• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Ban Forgiveness Policy

What are your thoughts concerning this suggestion?

• I think it is a good idea.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • It is a nice concept, but has issues.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No opinion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It needs improvements.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a bad idea.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • THE RETURN OF LEAFYGREENTEA!

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

Aidan

Platinum
Reaction score
I think this is a good idea since most people learn their lesson after that much time, so it'd give the people that did learn a chance to change and not follow the same mistakes again.
Well I was pretty immature 10 months ago, and because of that I got banned, and now almost a year later I have matured A LOT and I cant apply for mod for a while, even though I am so much more mature and the ban doesn't represent me as a player right now.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
It would finally let me be able to apply for mod :/
It would not remove the ban from your record. Simply that if you were permanently banned and no longer able to play on the server, it would provide a chance for you to prove that you have matured, grown up, and are deserving to play on the server again despite breaking the rules in the past.

Having a ban removed from your record in order to apply for Mod is an entirely different topic.
Well I was pretty immature 10 months ago, and because of that I got banned, and now almost a year later I have matured A LOT and I cant apply for mod for a while, even though I am so much more mature and the ban doesn't represent me as a player right now.
After one year, you can apply for Mod. The ban is still on your record, but there is a policy which states that after 12 months, the ban will no longer prohibit you from applying to be a Moderator. It will be taken into account during the application and interview stages, but will not be an instant rejection on your application.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Really good idea, but I suggest hackers have to wait at least a year before being allowed to be forgiven. Otherwise, they're only sorry they got caught.

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
I feel I'm more on the conservative side of this as I disagree. Maybe it's because I see the banning process differently than others, or may it's because I've been Sr. Staff, but I think unbanning people is a really not good idea.

The way I see a permanent ban is this: A permaban is not supposed to teach you a lesson. While temp bans act as warnings to not do a particular kind of action, a permanent ban is much more final. When a person is perma banned, we're telling them we don't want them on the server. They had their chances, and they still wouldn't change. When a person is perma banned we're telling them that they have too much of a negative impact on the server for them to continue playing. I'm sure people can change, but if previous bans didn't help, than a permanent ban that can be eventually bypassed won't help either.

I've also had the privilege of working behind the scenes as a sr. mod. I've seen first-hand the underhanded, inappropriate, and incredibly rude attitude some people adopt when they get banned. There's a lot that goes on behind closed doors that the community doesn't know about and shouldn't know about. These are the people who the community loved. These people appeared very kind and non-malicious to the general userbase, but in PMs or other private venues, they would act completely different from the side they showed the forums or teamspeak.

This is not a good idea, and would make me lose a lot of faith in the administration if they ever decided to implement it.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I feel I'm more on the conservative side of this as I disagree. Maybe it's because I see the banning process differently than others, or may it's because I've been Sr. Staff, but I think unbanning people is a really not good idea.

The way I see a permanent ban is this: A permaban is not supposed to teach you a lesson. While temp bans act as warnings to not do a particular kind of action, a permanent ban is much more final. When a person is perma banned, we're telling them we don't want them on the server. They had their chances, and they still wouldn't change. When a person is perma banned we're telling them that they have too much of a negative impact on the server for them to continue playing. I'm sure people can change, but if previous bans didn't help, than a permanent ban that can be eventually bypassed won't help either.

I've also had the privilege of working behind the scenes as a sr. mod. I've seen first-hand the underhanded, inappropriate, and incredibly rude attitude some people adopt when they get banned. There's a lot that goes on behind closed doors that the community doesn't know about and shouldn't know about. These are the people who the community loved. These people appeared very kind and non-malicious to the general userbase, but in PMs or other private venues, they would act completely different from the side they showed the forums or teamspeak.

This is not a good idea, and would make me lose a lot of faith in the administration if they ever decided to implement it.
Fair points.

One thing that I believe was hinted at during a staff meeting or in the Mod chat was this:
Now that hacking is a first-offense permanent ban, they're seeking to improve the ban appeal process, because there's a much harsher consequence for hacking.

Now, I'm a staff member - obviously, I don't want rule-breakers on the server. That's why I applied for this volunteer position. However, I can also sympathize on a personal level with people who have been banned a year and a half ago, and are still unable to play with their friends on MCGamer because of their silly decision to hack or break another rule at the time.

I, myself, have been changing as an individual for the past three years, starting way back when I started playing Minecraft. At first, it was that I was becoming more mature as a staff member on small servers. A few months later, I was involved in clans and had to handle the competitive nature of players. The next year, I was one of the rising forum posters and was learning to think and look at situations in ways that I never had before. Now, I can see myself changing how I behave in social situations - I've become more friendly and able to talk to other people.

This has instilled a belief in me that anyone can change over the span of a year or more. Seeing my own personal development has proven to me that there are people out there who can mature a great deal within that period of time, and I'm sure that anyone dedicated enough to go through the proposed Ban Forgiveness process would be someone that fully regrets and is apologetic for their actions in the past.

Think about the Age Exception Process: How many people have successfully gone through with it? An incredibly small number. Off the top of my head, I can think of two people that have passed the AEP.
With the Ban Forgiveness Process, I'm suggesting something that could be as rigorous as a scan of social media activity - with consent, of course. This would in no way be as simple as submitting an application and undergoing a short review by Senior Staff.

If implemented, a person hoping to be unbanned through this process would have to show that they can be a positive contribution to the community, in return for their previous actions as a negative influence, whether they were someone who hacked or did something chat-related.

People have tried to compare bans to jail-time before, and that's always shot down. So, here's a bit of a closer comparison:
If a student is expelled from school, there are ways to appeal it. It's supposed to be the most severe consequence aside from actually going to jail. You can appeal it to a hearing officer, and if that doesn't work then in many states there's at least two other ways to have it annulled.
While MCGamer isn't on a level that major, it still shows how in a justice system involving teenage kids, there are options and alternatives. However, they're very drastic measures - and that's exactly what the Ban Forgiveness Process is meant to be! Something taken very seriously that only the most deserving can achieve.

I may not see things from the same point of view as you, but I'm trying to find a middle-ground.

P3num6ra

Career
Reaction score
I wasn't the same person I was 6-7 months ago. I agree.

Tahsin

Career
Reaction score
I don't agree with this at all. People should tyink before they do certain actions and if they're banned, they should face the full consequences of their actions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci