• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How open are you about what you do online with your parents?

Do your parents know what you do online?

• Total voters

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
i don't let anyone touch my computer unless they gain my permission, even my father (who thinks he's the ruler of the house) knows this. my computer and what i do on it is strictly for me. my parents aren't so lenient with my little siblings, but they don't spend as much time on it. my parents actually respect my privacy and don't bother with it at all, which i guess is kind of a bad thing. however they know i'm old and mature enough to handle my problems. as far as i know, the least they know is that i play video games and speak to some of my high school buddies from seattle. i change my password weekly to make sure my family doesn't use my PC.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I haven't really told them anything, but they probably guess that I talk to people I don't actually know all the time :p Not sure. Not really interested in telling them yet though :p

Fireized

Diamond
Reaction score
They don't really know, I doubt they would care. I'm a pretty good kid and I get a lot of freedom.

Reaction score
:( That's really unfortunate.
I think a person's relationship between their parents and themselves should come before video games. (I should really follow my own advice..) So if you can find a way, you should probably have a long talk with them about exactly what you do. Go through your contacts list, and maybe have a tape recording of their voice (With their permission) And prove that it's not pedophiles, but actual people. If you want, I would be more than happy to write a few pages or paragraphs detailing my personal experience, as a testimony that I have never met any pedophiles, and have made many long time friends who helped me through my personal issues.

A low, but possibly effective, method to get them to understand that what you do gives you joy is to "fake" depression. It sounds really, really evil, I know. Just minor depression to your parents. Whenever they comment about your "addiction", start tearing up, maybe crying a little bit. I don't know how empathetic/sympathetic your parents are, but if they are, then they might see that their comments are hurting you on the inside. If they're not, then don't try this.
***I do take depression seriously. It's not something to be joked about.

Edit: You can also try to explain that as Catholics, they should be compassionate and be supportive of what you want, not hard-hearted. I have to go now, but you can try to think of ways to elaborate on that. k thnx bai
I really appreciate the advice you are giving me but one of the most unfortunate things in my opinion is that my mom seems to know my online friends better than me (so she thinks) by going through my messages everyweek. I'm so lucky I use ts to talk to people because she can't check any call history since I don't use skype for calls :) But whenever my parents talk to me *like that* I'm tearing up and stuff. My mom tells me that if I keep talking to people online no one is gonna like me or be my friend irl which I sooooo disagree with.

Of course, I'm not gonna quit for her because I don't give a damn. Every now and then I get a chance to talk to her about it (when she complains I talk back because I'm sassy ._.) but it always gets really heated and I start tearing up and yeah.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I really appreciate the advice you are giving me but one of the most unfortunate things in my opinion is that my mom seems to know my online friends better than me (so she thinks) by going through my messages everyweek. I'm so lucky I use ts to talk to people because she can't check any call history since I don't use skype for calls :) But whenever my parents talk to me *like that* I'm tearing up and stuff. My mom tells me that if I keep talking to people online no one is gonna like me or be my friend irl which I sooooo disagree with.

Of course, I'm not gonna quit for her because I don't give a damn. Every now and then I get a chance to talk to her about it (when she complains I talk back because I'm sassy ._.) but it always gets really heated and I start tearing up and yeah.
Ouch, dang. I'm sorry to hear that :/ It really sucks that some families are like that.

Chiller4

District 13
Reaction score
My parents know that I talk to people and stuff because I do all of the time and they hear me because they force me o keep my computer in the dining room (there's also no room for a desk in my room xd but our house is huge.....) so if you hear me swear in a team speak you know I'm home alone :p

Reaction score
I don't think my parents know much. They know I play Minecraft a lot, make some occasional art, and play with IRL friends a lot. What I don't think they know is everyone in my Skype (although my dad saw it once or twice accidentally), my forum activity (my mom has asked me what they are if I leave them open, but I just say " nuthin" awkwardly), and all the people I've met. I've actually thought about telling them before, but the idea is really scary. There's a small chance they might be understanding about, especially since they met online ( :eek:), but I feel like it's more likely they'd get angry and ground me for a year...
if you hear me swear you know I'm home alone :p
Me too :p

TheKnightGamingHD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
O ya hey Dad I talk to people on the internet and I tell them where I live and I video chat them and I have like 200 contacts on Skype and let's just say there were some points where I got Balls deep into certain...things. KByeOffToTalkToMyFriends!

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
I feel a bit bad for my parents.

I don't really talk to them much about what I do, but they know I play MCGamer, they know I'm a moderator, and they know I talk to a lot of different people. However, I rarely tell them specifics because I feel like this is kind of my own "paradise" up in my room having a ton of fun and I don't want to share it with anyone else. :/

They respect my privacy and don't question me too much, but they do expect me to keep my grades up, be mature, and abide by house rules. I do all of those things, so they don't have much to complain about! :)

I don't curse because a) they'd probably ground me for a month and b) I feel that cursing is demoralizing. I suppose that they've helped me steer clear of any trouble online: I know clearly what's right and wrong and tend to do the right thing!

Unfortunately, I sometimes feel bad for not spending very much time with them. My mom gets upset for putting Minecraft over family, which makes me feel absolutely horrible. It's an internal conflict that I struggle with: I can either go to a mod meeting, or I can go and watch a movie with my family. They don't understand how important some of the things I do are and how many people depend on me, but then again, I don't tell them much.

I even agree: anything on Minecraft is less important than stuff in IRL, but sometimes I feel trapped online because I've made a commitment without thinking about my family. Being stuck between a rock and a hard place is extremely frustrating...

My parents learned to hate clans over last summer (I was heavily involved and spent WAY too much time in them :p) which often got me in a lot of trouble. I got in countless arguments about being able to play in clan battles, which kind of hurt my relationship with my mother. To this day, I regret spending as much time in clans as I did. Clans did nothing to improve my experience on MCGamer. While they were fun at time, they were mainly stressful for both me and my family.

Lately I've been spending a lot more time with my family because I quit clans, and I feel that being a staff member is much less taxing. There is no scheduled time I have to be on, and I don't have to do things 24/7.

As long as I remain a kind person IRL, spend time with my family, and keep my grades up, my parents will be fine with me playing even if they don't know everything of what I do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now to actually get to your question. :p Am I open to sharing what I do online with my parents?

If I need to, yes.

I don't have a problem with sharing things with them, but at the same time I'd rather not. xD I feel that if I told them more, they'd be supportive and understanding.

bbLLERMC

District 13
Reaction score
My dad thinks it's cool that I'm talking to people around the world my mom dosent know that I do. Because my parents are split up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci