• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Final Arguments: Make 'eZ', 'Rekt', 'L2P' Punishable

LieutenantIV

Experienced
Reaction score
First off, let me say this: I know these threads are extremely persistent, annoying, and overall repetitive. However, I do believe that now is the time for this to be addressed, especially with the recent rewriting of the hacker ban policy. I feel like a rewrite for allocating a new rule is in order.

A couple months ago, as some of you may know, I played on another popular server. This server, after having received so many community complaints, decided to instill punishments onto players whom were ‘abusive’ in chat – this is relevant, but not limited to: ‘eZ’, ‘Rekt’, ‘L2P’, and the likes. Most of the community was very happy about this rule, but I was not. I felt it was simply silly because the whole idea was childish. My opinions didn’t mold for awhile, but one interesting statistic I seemed to accumulate from this idea was that these messages did, indeed, go down, partly due to the fact it was now punishable, and partly due to the fact that there was a filter in place – two ideas I will be discussing in this thread.

However, as time has come and gone, my opinions have changed ever so slightly, but slightly enough to believe that there needs to be some kind of change regarding this policy of ‘It isn’t and shouldn’t be bannable because...’ – it should be bannable, or at least, some measures need to be taken to attempt to tone the issue down.

The first idea I will propose, and one that I assume most logical, straight-forward, and simplistic, is that messages such as ‘Ez’, ‘Rekt’, and ‘L2P’ should be made punishable – punishable by what, that’s not up to me, but here’s why. Throughout my entire awareness of this situation, I always knew, and still do, that it is cocky, unnecessary, and quite literally rude. In its simplest form, you’re telling someone they suck at a game they enjoy to play. You’re telling someone that they’re trash.

Another reason is that the rules state that these kind of things should not be tolerated. As seen in the official rules thread..

2. Do not disrespect or harass other members:We want people in our community to feel safe and respected.

Example:

1. [User], you suck at minecraft.
  2. [User] is a hacking noob.
Take a quick peek at the first example regarding disrespecting other players. It reads, “[User], you suck at Minecraft.” And, in case you are unaware, ‘L2P’ means ‘learn to play’. In what magical, mystical language does ‘learn to play’ not mean ‘you suck’? If anyone wants to clear this up for me, I’d be grateful, because I can’t even figure out myself.

Also in the rules is this...

20.You may not exploit any loopholes in these rules.

This rule states that exploiting loopholes in the rules is not to be tolerated. As MoLoToV said in a thread he created a few months back...

“Apparantly you are allowed to “antagonize other members or staff members in order to evoke any specific reaction to the point of including up to abusive reactions.” by trash talking them in this specific way, which is, in my eyes, a loophole in the rules. You are able to bypass the rules, but it’ll still lead into the same reaction.”

Although he was quoting another rule (one regarding antagonizing other users or staff in an attempt to stir response, which is also quite interesting), it’s still very clear to myself that saying ‘eZ’, in itself, is exploiting a loophole.

Some common arguments I’ve heard from people is that it’s ‘just a game’ and the whole thing isn’t meant to be taken seriously, all of which are fair enough arguments that I’ll kindly refute. Yes, it is just a game, but that doesn’t mean you can act in an abusive manner and say/do what you want. If this was the case, rules wouldn’t be instigated. The rules are here to police players because the administration wants to create and preserve a safe, fun playing environment, which is not possible when excessive arrogance and rude messages fill the chat. In regards to not taking the situation seriously, that’s such a common, unrealistic ideology that it’s simply impossible. You can’t tell an entire majority of people to not take something seriously, and you can’t as easily herd them around like a group of sheep. If everybody didn’t take it seriously, we wouldn’t have a problem. However, we do have people taking it seriously, and that causes a problem. The problem isn’t with taking it seriously, though. If you eliminate the underlying problem, you can eradicate at least part of the ‘competitiveness problem’.

My final idea, assuming that making it punishable is not an available idea, is at least filtering out these words. I know filters only do so much, but in the long run you may just save some players a lot of hassle. Yes, they can be bypassed easily, but that’s why making the whole situation punishable is a route myself, and many others, would like to explore.

Reaction score
So you're just going to talk about the words like "ez" "rekt" and "l2p" and ignore the fact that clans and players ddos other people just because they're mad? If we compare this words with other things that happen in MCSG, these words are nothing.
If someone tells to you these kind of words, just F1 or ignore it, it's a game overall. And if really these kind of things annoy you, just close the computer, go out and have some fresh air.

LieutenantIV

Experienced
Reaction score
So you're just going to talk about the words like "ez" "rekt" and "l2p" and ignore the fact that clans and players ddos other people just because they're mad?
Yes, I am. I stay away from clans, so it really isn't of my concern what clans do and don't do. However, the chat is something that affects literally every player on the server.

If we compare this words with other things that happen in MCSG, these words are nothing.
That doesn't explain why it shouldn't be punishable.

If someone tells to you these kind of words, just F1 or ignore it, it's a game overall. And if really these kind of things annoy you, just close the computer, go out and have some fresh air.
"It's a game overall"

Some common arguments I’ve heard from people is that it’s ‘just a game’ and the whole thing isn’t meant to be taken seriously, all of which are fair enough arguments that I’ll kindly refute. Yes, it is just a game, but that doesn’t mean you can act in an abusive manner and say/do what you want. If this was the case, rules wouldn’t be instigated. The rules are here to police players because the administration wants to create and preserve a safe, fun playing environment, which is not possible when excessive arrogance and rude messages fill the chat.
You can't just F1, either. You miss staff announcements, server broadcasts, and anything else you feel you need to see. I don't take these things seriously, but lots of other people do.

MCGamerzism

Platinum
Reaction score
So you're just going to talk about the words like "ez" "rekt" and "l2p" and ignore the fact that clans and players ddos other people just because they're mad? If we compare this words with other things that happen in MCSG, these words are nothing.
Easier said than done.
  • What if it's raining outside?
  • What if your can't f1 because your grease from your fingers have jammed it?
  • What if your computer can't be shut because it doesn't let you?
  • "Fresh air"? All I see is pollution :(.

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
DDoSing can and is dealt with if it happens to players on our network, should sufficient evidence stack up to convict one of doing it. However, 'trash talk' is not the same- staff cannot ban someone for saying eZ in the same way we can ban people for DDoSing.

Also, and yes, this comment will sound a bit no lifey, but people shouldn't need to use F1 or anything of the sort to block the messages. Nor should they have to stop playing the game because of it (although regular breaks are recommended).

WookiePack101

Experienced
Reaction score
Let's not be ignorant. The topic of this thread isn't "The Faults of MCSG," it's about making player disrespect in chat bannable. Nothing Lieutenant said was wrong.

Reaction score
DDoSing can and is dealt with if it happens to players on our network, should sufficient evidence stack up to convict one of doing it. However, 'trash talk' is not the same- staff cannot ban someone for saying eZ in the same way we can ban people for DDoSing.

Also, and yes, this comment will sound a bit no lifey, but people shouldn't need to use F1 or anything of the sort to block the messages. Nor should they have to stop playing the game because of it (although regular breaks are recommended).
I'm not saying they should quit the game, just go out and take some fresh air. Everyone does that when is mad or just frustrated.

Easier said than done.
  • What if it's raining outside?
  • What if your can't f1 because your grease from your fingers have jammed it?
  • What if your computer can't be shut because it doesn't let you?
  • "Fresh air"? All I see is pollution :(.
I have no answer to that, great thinking xD

Yes, I am. I stay away from clans, so it really isn't of my concern what clans do and don't do. However, the chat is something that affects literally every player on the server.
It doesn't affect someone if they don't want to. People may just ignore it or just not pay attention to it. I don't see your point...

WookiePack101

Experienced
Reaction score
It doesn't affect someone if they don't want to. People may just ignore it or just not pay attention to it. I don't see your point...
His point is it should be bannable to say those things. You're against it, but fail to provide any reason why.

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
I like to think of both sides, so right now I am going to see if I can talk about why this shouldn't be bannable. I am not taking a side, just simply pointing out what people could/amy think when talking about this stuff. I like to look at both sides of an argument, and here is one side.

Has anyone ever played any other game of minecraft? Anyone remember the trash talking on Halo? No?

It doesn't matter what happens, trash-talking is always going to happen. People saying things to make people feel bad, yeah, it makes me wonder why people get so worked up about it.
Saying "ez", "rekt" and "l2p" is annoying, yes, but you have to just man up, and realise that everywhere in almost anything competitive, there will be people trying to work you up and get you annoyed.

Anyone play sports, I personally play a lot of football, and you'll be amazed and the things said there. The swearing and the abuse. But, do you know what it isn't going to stop.
I don't even think that making this bannable will stop it. If these phrases become bannable, then what do you think it all be fine and rainbows and unicorns? No, I don't think so. I think when these become bannable, other terms would be created and used.

My final conclusion for this side is that, it doesn't matter if they make these things bannable or not, it won't stop, so the only way that you are going to be able to deal with this, is that you simply take it lightly, brush it off your shoulder and walk on.
This is part of almost everything in life, so get back up and ignore it.

DDoSing can and is dealt with if it happens to players on our network, should sufficient evidence stack up to convict one of doing it. However, 'trash talk' is not the same- staff cannot ban someone for saying eZ in the same way we can ban people for DDoSing..
Just quickly about this, I don't know if you are with and involved around clans, but it is extremely complicated to deal with DDOS threats and bans. The fact is, it is never on the network. Sure, some idiot might threatens someone, but almost all of the DDOS related issues, are to do with services off our network.
As an example, if someone was annoyed with another clan, they may decide to DDOS one of their players during a clanwar. The staff can't get any proof off this, or ban off of it.
Even, again if the idiot said it on skype to them, the staff can't do anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci