• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Is this a good Budget PC?

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
You should have no problem running MC at a solid framerate on decent settings with that. It seems like it'd also be great for CS.

LukeTheCat

Survivor
Reaction score
It's a solid build, but you're spending too much on a motherboard for a build of that price. Since they don't affect performance at all, I'd recommend swapping it out for this, which also fits better with your color scheme: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97anniversary

With the money saved from buying a cheaper motherboard, you'll be able to buy an SSD. Here's a good SSD which will put you under the price of your original build: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdp128gg25

This is a revised list on PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/84cvFT

Sawk

Diamond
Reaction score
I don't get why would you get that mobo if your badget is pretty low but thats your choice I guess. I've that mobo too, and its really good, I'm just saying that you should spend your money wisely, for exemple getting a better CPU, instead of getting a computer part that you wont use that much, talking about performance.

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
Get rid of the CPU Cooler, your CPU had one included. Add a CD-drive, just get the cheapest one, they work just fine. If you don't really care about the case I would go with a cheaper one. If you got some leftover money I'd suggest to upgrade the CPU to an I3 and/or the powersupply to a 750W.
Also, the motherboard is a bit expensive for this build, if you do not plan on upgrading the PC later on I would suggest to get a cheaper one.

If interested I can get you an updates PCpart list, I can not provide one ATM as I'm on my phone.

LukeTheCat

Survivor
Reaction score
Get rid of the CPU Cooler, your CPU had one included. Add a CD-drive, just get the cheapest one, they work just fine. If you don't really care about the case I would go with a cheaper one. If you got some leftover money I'd suggest to upgrade the CPU to an I3 and/or the powersupply to a 750W.
Also, the motherboard is a bit expensive for this build, if you do not plan on upgrading the PC later on I would suggest to get a cheaper one.

If interested I can get you an updates PCpart list, I can not provide one ATM as I'm on my phone.
The reason the Pentium he chose is so good is because you can overclock it to well over 4.5GHz. Sure, you could do this on a stock cooler, but you'll achieve much lower temperatures and higher stability with an aftermarket cooler. It's worth it.

Suggesting an i3 is really stupid. The price difference between a Pentium and i3 is pretty large, and i3s are all locked. He'll get MUCH more single-core performance (good for gaming) out of an overclocked G3258 than any i3.

You also suggested upgrading the power supply to a 750w for a $500 build? Are you really this misinformed about computers?

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
The reason the Pentium he chose is so good is because you can overclock it to well over 4.5GHz. Sure, you could do this on a stock cooler, but you'll achieve much lower temperatures and higher stability with an aftermarket cooler. It's worth it.

Suggesting an i3 is really stupid. The price difference between a Pentium and i3 is pretty large, and i3s are all locked. He'll get MUCH more single-core performance (good for gaming) out of an overclocked G3258 than any i3.

You also suggested upgrading the power supply to a 750w for a $500 build? Are you really this misinformed about computers?
Upgrading to a 750W supply will be enough to run almost every GPU currently out there, and it's generally only 25$ more then a 500w supply. Considering his current choise of motherboard I'm assuming he wants to upgrade it later on. IMO if it's only a few dollars more going overkill on a budget PC is good as you'll be able to upgrade it withouth having to replace the power supply.

Also, most people don't overclock their CPU, that's why I usually suggest getting a I3 insteed of a cheaper overclockable CPU.

LukeTheCat

Survivor
Reaction score
Upgrading to a 750W supply will be enough to run almost every GPU currently out there, and it's generally only 25$ more then a 500w supply. Considering his current choise of motherboard I'm assuming he wants to upgrade it later on. IMO if it's only a few dollars more going overkill on a budget PC is good as you'll be able to upgrade it withouth having to replace the power supply.

Also, most people don't overclock their CPU, that's why I usually suggest getting a I3 insteed of a cheaper overclockable CPU.
Add a Titan X to the part list and it still barely exceeds 400w. Upgrading the power supply is excessive and a huge waste of money. He can throw any GPU in there and he won't have to touch the power supply.

Most people don't overclock their CPUs because they buy LOCKED processors. I presume he chose the Pentium for that reason, even if he didn't, there's no reason to pay $30 extra and sacrifice performance for a couple minutes work in his BIOS.

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score

Add a Titan X to the part list and it still barely exceeds 400w. Upgrading the power supply is excessive and a huge waste of money. He can throw any GPU in there and he won't have to touch the power supply.

Most people don't overclock their CPUs because they buy LOCKED processors. I presume he chose the Pentium for that reason, even if he didn't, there's no reason to pay $30 extra and sacrifice performance for a couple minutes work in his BIOS.
Let's agree to disagree. You have your suggestions, and I have mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci