• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A More Strict Punishment for Hackers?

ImProfuse

Survivor
Reaction score
So as many of you know there is a very helpful action taking place called the "CleanSweep" judging by the statistics shown about the amount of Hackers being banned during the Cleansweep I can tell it has been working quite well.

Although, I can't help but notice the ratio of Hackers being banned temporarily compared of those who are being permanently banned. This weeks amount of bans were 87 Temporarily banned and 27 permanently banned. I think the number of Hackers being permanently banned is a bit too low for my liking and probably many others.

Many people have thrown the idea that Hackers should be permanently banned on the 1st offence, although the Staff and other players did not agree and said that Hackers deserve a second chance to redeem themselves and that a Permanent ban would be very harsh, I agree. Except for one thing.

I don't agree Hackers should be banned only for 1 week on their 1st offence, I think that is a far too soft of a punishment. A 1 week punishment is not very intimidating in the eyes of a Hacker, they probably will think " Oh, I'll just hack on some other servers and come back to this place in a week or so."

So I propose the idea of a 1 month ban on the 1st offence, yes, a 1 month ban. If a Hacker were to see themselves banned from a server for a whole month they will more often than not be completely turned away from the server, a hacker won't want to wait 1 month to hack again on a server, so I highly doubt they could be bothered to come back and hack again because they aren't going to remember this server most likely as they are too busy hacking on other servers. Coming back to the point " Hackers deserve a second chance to redeem themselves" if they truly want to play on this server again without the use of Hacked clients they will wait out the 1 month ban and most definitely will not hack again as there is no reason to wait out a whole month's ban and Hack again, it's just illogical.

With that being said, I believe this is just a win win situation. An ex-hacker gets a second chance to redeem him/herself but the punishment of 1 month turns away any hackers who would think to hack once again on MCG after their ban expires.

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
Quickly wanted to say while I'm reading this, the title should be "A More Strict Punishment For Hackers," rather than saying stricter.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
With hundreds of hackers being banned, it is only inevitable that one or two players is banned unfairly. I am not saying it is a common occurrence that the staff get something wrong, because it hardly ever happens, but thousands of players have been banned in the history of MCG, a good percentage for them hackers. If you were one of the very unlucky few that got banned by a mistake, you wouldn't want to have a lengthly ban for doing nothing wrong. Especially since some players don't know how to properly dispute bans, if they are wrongly banned in the first place, they may not know how to file a proper dispute and get it sorted out.

This whole thing kinda is like the whole death penalty debate. Usually when they convict someone to death, it is because they really did it, but occasionally after they have been killed we find out that they are innocent. Using harsh punishments may sound like a great idea as it will limit the guilty, but it also can have unfortunate effects for the innocent.

Sarchikani

Platinum
Reaction score
Nah. I think one week is fine. Anything more than that will cause people to just leave and not come back at all. If you really want to crackdown on hackers, longer punishments is not the answer, more punishments is the way to go. Start by getting more ACTIVE mods who actually play a decent amount. Offer an incentive for regular players to catch hackers, and train the staff so they can actually detect hacks easier. I mean this may seem like a lot but it is beneficial in the long run. And if someone really wants to hack, I don't think a temp ban will stop them.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
Nah. I think one week is fine. Anything more than that will cause people to just leave and not come back at all. If you really want to crackdown on hackers, longer punishments is not the answer, more punishments is the way to go. Start by getting more ACTIVE mods who actually play a decent amount. Offer an incentive for regular players to catch hackers, and train the staff so they can actually detect hacks easier. I mean this may seem like a lot but it is beneficial in the long run. And if someone really wants to hack, I don't think a temp ban will stop them.
Bashing staff is always the easy thing to do. However, there are something like 150 mods who have to moderate the forums, teamspeak, MCG US, MCG EU, MCG CA, and MCG AU. Major regions like US and EU have a ton of servers. Mods are volunteers, and there is no way for them to be in a lot of games, unless they simply had no life. They are very active, it is just that the odds that you run into them in game are not always high, however you do come across them every now and then. You can always find them here on the forums though, with no difficulty. See watch, I'll tag duckluv321 and I can guarantee she will read this post at some point in the not so distant future.

AlgerWaterlow

Platinum
Reaction score
More stricter.....uggh, deep-six the "more" next time or someone's getting their ear butter-knifed. #perturbed

I think giving hackers one second chance is enough and if you think to argue with that, well piss off and find your own TARDIS please.

Sarchikani

Platinum
Reaction score
Bashing staff is always the easy thing to do.
Bashing staff is easy, and pointless, which is why I didn't do so in this post...
However, there are something like 150 mods who have to moderate the forums, teamspeak, MCG US, MCG EU, MCG CA, and MCG AU. Major regions like US and EU have a ton of servers. Mods are volunteers, and there is no way for them to be in a lot of games, unless they simply had no life. They are very active, it is just that the odds that you run into them in game are not always high, however you do come across them every now and then. You can always find them here on the forums though, with no difficulty. See watch, I'll tag duckluv321 and I can guarantee she will read this post at some point in the not so distant future.
Alright, this goes back to my point of getting more active mods. Mods who actually play the game a decent amount and are capable of doing their responsibilities. Never did I say that the mods that MCSG currently has are not good, we just need more of them. Also, thank you for telling me the obvious by saying that mods cannot be everywhere at once, was unaware of that. (Sarcasm) And tagging one of the most active mod really doesn't help your argument. Out of the 150 mods, you simply pick one of the most active. Try picking a random one next time and see if they actually respond.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
Bashing staff is easy, and pointless, which is why I didn't do so in this post...
The mods are very active in this community. There is no need for more active mods. That is my point, you are blaming the staff for not being active enough, when they are very active.

Sarchikani

Platinum
Reaction score
The mods are very active in this community. There is no need for more active mods. That is my point, you are blaming the staff for not being active enough, when they are very active.
I guess thats where we differ in opinions. I am not saying the mods are not doing their job, like you said, they can only do so much. I just feel we need more active people. And when I say active, I am not saying the current mods are not active, it just means that we need more of them. No clue how you came to the conclusion that I am blaming the staff...

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
I guess thats where we differ in opinions. I am not saying the mods are not doing their job, like you said, they can only do so much. I just feel we need more active people. And when I say active, I am not saying the current mods are not active, it just means that we need more of them. No clue how you came to the conclusion that I am blaming the staff...
When you say we need more active people it sounds like you are saying the current people aren't active... Maybe it's just me? Could someone else pls let me know?

Manos

Diamond
Reaction score
When you say we need more active people it sounds like you are saying the current people aren't active... Maybe it's just me? Could someone else pls let me know?
Its just you imo , if he says he wants more active people then that doesn't mean that he is calling the current people inactive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci