• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How Would You Punish Trashtalk?

How would you punish Trashtalkers?

• Punish with Mutes

Votes: 75 52.4%
  • Punish with Bans

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Another Punishment Plan (Please specify in the comments)

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Trashtalk should not be punishable. People just need to learn to ignore it.

Votes: 43 30.1%

• Total voters

Nick

Community Engagement & Mapping Team Representative
Reaction score
Copying and pasting from my DMs to Col_StaR to see what you guys think about it.

We had our 2nd OCS yesterday and the results were rather disappointing. A total of 13 toxicity punishments including 3 permanent.

Looking at this from a community perspective, if we continuously allow for a toxic playing environment, inevitably we may start losing players. Whether it be a small of amount of players, even just a few hundred, it may still be a loss. I would like MCGamer to promote a friendly playing field with a competitive manner. When players are constantly antagonising one another it makes them become more abusive, which means more players need to be banned when it wasn’t directly their fault as they were minding their own business until someone with a trashy mouth began to start being extremely obnoxious.

My point is that; I was against the banning of trash talking in the past, but looking at these numbers, I think it’s about time we implement punishments for trash talking.

My proposed timetable:
1st Offence: 1 Hour Mute
2nd Offence: 3 Hour Mute
3rd Offence: 5 Hour Mute
4th Offence: 1 Day Mute
5th Offence: 3 Day Mute
6th Offence: 5 Day Mute
7th Offence: Permanent Mute

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Last edited:
H

Holiday

I believe that trash talk should not be punishable. As Col said, there is already a clearly established difference between trash talking and abuse. If someone is not necessarily harassing another player, then action (besides a warning) does not need to be taken. If someone cannot get over someone saying "eZ" then I think this is an indication for them to just take some time to calm themselves down. What people should be doing is not looking at what others think of them, but how they think of themselves as a player. You could be the finest player ever and still be killed by a decent player, but that does not mean that you are actually a "scrub."

Would someone actually say "get good" to you in real life? Generally no, but if they did, it is considered bad sportsmanship. This server is called the MCGamer Network. If we are going to be having gamers play on this server, then there is going to be a lot of competition. People get mad for a bit, but eventually, they completely get over it. I certainly do not see many people angry at someone who killed them and said "eZ" or "get rekt" after an hour. Everyone gets over it at some point. Not to mention, most of the people who complain do it to others at some point, too.

This is not something that can be stopped by just muting people nor by banning them. One cannot just mute people in real life so why should people be muted in game for it?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
Copying and pasting from my DMs to Col_StaR to see what you guys think about it.

Looking at this from a community perspective, if we continuously allow for a toxic playing environment, inevitably we may start losing players. Whether it be a small of amount of players, even just a few hundred, it may still be a loss. I would like MCGamer to promote a friendly playing field with a competitive manner. When players are constantly antagonising one another it makes them become more abusive, which means more players need to be banned when it wasn’t directly their fault as they were minding their own business until someone with a trashy mouth began to start being extremely obnoxious.

My point is that; I was against the banning of trash talking in the past, but looking at these numbers, I think it’s about time we implement punishments for trash talking.

My proposed timetable:

u wot m8

Vinyl

Diamond
Reaction score

We had our 2nd OCS yesterday and the results were rather disappointing. A total of 13 toxicity punishments including 3 permanent.

My proposed timetable:

If we were to add punishments for something so trivial, there's no need for tiered punishments. A 1 hour mute for every offense would be more appropriate.

Mr_Gears

God Himself
Reaction score

My proposed timetable:

Lots of people already left after the MCgamer V2 update... More after the 1.8 only switch... Not many people are going to leave because you say "ez" in chat...

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
If we were to add punishments for something so trivial, there's no need for tiered punishments. A 1 hour mute for every offense would be more appropriate.
To clarify a little bit for other people, this is only if they decide it should be punishable, you aren't for any punishment at all? This is a theoretical, yes?

J

Jojo

My proposed timetable:

It could also be the point that people leave as they do not agree with that rule and still do it. There are so many situations, I can think of, where it is even for the guy who died funny.
If someone gets muted for saying "rekt gg1000" to his friend, after he pushed him into laver, I would feel them if they left the server. I myself would be mad too, tbh. :/

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think it should be bannable or punishable, as I could see to many situations, where it is hard to determine if it is trash talk or not. But maybe if players are flaming like on the forums then the staff could give out mutes? Anyway, I do see an easy solution to this, but it would require the devs, and Col_StaR clearly said the solution would have to be something that doesn't need them since they are busy.

But, maybe sometime in the future when the devs get a chance a cool down period could be implemented so that the player who killed a player and a player that died were muted for lets say 10 seconds or something so they can cool down before they can chat. This should help reduce trash talking, as most people just trash talk in the heat of the moment. Letting them think for a few seconds should calm them down, before they have a chance to have a go at each other.

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
We should have a 10 second chat cooldown after a kill so ppl can leave before trash talk can be said.
But, maybe sometime in the future when the devs get a chance a cool down period could be implemented so that the player who killed a player and a player that died were muted for lets say 10 seconds or something so they can cool down before they can chat.
kden

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci