• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

G3T R3KT - Competitive? or Disrespectful?

CAmadeusA

District 13
Reaction score
Hey you guys!

So, assuming you already have seen the competitive nature of the world we live in, we’ve seen and know the competitive nature of what has come to be most minecraft servers, you see things as seen in the title all the time, whether it be in game, on the servers, our teamspeak, or our forums; something that started as a fun little joke has spread exponentially to the point where people take it seriously. Yes, at this point, everyone says it, but simply because everyone does it doesn't make it okay.

Take a few real world examples for instance, real world (and e-) sports are riddled with people who talk trash. From the fan bases, to the actual players there is trash talk everywhere; but if said trash talk gets out of hand, sports organizations may penalize the player as corrective action. The NFL gains millions of dollars in poor sportsmanship penalties every season, sometimes up to ejecting players from games.

So, you’re probably thinking, what does this have to do with MCGamer?

Well, we have been hearing what you guys have been suggesting on our forums, twitter and everywhere else. We always love and appreciate the feedback and ways to improve (when done constructively of course). If you have any ideas, questions comments or concerns, by all means contact a member of staff, and they'll be glad to help. It’s in partiality of this massive outcry that we’re taking a stance at this time.
You might see the following message in game should you try to disrespect another player: (May not follow that exact wording, but likely something similar.)

So, where do we stand in relation to the l33t speak and trash talking that happens? Well, initially, it was a joke and not really anything more. However, the usage of it has gone completely viral and I’ve heard it said up to in real life now. So, its usage is so commonplace to be another slang term for something like "you suck" or anything relational. We are now taking a stand on this issue because of its taking a turn for an abusive nature. So, remember that anything said in the past is in the past, so if you've said it previously, you're fine. However, we agree that something needs to be done about it. From this point forward, we do not allow such kinds of trash talking within our network, due to its tendencies to take a joke to far.

So the next question in your mind is likely, "What are you going to do to help stop it"?

Good question, even in our backend our Developers have been doing things to prevent these kinds of messages from happening in our chat, and doing what they can to help ease the current situation found in that; through the use of auto removal of messages, filters, and things of the sort. Furthermore, we (as a staff team) will be taking measures to further protect our users from this kind of trash talking, as it is now an enforceable rule. So if you see it, by all means go a head and report it as long as it's after the date announced for being in the rules.

Something I cannot stress enough!

Trash talk is something that happens on a daily basis, and while we are taking steps to do what we can, nobody will be able to stop it *all*. So, what happens if you run into it? Take a screenshot and report it, but most importantly, don’t let it get to you. Often times, it’s not even meant in the long run. It’s a natural phenomenon that occurs in the world of gaming, and the real world as well. Someone who is against trash talk, but admits that he/she used to do it, is a pretty common occurrence. Even a mild-mannered people can get caught up in the moment, and the excitement can lead him/her to trash talk. Because of this, we will be lenient and take issues with this offense on a case by case basis, just to keep things fair for everyone.

So thanks for taking the time to bear with us as we took proper measures to get something like this of this magnitude sorted. Were always open to suggestions on how we can keep improving this place. In the future, what would you like to see improved around here and tell us why down in the comments. Have a great day and a better cornucopia.

NickSharpx ☆

District 13
Reaction score
second (?)
Also, no filter in my opinion, as sometimes it can also be meant as a joke, and it's unfair to have it logged, sorta.

Edit: Would've been second if I only posted it and edited it after v_v

xMetql

Spectator
Reaction score
This is something that I hated when I used to play roughly 5 months ago
I would love a filter. Competitive? I see harassment. Some people could be emotionally unstable to take those kind of "jokes" I just hated these words, I think they should be more strict on phrases that people use when people kill another.

I used to hate the phrase "GG" after someone killed me, because I see cockiness in my eyes and saying that may make me believe that they have won the game by saying that, I soon got over that knowing that most people refer to it as "good fight" so I think "GF" could be a better alternative.

And people saying that a filter would be unfair for the player if they were joking. Hackers hack because they either are: tired of losing, want to ruin other players experience, and joking around. All the same they were "Joking" it's their fault they were hacking, and to say that it's unfair to have a filter towards a person joking, I see the same occasion where people are hacking. Its there fault they were trashtalking as a joke.

Haters gon hate, don't hate on meh

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you're trashtalking and being competitive or abusive. There is no point in saying something in chat to harm another player, that's just rude and immature. Bottom line. Keep your thoughts to yourself, no need to go hurt others. I understand that people get into it and want to boast, but there's no point. It makes you look bad, and puts down others around you. I am a very competitive person in nature, however I have never felt the need to go make others feel bad after killing them. That's just pointless. It also offends me, and sets off my temper when people trashtalk others. You don't know what they're going through, if anything so keep it to yourself.

All these abusive terms should be filtered, and bypassing them would be considered bypassing filter.

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
Next time I kill someone who is playing on a potato computer i will tell them they are very talented and skilled and probably other skills in life.

you know, to be nice.

I feel like you mentioned "Competitive?" in the title to give us the illusion you thought about the other side of the argument, when it appears you haven't. You compared NFL footballers to 13 year old kids. Of course the NFL people shouldn't trash-talk, because the media is sensitive and ANY trash-talk would make the team look bad. Here, it's everyone's own reputation they are having with the words they type. Sooner or later "GG" will be filtered with these rules.

Last edited:

Dusk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I really thought this should've been implemented earlier, because these types of terms were getting out of hand, reaching new peaks and such, but hey, better late than never.

Glad this was applied. :)

Reaction score
I feel like you mentioned "Competitive?" in the title to give us the illusion you thought about the other side of the argument, when it appears you haven't. You compared NFL footballers to 13 year old kids. Of course the NFL people shouldn't trash-talk, because the media is sensitive and ANY trash-talk would make the team look bad. Here, it's everyone's own reputation they are having with the words they type. Sooner or later "GG" will be filtered with these rules.
Next time I kill someone who is playing on a potato computer i will tell them they are very talented and skilled and probably other skills in life.

you know, to be nice.
Don't double post.

You don't know what you have gotten yourself into.

jakman1001

Survivor
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. The only issue would be players who haven't yet seen or heard of this filter being implemented, the 'competitive/disrespectful' players may say something out of context and having what he said logged. Could cause a bit of disruptency, but overall very great idea. I hope that the MCGamer community continues to grow, and possibly have players gain a bit more respect for eachother.

-Just thought I'd put my input out there. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci