• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Construct

J

Joel/MadDawg

Joel's 2nd Map Review
Congratulations on finishing this map, completing a full-size arena is an achievement to be proud of. I'd just like to say thank you for giving me a download of this map, so I can review it to the best of my abilities. I will judge your map on terraforming, builds, and theme (I have not played on your map so I will not judge gameplay). At the end of the review I will give a final score to the map out of ten. With that all said, lets get started.

Terraforming
One word describes this map very well: flat. There are no jaw-dropping terraforming features (a big mountain, a huge arch, a giant waterfall, etc.), and quite frankly there isn't really much of anything. The only substantial terrain change in your map is this lava pit, which I personally am not a huge fan of. There are some small hills, but it's nothing very substantial or intruiging. Also, There is a lake on the map, but it too is weird because it's only two blocks deep. Overall, the terraforming of this map is very boring and bland.

Builds
I feel like the builds on your map were plagued by the same thing; a bad case of the borings. You know its a bad sign when my favorite part of the map is the crane claws (they just look really cool to me). While I don't see fault in any of the builds, none of them capture my interest or make me say "wow". Unfortunatly, some of them even make me cringe a little (the gas station with its weird quartz-bright color combo, and these things for having awkward, mostly-bright clay sides). I also found some mistakes in other things - things that I am assuming were fixed after the making of the alpha download link I got (map creators PM me if you'd like to know other things I saw). Overall, the builds get a "average" mark from me.

Theme
The theme of this map, while not super-original or creative, is still the best part of the map in my opinion. I've always been a fan of construction builds in Minecraft, and you guys built things well enough to give me some of those good feelings. The big cranes are really cool, and a lot of the construction automobiles you guys made were also fun to look at. Some of the construction builds were a bit odd (why is the soccer field getting razed?), but aside from that the theme is pretty neat. The theme, while not original, is well done and the best part of the map to me.

Final Score
5.5/10
Nothing about this map really amazed me, so that's why I'm giving it this ok score. While nothing is really wrong or bad, the map fails to impress me that much. That's why I am giving it a rating of 5.5 out of ten.

Note:
I realize that I probably came off a bit harsh in this review, but keep in mind that I am comparing this map to MCSG maps, not any old map. This map is much better than the average finished map on the forums, and that is why I decided to review it. Please don't take what I said about this map personally, although I do realize that criticism is hard to take as a map maker. I think that if you take into account some of the things I said in this review and make changes to the map, it could be a very good map.

Turt1eManLol

Experienced
Reaction score
Joel's 2nd Map Review
Congratulations on finishing this map, completing a full-size arena is an achievement to be proud of. I'd just like to say thank you for giving me a download of this map, so I can review it to the best of my abilities. I will judge your map on terraforming, builds, and theme (I have not played on your map so I will not judge gameplay). At the end of the review I will give a final score to the map out of ten. With that all said, lets get started.

Terraforming
One word describes this map very well: flat. There are no jaw-dropping terraforming features (a big mountain, a huge arch, a giant waterfall, etc.), and quite frankly there isn't really much of anything. The only substantial terrain change in your map is this lava pit, which I personally am not a huge fan of. There are some small hills, but it's nothing very substantial or intruiging. Also, There is a lake on the map, but it too is weird because it's only two blocks deep. Overall, the terraforming of this map is very boring and bland.

Builds
I feel like the builds on your map were plagued by the same thing; a bad case of the borings. You know its a bad sign when my favorite part of the map is the crane claws (they just look really cool to me). While I don't see fault in any of the builds, none of them capture my interest or make me say "wow". Unfortunatly, some of them even make me cringe a little (the gas station with its weird quartz-bright color combo, and these things for having awkward, mostly-bright clay sides). I also found some mistakes in other things - things that I am assuming were fixed after the making of the alpha download link I got (map creators PM me if you'd like to know other things I saw). Overall, the builds get a "average" mark from me.

Theme
The theme of this map, while not super-original or creative, is still the best part of the map in my opinion. I've always been a fan of construction builds in Minecraft, and you guys built things well enough to give me some of those good feelings. The big cranes are really cool, and a lot of the construction automobiles you guys made were also fun to look at. Some of the construction builds were a bit odd (why is the soccer field getting razed?), but aside from that the theme is pretty neat. The theme, while not original, is well done and the best part of the map to me.

Final Score
5.5/10
Nothing about this map really amazed me, so that's why I'm giving it this ok score. While nothing is really wrong or bad, the map fails to impress me that much. That's why I am giving it a rating of 5.5 out of ten.

Note:
I realize that I probably came off a bit harsh in this review, but keep in mind that I am comparing this map to MCSG maps, not any old map. This map is much better than the average finished map on the forums, and that is why I decided to review it. Please don't take what I said about this map personally, although I do realize that criticism is hard to take as a map maker. I think that if you take into account some of the things I said in this review and make changes to the map, it could be a very good map.
I would to like to thank you for your time to review this map. Can i just quote that the map is supposedly meant to have features which are unfinished like the football field; as we tried to complete the theme of "construct." I would also like to say that we are editing the map at the moment with some features like the pond and Terraforming. However i really do appreciate u doing this for us.

Berserker

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Joel's 2nd Map Review

Terraforming

Builds

Theme

Final Score
5.5/10

Note:
Thanks for you feedback, but I assure you it wasn't the right time to a review. I see the no terraforming is right and wrong. We tried to make it look as possible as a real construction site e.g. flat terrain. We tried to make it more of a pvp map than a mountain climbing simulator. There is little terraforming but not much due to this reason. People like maps e.g. SG4 and Valleyside for very little terraforming because these maps are focused on pvp not aesthetics. The majority of the buildings were meant to look like they're getting maintenance. You see maps like SG4 example have one little bit of "jaw dropping" mountains. if we made one, it would just look silly.

J

Joel/MadDawg

Thanks for you feedback, but I assure you it wasn't the right time to a review.
Why'd you give me the download link then? :p
I see the no terraforming is right and wrong. We tried to make it look as possible as a real construction site e.g. flat terrain. We tried to make it more of a pvp map than a mountain climbing simulator. There is little terraforming but not much due to this reason. People like maps e.g. SG4 and Valleyside for very little terraforming because these maps are focused on pvp not aesthetics. The majority of the buildings were meant to look like they're getting maintenance. You see maps like SG4 example have one little bit of "jaw dropping" mountains. if we made one, it would just look silly.
I don't think it would "just look silly" if you had one bit of mountains, I believe it would it could increase the quality of the map exponentially. That is just my opinion, though.

WarpSki

Spectator
Reaction score
This map looks really awesome :3 I really hope someday I will get to play on this map because it looks amazing <3
Good job to everyone that helped and great job to Bsrkr :D

TheSquido

Experienced
Reaction score
This map has great features, It's a little bit like Secluded Valley [MCSG Map - By Team Mars]. I like it how you added features like broken buildings. I honestly would play this on the mcsg servers, but i think you should do a little bit more on the terraforming.

WarpSki

Spectator
Reaction score
This map has great features, It's a little bit like Secluded Valley [MCSG Map - By Team Mars]. I like it how you added features like broken buildings. I honestly would play this on the mcsg servers, but i think you should do a little bit more on the terraforming.
How is this like Secluded Valley o.o it looks nothing like it

Berserker

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This map looks really awesome :3 I really hope someday I will get to play on this map because it looks amazing <3
Good job to everyone that helped and great job to Bsrkr :D
Thank you sexy!
I have a reason for little terraforming above. I don't see any similarities with Team Mars' map. Thanks for you feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci