• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

[HELP] Convincing my parents to get me a new PC

Illumiigel

Survivor
Reaction score
It's not that the parts I already have are broken or anything, but the things I now do on my computer require better parts in basically all areas of the PC compared to what I originally planned to use my computer for when I was building it.
Post your specs please. I have a hard time believing you are unable to upgrade a 1 year old PC unless you were on a $200-400 budget.

Girls

Platinum
Reaction score
Post your specs please. I have a hard time believing you are unable to upgrade a 1 year old PC unless you were on a $200-400 budget.
3.5 Ghz CPU
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7870 GPU
500 GB HDD
ThermalTake Commander MSi - Snow Edition Case
ASUSTeK M5A97 R2.0 mobo

and either something is wrong with the parts I have now, or they have just gotten old and worn. I'll be honest, I've lost a lot of my computer building knowledge since then, so idk ;-;

Illumiigel

Survivor
Reaction score
3.5 Ghz CPU
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7870 GPU
500 GB HDD
ThermalTake Commander MSi - Snow Edition Case
ASUSTeK M5A97 R2.0 mobo

and either something is wrong with the parts I have now, or they have just gotten old and worn. I'll be honest, I've lost a lot of my computer building knowledge since then, so idk ;-;

8GB RAM is enough, a 7870 should perform decently at 1080p in most modern games and the other components are negligible when it comes to performance, except the CPU. Please give the exact make and model, there's a massive difference between a 3.5GHz i7 and a 3.5GHz Athlon. Run dxdiag if you're unsure.

Tmclean

Spectator
Reaction score
Tell them that you need a new pc and what they would like you to do in exchange for it.

Girls

Platinum
Reaction score

8GB RAM is enough, a 7870 should perform decently at 1080p in most modern games and the other components are negligible when it comes to performance, except the CPU. Please give the exact make and model, there's a massive difference between a 3.5GHz i7 and a 3.5GHz Athlon. Run dxdiag if you're unsure.

oh and btw, thanks for trying your best to help me out here, i really appreciate it :)

Girls

Platinum
Reaction score
That build should perform okay. What tasks/games are you performing/running where you experience issues?
rendering in c4d, and rendering in sony vegas are the most notable ones

Illumiigel

Survivor
Reaction score
rendering in c4d, and rendering in sony vegas are the most notable ones
Sounds like you just need a better GPU. The 7870 only has 2gb of VRAM. If you get a card with 4GB, you'll notice dramatically increased performance when rendering.

I'd recommend any one of these cards depending on how much you have to spend:
R9 270x/290 | GTX 960/970

Unfortunately, your CPU will bottleneck any higher-end cards (possible even the 970), but you'll definitely see increased performance in gaming and rendering especially with any of the above cards. Also, try to make sure you're using GPU rendering instead of CPU (Especially if you get an NVidia card, rendering with CUDA tends to be much faster).

Girls

Platinum
Reaction score
Sounds like you just need a better GPU. The 7870 only has 2gb of VRAM. If you get a card with 4GB, you'll notice dramatically increased performance when rendering.

I'd recommend any one of these cards depending on how much you have to spend:
R9 270x/290 | GTX 960/970

Unfortunately, your CPU will bottleneck any higher-end cards (possible even the 970), but you'll definitely see increased performance in gaming and rendering especially with any of the above cards.
um, what does bottleneck mean?

Illumiigel

Survivor
Reaction score
um, what does bottleneck mean?
This video explains it pretty well. It's when one component of your PC is limiting others. For example, if your CPU can't push out data fast enough to your GPU, getting a more powerful GPU won't affect performance much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci