• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Do you believe in god?

Do you?

• yes

Votes: 113 55.7%
  • no

Votes: 98 48.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
id rather believe in god then die and find out it was true, than the alternative. I dont believe The Big Bang actually happened.
Can I ask why you don't believe in the big bang? There is a large amount of scientific evidence supporting it and just because you believe in the big bang doesn't mean you can't belive that God was both the first mover (caused the big bang) and that God remains an active part of our existance.

Reactions: dq

dq

District 13
Reaction score
Can I ask why you don't believe in the big bang? There is a large amount of scientific evidence supporting it and just because you believe in the big bang doesn't mean you can't belive that God was both the first mover (caused the big bang) and that God remains an active part of our existance.
The way i think about it is this:

At one point in time, there was nothing. there wasnt even time.
So how could the big bang just happen, when there was nothing to begin with.

So i ASSUME there are supernatural forces at work. in other words, God created the universe.
Although what you say about god creating the big bang actually made me think. I never thought about it that way.

MiCr2

District 13
Reaction score
The way i think about it is this:

At one point in time, there was nothing. there wasnt even time.
So how could the big bang just happen, when there was nothing to begin with.

So i ASSUME there are supernatural forces at work. in other words, God created the universe.
Although what you say about god creating the big bang actually made me think. I never thought about it that way.
Here is a very logical explanation on how the Big Bang could not have created the universe:
"Big Bang" meaning explosion. Do you know any explosion that created something wonderful, something so exact? Well I haven't. The Earth is the the right size, the right distance from the sun, orbits around the sun perfectly, has a moon orbiting our earth perfectly, all of this could not happen "by chance" or through an explosion.
If the earth was 5%, just 5%, out of order, the earths climate would be so different, we could not live here. The fact that everything is so exact just proves that it couldn't have happened through a big bang.

Kezzer

District 13
Reaction score
Here is a very logical explanation on how the Big Bang could not have created the universe:
"Big Bang" meaning explosion. Do you know any explosion that created something wonderful, something so exact? Well I haven't. The Earth is the the right size, the right distance from the sun, orbits around the sun perfectly, has a moon orbiting our earth perfectly, all of this could not happen "by chance" or through an explosion.
If the earth was 5%, just 5%, out of order, the earths climate would be so different, we could not live here. The fact that everything is so exact just proves that it couldn't have happened through a big bang.
actually if you look at the size of the universe many many many planets are not right and it is just by chance that the earth is perfect. Somewhere it had to go right and earth is the example.

Gustav Mahikano

Diamond
Reaction score
actually if you look at the size of the universe many many many planets are not right and it is just by chance that the earth is perfect. Somewhere it had to go right and earth is the example.
In a sense, Earth could be perfect for a particular reason, not that I really want to comment on the topic. It's always interesting reading people's response on this forum.

MiCr2

District 13
Reaction score
With such correction in the position of the planet and everything else, it could not happen by chance.

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
With such correction in the position of the planet and everything else, it could not happen by chance.
There are millions and millions of planets in the universe though, in fact the numbers stretch to infinity. There is an infinitessimally small chance at a planet being habitable for life, but with so, so many chances for that to occur, it's bound to happen at least once. It's only robable that if something has infinite chances to happen, eventually it will happen.

I would like to point out: I don't believe in the Big Bang myself, I just don't believe this is sufficient proof for its non existence.

Reaction score
The argument you refer to is known as Paley's Watchmaker Argument. Essentially he compares the earth to finding a watch in a forest, it could not have created itself, there must have been a watchmaker. Anyway the problem with that argument is that it fails to look at all of the variables which go against the earth being perfect. For example the earth and the solar system is under constant bombardment from metorites and metors in rarer cases. The milky way galaxy is also traveling on a collision course with our neigbouring galaxy, the Andromada glaxay. These are just two on a huge array of problems with the earth being in the perfect position. Your point also fails to account for the vastness of space ie the milky way galaxy has almost 300billion stars in it, our galaxy is part of the local group which is made up of 54 galaxies, this is part of about 100 groups and clusters which make up the virgo supercluster and this is just one of 39 (the only known superclusters, there are many more) superclusters which make up the universe. So I seriously doubt that the earth is the only planet which is habitable.
Having said that, this does not mean that God cannot or doesn't not exist it just shows that it is wrong to think that God created the universe for us. :)

EDIT: I didn't see your point about explosions not creating anything. Every explosion creates something as an explosions is just a very fast reaction.

EDIT2: If you were to use this to calculate the number of stars you would get a huge under estimate as I didn't account for larger galaxies and clusters etc. The acctual estimate is 10^24 stars or 1000000000000000000000000 stars

Last edited:

Kezzer

District 13
Reaction score
as Zeno said the chance for it to be perfect was very slim but with the near infinate planets in the universe there had to be a case that was perfect. Not all planets are habitable, most planets are not habitable at all it is all down to chance. It's like the lottery on a larger scale. For a planet to be habitable all the variables have to be right just as to win you have to get all the numbers correct to get the jackpot.

Reaction score
as Zeno said the chance for it to be perfect was very slim but with the near infinate planets in the universe there had to be a case that was perfect. Not all planets are habitable, most planets are not habitable at all it is all down to chance. It's like the lottery on a larger scale. For a planet to be habitable all the variables have to be right just as to win you have to get all the numbers correct to get the jackpot.
There are estimated to be about 50 billion planets in the milky way 500 million of which are predicted to be hibitable. Which means roughly 1/100 planets could be hibitable. This does not mean that they will be easy to live on many are still not sutible but that gives you the rough number of planets in the habitable zone which are also of about the right size so the earth isn't even slightly special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci