• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

G3T R3KT - Competitive? or Disrespectful?

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Being competitive isn't the problem if it doesn't bother other members. But when it gets to the point where it's just mostly used to verbally abuse others, it deserves to be blocked.

I'm sure people like to boast, but just like in real life, that can be disrespectful, derogatory, or just plain rude. But do people online get many consequences? No, even though the IRL braggers usually do. This calls for extra measures to be taken stopping this problem.

MisiLica

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'm glad we're taking action against trash talking. It has been quite a nuisance lately. Even though some of you may think trash-talking isn't that bad, it is. The reason what makes it so bad is that most of the time, the player getting insulted will most likely retaliate, causing the discussion to turn into a flame war, ultimately leading to banning. With this system in place, this will hopefully change the community's attitude.

Thanks CAmadeusA :)

Serecno

Career
Reaction score
i think we should give them life sentence in prison

in all seriousness tho i believe it depends on the situation so yh

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
In all honesty, from both a player and moderator point of view, it riles me when someone says that the filter shouldn't be there. To me, it's like saying "I haven't considered the fact that there's 12 year old kids playing MCSG, and they get insulted half the time that they get killed. Why? Because I want to trash-talk and use the excuse that it's competitive and good-natured."

Okay, no. Just no.
Consider this, and then tell me if my logic is flawed or not:
Any random 14-year old teenager is walking through the hallways. He or she isn't a popular kid, and maybe gets bullied once in a while, so they use video games such as Minecraft to have fun.
They log onto a server, MCGamer. They go to play a few rounds of Survival Games, after a day at school where one of their teachers was grumpy or they were given a lot of homework that they didn't want to do.
And they die a few times. It happens. No big deal. But then, the diamond donor with 500+ wins that killed them says "rekt". Isn't that going to be annoying?
And what if it happens in two out of four games? Maybe even three out of five? Eventually, that slight annoyance is going to escalate into anger and rage.

MCGamer is supposed to be a fun server where players can participate in recreations of games such as TF2 and ZedChase, and the book "The Hunger Games". I don't see how tossing insults around is in any way positive or fun for the general community.
If there's complaints about it, which there are, then there's an issue somewhere.

On the other hand, does anyone lose anything by having this filtered? Is anyone harmed?
Nope. Not unless you break the rule, even though you shouldn't be insulting anyone at all in the first place.

ImJellyfish

Platinum
Reaction score
but i liek trash talking haxorz ;-;
:p

Imo it could just lead to people saying more violent/rude words that arnt filtered making the situation potentially worse but then it might make it better

Last edited:

SuperMCSam

Career
Reaction score
Well, nah. I mean I love the idea that you want to keep the community safe, but IMO whenever any server adds a filter, it doesn't work. Love the idea though.

xMetql

Spectator
Reaction score
remember kids, if you tell someone "Kys" "drink bleach m8" its illegal and you can serve prison time for making someone contemplate suicide m8s
don't ever, say something to someone that may hurt them in any way, you don't know what their life is like

My friend was abused in their biological parents house, and they went through many different foster homes before it stopped, so when someone would tell them that, I would get proof (online js) and show the police, you may NEVER know how someones life may be outside of a video game.

And if you say that they shouldn't be online then. My Friend had SOCIAL ANXIETY and chronic depression, the only thing that would get him through that was playing online video games, so you can't ever really judge someone that you don't know truly

Myzah

Platinum
Reaction score
I really think it will help the comunity and is a good idea!

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
It's okay to be competitive. It's okay to want to win.
But it's not okay to be a jerk about it, or insist that others suffer through your insufferable boasting. That's what the trash talk filter is meant to address.

I know when I was a kind, people always made a point not to be a, "sore loser". But it's important to remember that "sore winners" exist as well.
Don't be that guy, don't trash talk others for your own abusement.

Jurud

Survivor
Reaction score
It's for the best, no matter how you say it, it does technically count as trash talking. I fully support the decision to take action! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci