• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Asking for Advice about a Friend in Need

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
The history of all of the supernatural occurances discribed within are refuted by science.
Within what? The Bible, or the website that you linked?
If it's the website: of the articles that I've read from that website just now, it seems to be a site that supports and explains the Bible as a truthful scripture.
If it's the Bible: I beg to differ - There are a great number of "supernatural occurrences" recorded within the Bible that have not been refuted or explained by science. Simply because there is no current scientific explanation for something does not mean that it is impossible for it to happen, and that's something that even an atheist scientist would have to agree with, or else renounce their profession as one who seeks the truth and inner workings of all things.

Some of the examples that come to mind are:
- The "tornado" of fire that God manifested within, leading the Israelites out of Egypt.
- The parting of the sea as the Israelites were fleeing from the Pharaoh and his chariots. (this event has been undeniably proven by the findings of numerous chariot parts at the bottom of the sea, and an exceptional underwater "bridge" across the sea.)
- The fire that rained down, when called by a prophet (at least twice!)

Not going to rant at mooclan because I don't want this to turn to flame.
lolwut im confused

I think my source of confusion is that I don't quite get which perspective you're trying to argue for/against. Or is it that you're speaking from an in-between perspective?

Well anyway, I think that miracles are an interesting topic. I find them amazing. I've even seen a few myself. For example, I predicted my dad's passing away (which was completely unexpected) three days before it happened in a journal entry. Then I've heard many from religious friends.
...WOW! That's...stunning. And heart-breaking.
But surprisingly, I've found that miracles aren't a major factor in whether someone stays in a religion. Miracles do seem to happen to people of all religions, and Christians specifically tend to believe that miracles are a result of faith rather than something that makes faith.
I think that both sides are valid, and it's just one of those "case-by-case" things. There are times when miracles convince people to stay in a religion, or to go to (be drawn towards) a religion, and there are also times when they happen to people outside of religions.

Christianity, in particularly, is such a well-documented and detailed religion, thanks to the "Living Word", the Bible.

It can be argued that miracles, while they are often associated with Christianity and/or other religions, also happen to people who simply deserve or need them.
If you've ever heard of "It's A Wonderful Life" (it's a drama, which I happen to be a crew member for the Canadian premier of), it's about a man who isn't associated with any specific religion, but an amazing miracle happens to him simply because he's a good person who is deserving of some divine assistance in a time of need. Although this is a story that was created by a human mind, it's a prominent example that has parallels engraved in similar real-life, true stories.

My personal beliefs have come to be based off of the fact that religions make impossible and contradicting statements, and that God is unknowable. In a discussion recently with Tenebrous, we decided that it was impossible for God to be either all-knowing or all-powerful. However, it is possible for him to be all-powerful with respect to all things that are by definition possible, so I guess it depends on how you define it. This quote by C.S. Lewis is a great explanation of the "all-powerful" argument.

"His Omnipotence means power to do all that is intrinsically possible, not to do the intrinsically impossible. You may attribute miracles to him, but not nonsense. This is no limit to his power. If you choose to say 'God can give a creature free will and at the same time withhold free will from it,' you have not succeeded in saying anything about God: meaningless combinations of words do not suddenly acquire meaning simply because we prefix to them the two other words 'God can.'... It is no more possible for God than for the weakest of his creatures to carry out both of two mutually exclusive alternatives; not because his power meets an obstacle, but because nonsense remains nonsense even when we talk it about God."
One of the greatest issues that many religions have faced as they grow older is the ways that the believers interpret the teachings.

While some people say that God is "all-powerful" in the sense that if he wanted to, he could make a new planet out of thin..space(?), other people would interpret the term "all-powerful" to mean that God could create a new planet by causing (through natural means like long-awaited meteor collisions) massive landmasses to split off of dozens of other planets at just the right angles, and collide to form a new spacial body.

gosh im so sleepy, stage crew work ain't easy

Jusser

Career
Reaction score
Lol. Guys. Private message is a thing. Isn't this thread getting a little out of hand?

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Within what? The Bible, or the website that you linked?
If it's the website: of the articles that I've read from that website just now, it seems to be a site that supports and explains the Bible as a truthful scripture.
If it's the Bible: I beg to differ - There are a great number of "supernatural occurrences" recorded within the Bible that have not been refuted or explained by science. Simply because there is no current scientific explanation for something does not mean that it is impossible for it to happen, and that's something that even an atheist scientist would have to agree with, or else renounce their profession as one who seeks the truth and inner workings of all things.

Some of the examples that come to mind are:
- The "tornado" of fire that God manifested within, leading the Israelites out of Egypt.
- The parting of the sea as the Israelites were fleeing from the Pharaoh and his chariots. (this event has been undeniably proven by the findings of numerous chariot parts at the bottom of the sea, and an exceptional underwater "bridge" across the sea.)
- The fire that rained down, when called by a prophet (at least twice!)
Sigh

Some of these events are directly against the known laws of physics; therefore, they couldn't have happened. Although you may be able to claim that the laws of physics may have changed, if all we have is abject say so from an ancient scripture there is absolutely no way to tell ANY of it happened. The moment you allow the laws of physics to change to justify your event, anybody can "change" the laws of physics to justify ANY event. You'd have to believe in the miracles described within the book of mormon, for example.

Your last proposition is completely wrong and was proven so a long time ago.
http://www.snopes.com/religion/redsea.aspI'm

Christianity, in particularly, is such a well-documented and detailed religion, thanks to the "Living Word", the Bible.
Yes it's well documented but the original manuscripts fail epically in their historical reliability.

While some people say that God is "all-powerful" in the sense that if he wanted to, he could make a new planet out of thin..space(?), other people would interpret the term "all-powerful" to mean that God could create a new planet by causing (through natural means like long-awaited meteor collisions) massive landmasses to split off of dozens of other planets at just the right angles
Even with that narrow scope, there are critical flaws in your argument.

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Lol. Guys. Private message is a thing. Isn't this thread getting a little out of hand?
No man, don't be a party pooper. Let us have some controversy. It's the only interesting thing that can happen on the forums nowadays.
Wow you must have physic powers! Let's win $1,000,000 by demonstrating them!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

oh wait
Yeah, I'm not totally sure what to think about why people so consistently claim to have seen miracles. I think it has to do with the placebo effect and just thinking that you deserve a miracle or something. The strange events I've seen aren't really that special, and could easily be explained in scientific terms, so I wouldn't say they are evidence for a religion.

Anyway I think that event/challenge is awesome. It makes a lot of people look silly and tbh I love it.
Within what? The
While some people say that God is "all-powerful" in the sense that if he wanted to, he could make a new planet out of thin..space(?), other people would interpret the term "all-powerful" to mean that God could create a new planet by causing (through natural means like long-awaited meteor collisions) massive landmasses to split off of dozens of other planets at just the right angles, and collide to form a new spacial body.
Indeed the idea of "all-powerful" is controversial. However, I think virtually all people will agree that "all-knowing" or "omniscient" simply means to know everything. Unfortunately, this too is impossible, for reasons few people think about.

Everything in the universe must have a reason or event that precedes or causes it. For example, we have galaxies because gravity draws stars together. This means there must be a reason for the big bang, and reason for that reason, etc... There are either an infinite number of reasons for the universe existing, or there is a first reason. Both are unknowable, by definition. So ironically, God cannot know why he exists. Neither can any being

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not totally sure what to think about why people so consistently claim to have seen miracles. I think it has to do with the placebo effect and just thinking that you deserve a miracle or something. The strange events I've seen aren't really that special, and could easily be explained in scientific terms, so I wouldn't say they are evidence for a religion.
This.

Anyway I think that event/challenge is awesome. It makes a lot of people look silly and tbh I love it.
XD This is the best one

Everything in the universe must have a reason or event that precedes or causes it. For example, we have galaxies because gravity draws stars together. This means there must be a reason for the big bang, and reason for that reason, etc... There are either an infinite number of reasons for the universe existing, or there is a first reason. Both are unknowable, by definition. So ironically, God cannot know why he exists. Neither can any being
I believe you are conflating reason/purpose with cause. I understand your point but this just looks like a conglomerated version of the cosmological argument for God's existence.
Here's a video that you may find interesting and may break some confusion.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Some of these events are directly against the known laws of physics; therefore, they couldn't have happened. Although you may be able to claim that the laws of physics may have changed, if all we have is abject say so from an ancient scripture there is absolutely no way to tell ANY of it happened. The moment you allow the laws of physics to change to justify your event, anybody can "change" the laws of physics to justify ANY event. You'd have to believe in the miracles described within the book of mormon, for example.
Then, how do you explain the events that have been proven beyond reasonable doubt (as is the legal requirement for sentencing) which go against the laws of physics?

One of the essential points of this over-arching debate is that quite often, either half (which could very well mean me, in some cases!) fails to keep in mind and/or accept the proven points that support the basis of the other side.

For example, there are numerous individual eyewitness accounts of Buddhist monks levitating as they meditate? Although it isn't related to Christianity specifically (but there is a related explanation for it), it's still an action that defies the laws of physics as we know them.

Anyways, I'm not educated enough on the topic at this time to debate to the ends of the Earth.

Your last proposition is completely wrong and was proven so a long time ago.
http://www.snopes.com/religion/redsea.aspI'm
huh wut the link doesn't work

Yes it's well documented but the original manuscripts fail epically in their historical reliability.
What makes you say that? The Bible has been proven hundreds of times to be one of the most reliable works of ancient text that there are. When interpreted accurately and consistently, while also maintaining the concept of the "Living Word", then it can be reliably shown that the Bible doesn't contradict itself.

Even with that narrow scope, there are critical flaws in your argument.
you're literally saying that to sound smart
and if you're not just saying that arbitrarily, it'd be much appreciated if you could PM/reply with more details about the errors in my argument (which I may be able to refute/explained when pointed out) so that I can further improve my arguments in the future.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Then, how do you explain the events that have been proven beyond reasonable doubt (as is the legal requirement for sentencing) which go against the laws of physics?
Source?

For example, there are numerous individual eyewitness accounts of Buddhist monks levitating as they meditate? Although it isn't related to Christianity specifically (but there is a related explanation for it), it's still an action that defies the laws of physics as we know them.
You seem to think eye witness accounts are the best method of forming conclusions about reality. You are wrong and it's blatant. Humans have a knack for mis-remembering real events and concocting wild fantasies.

Don't believe me? Well. http://www.innocenceproject.org/causes-wrongful-conviction/eyewitness-misidentification
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Papers/Py104/loftus.mem.html
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...d_in_lists/links/544320420cf2a6a049a8a285.pdf

And before you even try to say that it's true because they say it is. Please understand the implications of what you're trying to assert.

Your fallacious premises.
1. We have accounts of magical events occurring
2. Therefore, we should believe these accounts on absolutely no empirical data.

You can use your EXACT argument to vindicate almost any dubious supernatural claim.
For example, using your logic you must believe these.

http://www.ufocasebook.com/trueaccountofalienabduction.html
http://www.ufocasebook.com/Cahill.html
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/three

So unless you want to literally believe every supernatural claim about reality with no evidence... you are simply wrong.

Also not to mention some if not all of these religions are mutually exclusive (they both can't be true), which causes more issues. For example if you concede that one religion is false you immediately subject yourself to the chance that your religion is wrong.

huh wut the link doesn't work
http://www.snopes.com/religion/redsea.asp
I recommend you stop making erroneous assumptions as they will continue to be exposed by me.

The Bible has been proven hundreds of times to be one of the most reliable works of ancient text that there are. When interpreted accurately and consistently, while also maintaining the concept of the "Living Word", then it can be reliably shown that the Bible doesn't contradict itself.
REALLY? The New Testament doesn't even follow the Historical Method.
You have to be joking

you're literally saying that to sound smart
and if you're not just saying that arbitrarily..
Another false assumption.

God could create a new planet by causing (through natural means like long-awaited meteor collisions) massive landmasses to split off of dozens of other planets at just the right angles

Read up on this
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/occam.html
http://skepdic.com/occam.html
Then get back to me.

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
This.
I believe you are conflating reason/purpose with cause. I understand your point but this just looks like a conglomerated version of the cosmological argument for God's existence.
Here's a video that you may find interesting and may break some confusion.
That first one is pretty funny but also a little frightening.

That video had a lot of info... It'll take me a bit to digest that, but I think I'm getting what you're saying. Get back to ya haha

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I already gave you one

You seem to think eye witness accounts are the best method of forming conclusions about reality. You are wrong and it's blatant. Humans have a knack for mis-remembering real events and concocting wild fantasies.
So, then how do you explain my mother's prediction more than ten years in advance that she would be separated from my father when she was 40, and the eerie accuracy?

My two siblings and I, as well as numerous relatives and close family friends, all know about that prediction - and have known since before it happened.

And what about the events in the New Testament, which have been historically lined up with accounts from people outside of both the Jewish and Christian faith? For example, Jesus' existence and miracles, which have also been recorded in the journals of Roman officials.

You seem to think eye witness accounts are the best method of forming conclusions about reality. You are wrong and it's blatant.
No, I'm not saying that it's the best method. You're nitpicking inaccurately and falsely portraying my words.

Humans have a knack for mis-remembering real events and concocting wild fantasies.
May I bring to mind the numerous times throughout history, even in the last few hundred years when people considered themselves highly advanced compared to previous centuries, when scientists were flat-out wrong about all sorts of "laws" concerning physics?

And if you actually do the searching, you can find an extensive amount of scientists and researchers who are recognized by intellectual communities who have studied the Bible and confirmed that it would be virtually impossible and entirely unreasonable for the Bible to have been written and created by people, particularly when the Bible, especially the Old Testament, can be traced beyond a shred of doubt to such early times.

Your fallacious premises.
1. We have accounts of magical events occurring
2. Therefore, we should believe these accounts on absolutely no empirical data.
Even overlooking your incorrect use of the term "magical", your second point isn't entirely supported. There is sufficient evidence, proof, empirical data, whatever you choose to call it, for many of the events that are recorded in the Bible. Keep in mind: It's also a book of history.

I'm really not going to read that...

REALLY? The New Testament doesn't even follow the Historical Method.
-video-
-video-
You have to be joking
I'm 1:20 into the first video, and I'm already cringing at the bias that the video has. It's making incredibly narrow-minded and flat-out incorrect statements, and continuing to make other assumptions and claims based off of their previous.. pardon my usage of the word.. ignorant statements.
This is an issue that a lot of videos of this type have - if they make it sound professional and use big words, they make it sound convincing and truthful, even if that's not the case.

I might go back later and watch the rest of the video(s), because knowledge is something that I normally pursue, but I'm on a time limit, and I have a lot that I'd like to say and limited energy.

Another false assumption.
I already covered my bases by saying:
and if you're not just saying that arbitrarily, it'd be much appreciated if you could PM/reply with more details about the errors in my argument (which I may be able to refute/explained when pointed out) so that I can further improve my arguments in the future.
and if you re-read my concern about argumentative videos a few lines above this, that can also be applied to situations similar to this, in certain regards.

So, it's a principal that people use. It's a guideline.
Is it written in stone that it's always true? Not that I can see.
Sure, people can and do use it. They can go ahead and do so - but unless there's a part of that principal that I missed, I don't see why it has to be applied, or why it's undoubtedly true for this.

Tenebrous12321, something that we should both keep in mind is that we're supposed to be discussing Bito's friend and offering advice, not having a spat about whether or not Christianity (or religion in general) is verifiable.
I've drifted off-topic, you've drifted off-topic, we've both drifted off-topic.
I'm not as good at arguing, debating, and discussing as I used to be, so I wouldn't be surprised if I have loopholes in my logic. However, that's not to say that there are loopholes in my religion - I don't claim to be a spokesperson who's representing all of Christianity.

But before I go back on-topic, I should say one thing:

You're ignoring the element of FAITH.
This overarching debate naturally leans towards the disprovement of the religion in question. However, the reason that it's still such a popular and highly discussed topic is because one half have faith that motivates them to keep trying over and over again.

Anyways. So, Bito's friend.

One of my friends, like many teenagers, is questioning her religious beliefs,
Really, the safest and least devastating option would be to search for another Christian denomination that she can agree with.

If she stays with her current religion, I think she will live an overall happier life because she will fit in with friends and family better. There's also the comfort of just belonging to a religion. Ignorance is often bliss. But if she moves on to something else, such as atheism, I believe she will be closer to the real truth about the universe, which is what our fundamental belief systems are about.
Speaking as if I was a non-believer of Christianity:

If she's not actively trying to find the meaning of life, the reason behind our existence, and the truth about the universe, then just let her stick with the religious path. But if she's the type of person who wants to know about all of that stuff, then help her learn what you have found to be the closest to the truth, but let her ease into it. Take it in measured steps.

ahh i'm too sleepy for this

Edit: Oh, and by the way, I didn't use that World Daily News thingy or whatever it's called as my source for the red sea stuff. I was actually shown it by an older acquaintance who's studying theology, and he had a whole presentation that he showed to an audience.

Edit 2: I'm going through the second video because it's a bit funnier, and I'm finding flaws in the answers that the makers of the video provided. If this keeps happening for all of the quiz questions, as it has been so far, then I'll be able to logically and truthfully state that the video is not giving a proper portrayal of the Bible and its contents, and therefore it cannot be used to say that the Bible contradicts itself.

Edit 3: Just finished checking every question up to and including the speed round, and I don't see any point in continuing - in many questions they're very frequently mixing up the law of the land, as laid out by men, and the law of their faith, as laid out by God. They're also giving answers as if there were no room for translation and multiple interpretations, which there are.
You might be of a differing opinion, and that's fine, but I personally would not consider this a video to be shown to even an atheist crowd of researchers.

Last edited:

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This response is gonna be pretty rushed so don't expect extremely formal responses.
So, then how do you explain my mother's prediction more than ten years in advance that she would be separated from my father when she was 40, and the eerie accuracy?
And how do you explain those alien abduction stories and the errie accuracy?!?!?1

oh wait

using your logic you can't

SO ALIENS MUST BE REAL!!

Once again using your logic you have to believe every single supernatural event occurred, bs or not. Both have 0 empirical evidence and have no known mechanism by which they could occur. Actually... the aliens one makes a bit more sense because there is more reason to believe that it's possible.

My two siblings and I, as well as numerous relatives and close family friends, all know about that prediction - and have known since before it happened.
Do you know even know what evidence is? Do you even know what a coincidence is?
If it's not reproducible you should conclude that it is a coincidence.

For example, Jesus' existence and miracles, which have also been recorded in the journals of Roman officials.
Yup all of the Roman officials that recorded Jesus' miracles.
Oh wait
THERE ARE NONE LOL

There are only a few who even recorded his existence, and they weren't eyewitnesses and are writing years after the fact.

Before you even try this let me debunk the points you are about to make

Tactitus
""Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus"

First off, your fellow Christians tampered with this document, they changed "Chrestus to Christus".
Source: http://www.diva-portal.se/smash/get/diva2:288507/FULLTEXT01.pdf
Secondly, Tactitus was not an eyewitness, but is merely compiling things in 68 AD, 30 years after the crucifixion. The story would already be in circulation because it's only 2 years before the first gospel was written. It's simply impossible if Tactitus is referring to Jesus or one of the many "messiahs" around that time/geographical area. Remember that Christ is a title, not a name.

Not even going to start on the other people, go ahead try to defend yourself with other "secular" sources because they're basically already debunked.

Here's a list of people who claimed to be the messiah/Christ in the first century.
1. Judas, son of Hezekiah (4 BCE)
2. Simon of Peraea (4 BCE)
3. Athronges, the shepherd (4 BCE)
4. Judas, the Galilean (6 CE)
5. John the Baptist (c.28 CE)
6. Jesus of Nazareth (c.30 CE)
7. The Samaritan prophet (36 CE)
8. King Herod Agrippa (44 CE)
9. Theudas (45 CE)
10. The Egyptian prophet (52-58 CE)
11. An anonymous prophet (59 CE)
12. Menahem, the son of Judas the Galilean (66 CE)
13. John of Gischala (67-70 CE)
14. Vespasian (67 CE)
15. Simon bar Giora (69-70 CE)
16. Jonathan, the weaver (73 CE)
Source: http://www.livius.org/men-mh/messiah/messianic_claimants00.html

There are many people who should have recorded Jesus' miracles/existence but didn't. I'm not even going to give you a list right now because I don't want to go through the trouble, ask and I will supply.

May I bring to mind the numerous times throughout history, even in the last few hundred years when people considered themselves highly advanced compared to previous centuries, when scientists were flat-out wrong about all sorts of "laws" concerning physics?
You literally know NOTHING about how science works.
http://www.critical-thinking.org.uk...d-arguments/science-has-been-wrong-before.php
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Science_was_wrong_before

And if you actually do the searching, you can find an extensive amount of scientists and researchers who are recognized by intellectual communities who have studied the Bible and confirmed that it would be virtually impossible and entirely unreasonable for the Bible to have been written and created by people, particularly when the Bible, especially the Old Testament, can be traced beyond a shred of doubt to such early times.
orly?

Even overlooking your incorrect use of the term "magical", your second point isn't entirely supported. There is sufficient evidence, proof, empirical data, whatever you choose to call it, for many of the events that are recorded in the Bible. Keep in mind: It's also a book of history.
Yes I know it's also a historical document, but magical elements that are incorporated into it do not have evidence.

I'm 1:20 into the first video, and I'm already cringing at the bias that the video has. It's making incredibly narrow-minded and flat-out incorrect statements, and continuing to make other assumptions and claims based off of their previous.. pardon my usage of the word.. ignorant statements.
This is an issue that a lot of videos of this type have - if they make it sound professional and use big words, they make it sound convincing and truthful, even if that's not the case.
> Uses objective method
> Claims bias
Please explain to me how the Historical Method is flawed.

So, it's a principal that people use. It's a guideline.
Is it written in stone that it's always true? Not that I can see.
Sure, people can and do use it. They can go ahead and do so - but unless there's a part of that principal that I missed, I don't see why it has to be applied, or why it's undoubtedly true for this.
Skip to 6:00 and watch to the end

The main argument is... why is god necessary if natural processes can be explained without God's existence.

You said that "God could create a new planet by causing (through natural means like long-awaited meteor collisions) massive landmasses to split off of dozens of other planets at just the right angles". Natural processes can explain that, god is not needed.

You're ignoring the element of FAITH.
This overarching debate naturally leans towards the disprovement of the religion in question. However, the reason that it's still such a popular and highly discussed topic is because one half have faith that motivates them to keep trying over and over again.
Resorting to faith is fallacious because it can be used to justify almost anything.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, I didn't use that World Daily News thingy or whatever it's called as my source for the red sea stuff. I was actually shown it by an older acquaintance who's studying theology, and he had a whole presentation that he showed to an audience.
Give me a source

Edit 3: Just finished checking every question up to and including the speed round, and I don't see any point in continuing - in many questions they're very frequently mixing up the law of the land, as laid out by men, and the law of their faith, as laid out by God. They're also giving answers as if there were no room for translation and multiple interpretations, which there are.
I was considering not showing that second video because I do too agree it's pretty erroneous in a few of it's points. However you can't argue that many of the gospels are completely contradictory in key aspects.

Last edited:

Illumiigel

Survivor
Reaction score
Mooclan, seeing as it's christmas, why not try defending the existence of Santa Claus? Because it's just as absurd and a little more festive.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci