• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Behind the Screen

Metalclaw

Survivor
Reaction score
You know, I didn't really ever get mad at terms like "wow you are such a hacker" "scrub" "BK" because it didn't really affect me in any way. But when I started seeing the term "downy" I got really mad, I have several of cousins who have mental disabilities especially Down syndrome, it quite offending to see that you would actually say that to someone through an internet game.

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Behind each screen is a human being.
That human being has feelings that can be hurt, emotions that can be toyed with, and vulnerabilities they wish to hide.

As individuals, we all have stories behind us. Families who care about us, friends who stick with us.
There is something that forges us into the person that we are today... and there's something that can turn us into something else.

On the Internet, we can say what we want to, and express ourselves in ways that would be unacceptable otherwise.
We have freedom. Sometimes, I wonder if we have too much freedom.

"Too much freedom? How can that be?"
When it gets to the point that we can abuse the freedom... that's when it is too much.

People on the Internet seem to forget that every username represents a real, living person.
If you offend that person, it's not just a sad face that shows up on the screen. Sometimes, it can be a real mouth that curves downwards.
Dissing someone with your friends might seem funny, and telling 'Your mama' jokes could be really hilarious to you. But what about the person that you're hurting?

You never know what type of person you're talking to. You might think you do, but unless you're are that person, you will never, ever
, know exactly how they feel or what they're thinking. How seriously did that person take your joke? Did your words have a hidden meaning to them that you didn't realize? Are they secretly depressed?

Often, words can have unintended impacts. Sometimes it might get you banned, but other times the words of a single person can offend dozens of others.
If you're a content-creator like a YouTuber with a large fan-base, what will happen if you insult and point out the flaws of an innocent person who just happened to kill you in-game? Your fans might go after and harass that person, too.
Or if you're a content-creator and you say something that directly conflicts with someone else's feelings, that spark could create a flame as well.

Even if it's just two random, unrelated players who are insulting each other jokingly, what if you make a scathing remark about their old, ugly mother, without knowing that their beloved mother has actually passed away? That person could take it very seriously, without meaning to.

The list of ways that people can be offended goes on and on. Speech is more powerful than some may think. It can make or break relationships, marriages, friendships... it can even kill.

But in the same way that it can hurt, it can also heal.

Sticking by a friend in their time of need could turn into something that helps them recover. Whether it be from a depression, a family issue, an abusive relationship, or something else... sometimes, the only thing that you can do is to be there for them and be the one person that sympathizes with them.

As a person who has gone through depression, the biggest factor in my recovery was my clan family, The EliteSquad. Many of us have split and gone our separate ways, but I still haven't forgotten the impact that their kind words have made on me. I was on the verge of death, but they carried me through it using words. They were there to counsel and guide me throughout the entire thing, and I can only hope to repay their kindness.

Even though the awesome guys in The EliteSquad only knew me from a video game, and vice versa, I was able to share with them more than I shared with my family... They know more of my story than my mom and sisters do. My closest blood-relatives don't know what I had done in the past, but I entrusted to those close friends the woeful tale of my life and innermost feelings.

Likewise, there are other people who have made incredible relationships on the Internet. Even if we're separated by a few thousand miles, two screens can bring some people closer than brothers.

Don't misuse that potential. Recognize what you can do, and help out. Whether it be someone who needs a friend, or someone who has major issues, words can quite a bit - the person behind the screen may appreciate it more than you think.

[[rant/over]]
Another mind-boggling, amazing, riveting, swashbuckling post from Mooclan!

I love how you show the importance of empathizing with other players. When we say rude things to others, we don't know what will happen. Some people won't care at all. There will be others, like me, who only care what you say if you already have my respect. Then there will be those who take everything everybody says seriously. You don't know which category the person you are talking will fall into, so you have to be careful.

I'd like to take this a step further and say that we all need to tie up loose ends all the time. You can't go around being horrible to everyone and then expect to say sorry to everyone the day you leave MCGamer. (That's better than never saying sorry at all, but it's still a scumbag thing to do.) If you do something wrong to someone, you should man up and say sorry to them either the day of or the day after, and say it like you mean it. If you never apologize, you may leave a lasting scar on them, or yourself. Trust me, I speak from experience.

If you read my 250th post, then you may get what I am talking about. When I was in eighth grade, I was just getting over the stage common in teenagers in which they fail to give parents the respect they deserve. I often didn't listen to what my dad said. Had I just listened to my dad a little bit more, or helped him out a little bit more when he needed it, or spent a little bit more time with him, or said sorry to him one more time, I wouldn't have felt nearly as disconnected and lost when he passed away. I even take some of the blame for him dying so early, though he died of health issues. The day I left on that vacation, I just said bye to my dad like any other day. The night before he passed, he had a barbecue with my older brother just like old times. When the night was through, everything was over. All of his dreams were done. His woodworking projects sat in his shop, waiting to be completed, but they never to be. His music would never boom throughout the house again. If any of us had ever wanted to say or do something with him, that chance was now gone. The day of the funeral as I viewed him, I saw that he wasn't exactly smiling. I can't help but wonder if I'd said just one more nice thing, or said thank you one more time, if he might have smiled in that casket.

You never know when you will see someone for the last time. Every time you say bye to your best friend, you might never see them again. You might just get in an argument with a friend, and find his story on the news, showing that he had been hit by a drunk driver. That last conversation will be stuck in your head forever. It might haunt you in your dreams... You might think you hear bits of it in blurry song lyrics. Or maybe you didn't get in an argument-maybe you just wanted to tell them thanks for everything they ever did. In that case, what you wish you had said will bounce around in your head till the day you die. Think about it like this: For every person you cherish in your life right now, you will see them a last time. It sounds morbid, but if you can't bear to read this, then you need to wake up and realize that life is too short for weaklings. If you want to go about life in a timid and wishy-washy way, go ahead. Just know you will accumulate many regrets and miss out on knowledge, fun, friends, and places.

Your words are very powerful. A common saying goes as follows: "Talk is cheap." In reality, your talk isn't cheap. Your words reflect your desires, and portray what your actions could be some day. Your words can rally crowds of people to a cause, or prevent a suicide. I have seen suicides get prevented by kind people, and it makes me both smile and frown. I smile because there are kind people in the world, then frown because others think that just because they have been bullied, they get to bully others. I'm not going to go on a rant about bullying, but everyone should know that there is no excuse for bullying, not even a mental disorder or religion.

Thanks for the inspiring words, Moo. Twas a pleasure reading!

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score

^ Thank you. I needed to hear this. Have a friend I've been arguing with lately. :'(
:( I hope you two can work it out.

Another mind-boggling, amazing, riveting, swashbuckling post from Mooclan!

I love how you show the importance of empathizing with other players. When we say rude things to others, we don't know what will happen. Some people won't care at all. There will be others, like me, who only care what you say if you already have my respect. Then there will be those who take everything everybody says seriously. You don't know which category the person you are talking will fall into, so you have to be careful.

I'd like to take this a step further and say that we all need to tie up loose ends all the time. You can't go around being horrible to everyone and then expect to say sorry to everyone the day you leave MCGamer. (That's better than never saying sorry at all, but it's still a scumbag thing to do.) If you do something wrong to someone, you should man up and say sorry to them either the day of or the day after, and say it like you mean it. If you never apologize, you may leave a lasting scar on them, or yourself. Trust me, I speak from experience.

If you read my 250th post, then you may get what I am talking about. When I was in eighth grade, I was just getting over the stage common in teenagers in which they fail to give parents the respect they deserve. I often didn't listen to what my dad said. Had I just listened to my dad a little bit more, or helped him out a little bit more when he needed it, or spent a little bit more time with him, or said sorry to him one more time, I wouldn't have felt nearly as disconnected and lost when he passed away. I even take some of the blame for him dying so early, though he died of health issues. The day I left on that vacation, I just said bye to my dad like any other day. The night before he passed, he had a barbecue with my older brother just like old times. When the night was through, everything was over. All of his dreams were done. His woodworking projects sat in his shop, waiting to be completed, but they never to be. His music would never boom throughout the house again. If any of us had ever wanted to say or do something with him, that chance was now gone. The day of the funeral as I viewed him, I saw that he wasn't exactly smiling. I can't help but wonder if I'd said just one more nice thing, or said thank you one more time, if he might have smiled in that casket.

You never know when you will see someone for the last time. Every time you say bye to your best friend, you might never see them again. You might just get in an argument with a friend, and find his story on the news, showing that he had been hit by a drunk driver. That last conversation will be stuck in your head forever. It might haunt you in your dreams... You might think you hear bits of it in blurry song lyrics. Or maybe you didn't get in an argument-maybe you just wanted to tell them thanks for everything they ever did. In that case, what you wish you had said will bounce around in your head till the day you die. Think about it like this: For every person you cherish in your life right now, you will see them a last time. It sounds morbid, but if you can't bear to read this, then you need to wake up and realize that life is too short for weaklings. If you want to go about life in a timid and wishy-washy way, go ahead. Just know you will accumulate many regrets and miss out on knowledge, fun, friends, and places.

Your words are very powerful. A common saying goes as follows: "Talk is cheap." In reality, your talk isn't cheap. Your words reflect your desires, and portray what your actions could be some day. Your words can rally crowds of people to a cause, or prevent a suicide. I have seen suicides get prevented by kind people, and it makes me both smile and frown. I smile because there are kind people in the world, then frown because others think that just because they have been bullied, they get to bully others. I'm not going to go on a rant about bullying, but everyone should know that there is no excuse for bullying, not even a mental disorder or religion.

Thanks for the inspiring words, Moo. Twas a pleasure reading!
;-; I'm on my laptop in the dark, typing at about 10 wpm due to a painful arm position, so all I can say right now is I really appreciate and agree with your post. <3

Julius345

Platinum
Reaction score
You should write a book about the internet...just a thought

Last edited:

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Very well done. This specifically hits me because I have encountered many abusive people with no regard for what they are doing, and who have acted immaturely and wrongfully without realizing the effect they would have on others. Sometimes I get out of control and do the same thing. I have done a couple of somewhat mean or rude things that I so wish I had never done, I just didn't realize the effect I would have, one of these being a more recent occurance, and I regret doing them from the very moment they were done. We all make mistakes but we must learn to recover and do the right thing next time.

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It is, from my absolute honesty, very heartwarming to know and realize that people in the world publicly acknowledge the fact that we are human beings, we are behind screens and of course, anything could potentially occur out of the blue, when you least expect it. But what intrigues me is the fact that sometimes, people can go as far to making serious threats towards other people who don't deserve it, without recognizing the consequences of their actions.

I would have to agree with you, the internet must, and will be a place where people can express themselves, and their opinions as freely as they like, and as said, people deserve the freedom of speech.
But what is unfortunate is due to the fact that they believe in freedom of speech, they would believe they can give themselves an excuse towards harassing other people for sometimes no absolute reason at all.
"Why are you saying those sort of things?"
"Freedom of speech! lolol"

It basically sums up a handful of some people on the internet, they misinterpret the freedom of speech with the freedom to hate.
Hate is indeed a powerful word, and if put in the right context, can be destructive. But as I have stated before, people have a right towards their own opinion, a right to let them be themselves, however, they do not put it in the right manner.
Possibly, you would disagree on a subject, or disagree with a motion, and potentially hate something; we as human beings should have the common sense, and courtesy to express our opinions without beginning a total flame war. Maybe provide your reasons towards why you dislike a specific subject or product, or figure.
"I think this band is awesome!"
"I disagree, my opinion would be that I dislike something like that, it doesn't fit my taste."

We must at least provide some sort of reason, and of course, should refrain from beginning an argument with the other individual.We shouldn't discriminate others for what they appreciate, because everyone has some sort of different taste, or they have different interests.
This leads to my next point,
when people express their opinions, and finding out what they like and don't like usually offends a good amount of people, depending on the circumstances. Which begins leading to a giant flame war, which does not look pretty.
From personal experience on the internet, I have found out a new video game was announced to be released in a while's time. A basic synopsis is that the protagonist wants to die violently, and goes ahead and kills innocent people, which is the basic concept of it.
A lot of people had disagreed with the game's release, due to how much violence there is, or how evil it looks. They also believed that this would cause a large, negative influence and impact of today's society depending on who gets the game.

But, I have noticed very few individuals who were enthusiastic about the game's release, and their counterpointing argument was that of how it can provide stress relief and anger relief towards those undergoing certain issues, that could possibly be of bullying or criminal acts that were inflicted on them in the past.
Unfortunately, the minority's opinions have caused a huge flame war, which was the last thing I wanted to see.

Now this shows that we, as people are sometimes so reckless towards what other people think, I have always wondered on why people would begin hating on others for expressing their opinions, with or without reason, I would believe best that everyone deserves a say. Of course, some opinions or suggestions can seem irrational, and sometimes corrupt, although that is referencing towards politics.
But in general, our understanding of human decision is somewhat chaotic, because a good majority of people still are yet to understand when someone's opinion is relevant or not, and when they know it is taken too far.

I could also imagine when people actually put effort and dedication on what they do on the internet, of which could be digital art, programming, or simply online literature and gaming, we should understand what our words can cause, and how large of an impact it can bring on them.
If it is of criticizing a person's art, discouraging them, even when they are still ambitious.
Or criticizing our developer's and builder's hard work on the network they have made just for us.
Maybe hating on someone's style of writing, even though they are still determined to improve.
We need to understand that people do different things, and consist of different aspirations, and blatantly criticizing them for it is disgustingly discouraging.

And I do, indeed agree with you towards how much it could hurt others, if it were making sadistic references about the victim's deceased mother, or making horrible, reputation-wrecking rumors of others, the antagonist does not realize the impact, the damage they can cause out of mere words said on a screen.
We must think before we speak, and that is a major issue going around the internet as a whole.

And I do hope more actions will be taken, and seriously, if anyone continues saying awful things about other people.
We are human beings, why must we be so afraid of our diversity? Do you want to live in a society to which people are the same? Let's take to concept, consider the many alien movies we have watched, what have you noticed? Their society of their species looked practically the same, every single one of them.
If it could go from 'Alien' or 'Signs', they were the same.
No diversity.
We must consider how fortunate enough we live in a society where we, as human beings are majorly diverse, different opinions, different ambitions, different lives.
And so soon already, we are stepping in an era of technology, we mustn't take it for granted, we must use social media, or online societies for a reason, and it isn't spreading hate.

{{ I do apologize for writing so late, and I do hope you have enjoyed the read, otherwise, if it was too long, then the basic description is "Don't be that jerk on the internet, make sure you bring them to justice with maturity, and good circumstances. We are people, we should respect who we are, let's move on already and start accepting others. }}

Final notes are that if you discriminate people for opinions, or something they sometimes don't have control over, is like discriminating a poor old granny fighting to stay alive.

Everyone has a story, a life to live.
Why must we fear the diversity of people? Do we want a society where we're all the same?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci