• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Is this helpful for schools or not?

Fam

Survivor
Reaction score
Hello my name is Matt or ChilllFam. On to the topic today I got a pinkslip for playing some games on google ^. But they did not see me do it. The librarians have a software that allows to monitor all screens connected to the internet. I was in science finishing a project and when I had finally finished there were a few computers on the desks so I played pacman^.^ Then I got a messsge to log off. So I was kind of paranoid and started to kind of mill around and my next period started do I went to class and my teacher told me to sign the pink slip.
In conclusion do you think this invades privacy or is it good for schools.
P.S. 3 pink slips is detention this is my first Pink slip. Also my first post.

P.S.S. sorry for the jumbled up thoughts I just scraped this post up together.

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
All school devices (iPads, computers, etc.) should be monitored. My PERSONAL devices (phone, etc.) should not. They're mine, and schools have no right to go through my stuff without a warrant.

replace

Survivor
Reaction score
At school, you're supposed to be focused on your work, not playing games :(

ThatTyle

Platinum
Reaction score
All school devices (iPads, computers, etc.) should be monitored. My PERSONAL devices (phone, etc.) should not. They're mine, and schools have no right to go through my stuff without a warrant.
Agreed! I've had times where my teachers made a threat to take my phone away, and it is quite unfair because they don't pay my phone bills ;-;

P3num6ra

Career
Reaction score
Lol that is some queer way of getting detention. "pink slips"

replace

Survivor
Reaction score
The thing is, you aren't supposed to be doing things other than what the teacher tells you. You can play pacman at home.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
So you were given a device with an intended purpose, and then you proceeded to use that device for something other than its intended purpose, only to be stopped by some monitoring program?
Yes, I think that monitoring is helpful for schools. It certainly worked in this case.

Maybe it would be invasion of privacy if it was your personal device, or you were using it in an environment that was private (i.e. your room). But it's not your personal device (it was given to you by the school, making it school property that would be subject to being returned), and it did not occur in a private environment (you were at school, a public environment where the school admins have domain authority). The school was well within its rights doing what it did, and being able to keep kids on task rather than distract themselves with games during school time is something I would encourage them to do.

Rhino1928

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It is school property, so yes. However if you know your way around a computer and may or may not have access to the server room... :rolleyes:

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
As a said, if it's stuff the school gives you, yes.

Let me add that I definitely don't support playing games or texting during class; however, in between classes is fine in my opinion. Besides that, if you are truly on your phone in class, I do not believe your phone should be compromised or seized. Instead, the student should receive a warning and, if he or she continues, that student should get a detention. There is no doubt in my mind that taking a student's phone doesn't teach him/her anything and it's unconstitutional (read below; only in America).

Fourth Amendment:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Nevertheless, being on your phone during class is a no-no and should result in some sort of consequence.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that taking a student's phone doesn't teach him/her anything and it's unconstitutional (read below; only in America).

Fourth Amendment:
Be careful when you throw out the notices of Amendments for situations that do not involve the US Government. The Bill of Rights protects the rights of citizens against the powers of the government, but does not influence matters that involve the powers of private parties, corporate entities, or indeed public servants (like teachers or school administrators). As such, taking a phone away from a student does not violate the Fourth Amendment, so much as it does state and/or federal law involving theft of property.

I feel I have to make the distinction because people invoke their, "First Amendment Freedom of Speech" whenever we have to censor whatever they're saying.
I always just want to say to them, "Sorry bro, we're not a government; no amendment is going to save you here. We are a private company whose rules you just broke, and we're well within our rights to censor you."

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
Be careful when you throw out the notices of Amendments for situations that do not involve the US Government. The Bill of Rights protects the rights of citizens against the powers of the government, but does not influence matters that involve the powers of private parties, corporate entities, or indeed public servants (like teachers or school administrators). As such, taking a phone away from a student does not violate the Fourth Amendment, so much as it does state and/or federal law involving theft of property.

I feel I have to make the distinction because people invoke their, "First Amendment Freedom of Speech" whenever we have to censor whatever they're saying.
I always just want to say to them, "Sorry bro, we're not a government; no amendment is going to save you here. We are a private company whose rules you just broke, and we're well within our rights to censor you."
My question for you is: Isn't the school a government thing? Schools that are public are funded by the citizens money, which is originally going to the government. If it's a private school, I understand that; however, schools are required in most states. In my opinion, school is a government facility, but it's just administrated by a superintendent and a board, which are elected positions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci