• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Do Violent Video Games Make People More Violent in Real Life?

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course video games make people more violent in real life!
That's why we're all posting this from our prison cells, serving our time for murder.

But here's my question: do violent video games make people less violent?

People resort to violence voluntarily (read: not self defense, not motivated by material gains, not socially-accepted violence like sports) usually out of frustration, anger, or to gain some sort of catharsis. Unfortunately, real life violence necessitates a victim, so someone has to suffer for it.

However, if a violent person has an outlet to vent their anger and frustration in a safe environment (read: videogames), they won't have to resort to real world violence to achieve the same ends. In that sense, people may still have violent tendencies, but they are less likely to act on them in real life thus reducing overall violence.

charliewolves

Career
Reaction score
Of course video games make people more violent in real life!
That's why we're all posting this from our prison cells, serving our time for murder.

But here's my question: do violent video games make people less violent?

People resort to violence voluntarily (read: not self defense, not motivated by material gains, not socially-accepted violence like sports) usually out of frustration, anger, or to gain some sort of catharsis. Unfortunately, real life violence necessitates a victim, so someone has to suffer for it.

However, if a violent person has an outlet to vent their anger and frustration in a safe environment (read: videogames), they won't have to resort to real world violence to achieve the same ends. In that sense, people may still have violent tendencies, but they are less likely to act on them in real life thus reducing overall violence.
Its a Balance. You need space to vent. However, over exposure at a young age can leave a lasting impression that this is an acceptable way to behave ;p

Ex0dUs101

Career
Reaction score
I played GTA Once and as soon as I finished I went a blood-fuelled rampage of death

In the same way, I played Guitar Hero once and next thing you know I was the lead guitar in my own band.

I played Cooking Momma once and I instantly knew how to cook up a boss Pie.

get my sarcasm pl0x

Last edited:

ChibiGoose

Platinum
Reaction score
After playing 70 hours of counter strike in one week I have no urge to shoot anyone in the head, so I would say no.

Braden

District 13
Reaction score
yea i played gta a few hours ago and im already planning my 6th murder

no i dont think it does
By the looks of you signature, I'd say it's more than your 6th...

Anyways, here's my English essay on this topic. I argued that they do not make people violent.

Do Video Games Cause Violent Crimes?

Video games are one of the most popular entertainment markets in today’s world. About 90 percent of children aged 2 to 17 play video games regularly. Based on how many people play them, many people believe video games can bring out the worst of people. Some individuals even believe that video games are a leading cause of mass shootings on schools. Although violent video games can cause competitive behavior, they do not make people violent criminals.

The research studies that have tried to show a connection between video games and aggressive behavior have been extremely inconclusive. For example, data has been inconsistent when trying to prove a link between the two. According to the FBI’s studies, youth violence has fallen recently and video games’ popularity has skyrocketed (Gallagher). Although, the evidence doesn’t prove that video games are the cause of that statistic, it still counters the idea that video games cause aggression and violence because if video games caused violence, youth violence would rise, which is not the case. Also, Max Fisher, a Washington Post author, stated that video game consumption, according to world data, doesn’t show a link with gun violence. Countries in which video games are popular are also some of the safest (Fisher). For this reason, it is inaccurate to assume that video game causes violence because the safest countries play a huge amount of video games and it hints that there is another factor that causes violence, possibly mental health issues, and not video games. In fact, various sources, such as the U.S. Surgeon General, the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission and many U.S. District Courts, have looked over the evidence recorded and concluded that there is no real link between violent video games and aggressive behavior (“FYI: Video Game Statistics by the Entertainment Software Association”). Since all of the previous sources are extremely credible and knowledgeable on the subject, it really helps to prove that there is no link between video games and aggressive behavior. In short, video games do not suggest any sort of link to violence as proved by many studies. In fact, some studies have even shown that video games can release anger and calm violent tendencies.

Many gamers use violent video games as a way to release aggression and prevents them from being aggressive in society. In fact, world data shows a trend that suggests many people use video games for just that reason. Studies have shown that links between violent games and aggression have been inconclusive but they do show that video games help with depression and hostile feelings (Robison). Since depression and hostile feelings can cause horrible crimes such as mass shootings, anything that helps relieve those feelings is helping society become safer, and not creating violent criminals that are a product of video game playing. Also, evidence shows a slight drop in violence as video game consumption rises, possibly due to those games being used as anger management tools (Fisher). Since the player’s anger has been released through the video game, it is not being released out in society and preventing them from being violent towards others. Furthermore, items people find attractive about violence and war can be satisfied through stimulation of violence (video games) and prevent real life violence (Costikyan 24). Therefore, if video games are preventing violence through stimulation of violence, they are being more of a help to society than a nuisance that causes violence. In conclusion, video games are used by many as anger management tools and prevent violence from reaching society in horrible ways.

Video games have often been used as scapegoats for violent crimes for the past two decades. Almost as frequently as those acquisitions have been made, they have been denied by research that proves video games do not cause violence. Most of the evidence that states that video games cause violent behavior have been ruled inconclusive and is not solid evidence for proving a link between violence and video games. On top of that, many people use video games as anger management tools which, again, counters the idea that video games cause violence. Although violent video games can cause competitive behavior, they do not make people violent criminals. In the end, video games are more of a help to society than a nuisance that causes crimes.

Freshly

District 13
Reaction score
Personally, no. But, as always, everyone is a different case and it can affect people differently.

ArgaJones

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
By the looks of you signature, I'd say it's more than your 6th...

Anyways, here's my English essay on this topic. I argued that they do not make people violent.

Do Video Games Cause Violent Crimes?

Video games are one of the most popular entertainment markets in today’s world. About 90 percent of children aged 2 to 17 play video games regularly. Based on how many people play them, many people believe video games can bring out the worst of people. Some individuals even believe that video games are a leading cause of mass shootings on schools. Although violent video games can cause competitive behavior, they do not make people violent criminals.

The research studies that have tried to show a connection between video games and aggressive behavior have been extremely inconclusive. For example, data has been inconsistent when trying to prove a link between the two. According to the FBI’s studies, youth violence has fallen recently and video games’ popularity has skyrocketed (Gallagher). Although, the evidence doesn’t prove that video games are the cause of that statistic, it still counters the idea that video games cause aggression and violence because if video games caused violence, youth violence would rise, which is not the case. Also, Max Fisher, a Washington Post author, stated that video game consumption, according to world data, doesn’t show a link with gun violence. Countries in which video games are popular are also some of the safest (Fisher). For this reason, it is inaccurate to assume that video game causes violence because the safest countries play a huge amount of video games and it hints that there is another factor that causes violence, possibly mental health issues, and not video games. In fact, various sources, such as the U.S. Surgeon General, the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission and many U.S. District Courts, have looked over the evidence recorded and concluded that there is no real link between violent video games and aggressive behavior (“FYI: Video Game Statistics by the Entertainment Software Association”). Since all of the previous sources are extremely credible and knowledgeable on the subject, it really helps to prove that there is no link between video games and aggressive behavior. In short, video games do not suggest any sort of link to violence as proved by many studies. In fact, some studies have even shown that video games can release anger and calm violent tendencies.

Many gamers use violent video games as a way to release aggression and prevents them from being aggressive in society. In fact, world data shows a trend that suggests many people use video games for just that reason. Studies have shown that links between violent games and aggression have been inconclusive but they do show that video games help with depression and hostile feelings (Robison). Since depression and hostile feelings can cause horrible crimes such as mass shootings, anything that helps relieve those feelings is helping society become safer, and not creating violent criminals that are a product of video game playing. Also, evidence shows a slight drop in violence as video game consumption rises, possibly due to those games being used as anger management tools (Fisher). Since the player’s anger has been released through the video game, it is not being released out in society and preventing them from being violent towards others. Furthermore, items people find attractive about violence and war can be satisfied through stimulation of violence (video games) and prevent real life violence (Costikyan 24). Therefore, if video games are preventing violence through stimulation of violence, they are being more of a help to society than a nuisance that causes violence. In conclusion, video games are used by many as anger management tools and prevent violence from reaching society in horrible ways.

Video games have often been used as scapegoats for violent crimes for the past two decades. Almost as frequently as those acquisitions have been made, they have been denied by research that proves video games do not cause violence. Most of the evidence that states that video games cause violent behavior have been ruled inconclusive and is not solid evidence for proving a link between violence and video games. On top of that, many people use video games as anger management tools which, again, counters the idea that video games cause violence. Although violent video games can cause competitive behavior, they do not make people violent criminals. In the end, video games are more of a help to society than a nuisance that causes crimes.
That was a great read.
I agree with the things stated in that post. Crimes are often blamed on video games, even if there is no evidence to support that accusation.

N

Nikola

There's been crimes related to this topic. People blame violent-games for in real-life violence. Allegedly shooting terrorists on daily bases make people more aggressive, impatient, nervous et cetera. Therefore, video games can push people too far and make virtual shooting into in real-life crimes. But is this actually the truth? I would personally say we don't know.

Bearing in mind that there's quite a lot of mentally sick people, playing shooting games may push them to murder someone in real-life. I highly doubt any normal human being on this world without any mental issues would just take a gun and kill someone in real-life, except if he's/she's mentally sick. As Col_StaR mentioned, people can use violent games to express/outlet their frustration and anger as long as they are doing it in the right way, however if that becomes an often hobby, it could potentially end up badly.

So my answer to this questions is; It really depends on the person. Also I want to add something to this: The only distress violent games could potentially cause to kids nowadays is bad behaviour. There's quite a ton of trolls in-games who love to swear and my 11 year old brother plays a lot of games. I've heard him saying the word N and F, so I instantly taught him what those words mean. He stopped using them, thankfully. Anyway, the point of this short story is that bad behaviour is the only issue that could be caused by playing violent games. Nevertheless, great thread man!

MikeDao

Survivor
Reaction score
Games does not affect my behavior. I don't get more violent because of a game. But due to always driving reckless in GTA, my mind while driving in real life is like GTA. Making insane decisions. LOL

DJ Kitty

Platinum
Reaction score
Sorta, i think it makes them more likely to react in a violent manner, but i think they still know violence is wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci