't get their Good together.

At the point the committee was still 'a thing' the last few map pushes were done by me, and i wasn't even 'allowed' in the map committee.

Reaction score
I think if he needs/wants help he will ask. But right now he is doing a fantastic job so if he feels that he is fine doing it himself, I don't have a problem with it.
Last time the map committee was running.. in its last few months, remember those map pushes?

Lemme just point out that the map committee was non-functioning at that point and those map pushes had to be organised by someone outside of the team because the Map Committee couldn't get their Good together.

At the point the committee was still 'a thing' the last few map pushes were done by me, and i wasn't even 'allowed' in the map committee.
Very well said

Tree_TheBigKind

District 13
Reaction score
So yeah, as it was said before on the thread, there was a map committee. As to why it broke apart, I'm unsure why they kept the reasons secret. It really wasn't a big thing that is needed to be kept secret. Basically no one did any work looking into maps. By this, I mean people would bring up maps they thought should be added but never even downloaded all the maps to look around (with the exception of a few members). Furthermore, there appeared to be voting patterns (members voting and always aligning with other ones). This wasn't the reason the committee disbanded however it's a reason it wouldn't work well. Nonetheless, the actions that did come about from the map committee were always decided by one or two people with minimal consent from the others.

This is not meant to call out anyone. I'm simply giving my firsthand view.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I think a major point of failure for the previous map committee was that the members were tied to build teams. People were biased for their own stuff, and honestly, I and the rest of Team Apollo kinda felt like we had some people in the committee against us... But I digress.

A good Map Committee would need to be dedicated and preferentially impartial, which seems like a tough goal to actually meet. I don't think it's necessary or really feasible.

Shelby

District 13
Reaction score
One important thing to note is Map development works better under one person because that means pushes can be consistent. Under a team, it was hard to get everyone to attend one meeting if I remember correctly - and when they did, little was decided upon.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Do you all see, now, why the map committee was discontinued? Event he mention of it brings forth flame. In my opinion, we should have more than just Jamie (AlpakaWhacker) deciding on our new map additions however these members should be picked from within the staff team. Honestly the administration has enough experienced players who know how the game works. Alpaka could bring up possible additions and they could be discussed within the staff, or Sr. Staff team. We're staff for a reason, to keep the community running and map selection is a part of that.

Does a map committee fit this need? I don't believe so specifically, however it would be nice to have more than a person or two in on these types of decisions.

GetRidaHim

Career
Reaction score
it wouldnt be a seperate staff team per se.

thats what the interview, background check, and application are for.
It would be far too difficult to host Training Sessions and Interviews not only for staff, although for Map Committee members too...

theres something in slack that you can do called guest accounts where developers can make it so that certain people can only see certain things, so they could make them see a channel called #mapcommittee with the map com. and everyone else in it.
Sounds great, but that requires a paid Slack, and the prices are incredibly high for the service, so that's out of the question.
Let me quote you something from the thread:
I'm not too sure what that has to do with... :/
Opinion base. There's one thing.

Frankly, people want map updates quick and often, but not too often. Jamie is leaving us at the edge of our seats just to wait for an update and that can just be frustrating!
This is actually the first time I've seen someone talk about the time it takes for maps to push. I'm sure you'll say otherwise, but over the past year of being a staff member I haven't seen anything.

Divining

Platinum
Reaction score
I don't really see an issue with this, however you stated there should be 'ranks' in this committee, and personally, I think it should be the following:

Member - all the people in the committee.
Admin - Alpaka & other network Administrator's, not "committee" administrator's. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci