• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Is this helpful for schools or not?

Lebron12

Quantum
Reaction score
Besides that, if you are truly on your phone in class, I do not believe your phone should be compromised or seized. Instead, the student should receive a warning and, if he or she continues, that student should get a detention.
Schools are generally run by the government, and have rules which the government allows, and if they aren't met, it is up to the supervising teacher to give the punishment. Even if it involves confiscating a phone or device.

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
Schools are generally run by the government, and have rules which the government allows, and if they aren't met, it is up to the supervising teacher to give the punishment. Even if it involves confiscating a phone or device.
I definitely understand that punishing students for that should take place, but confiscation isn't the proper way. If the student is willing to give it up in place of a detention, then sure. If he/she isn't, then give him the detention and let him keep his phone. Ultimately, school is governmental and the constitution applies.

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
Fun fact, you are technically giving up some of your rights when you attend school. Freedom of speech, expression, and the right to bear arms being the ones that immediately come to mind. Do I think this is a bad thing? No. I'm willing to temporarily lose a few rights to get a good education.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
My question for you is: Isn't the school a government thing?....
Out of curiosity, I actually did some further research on the matter. The simple answer is, "technically, public school teachers are public employees. Realistically, they are not".

On the pro-government side, teachers are paid by the school district, which gets paid by the state, thus making them employees of the government. A report by the Center of Budget and Political Priorities marked school teachers and admins as public sector employees (thus, government employees).
However, various other reports indicate that teachers are definitely not considered government employees by the government either. They receive no state benefits such as state medical insurance nor a retirement fund. They also do not go through the government employment screening process, nor are they granted a government worker ID upon employment.

So are schools a government function? Technically yes, practically no.
At least the answer for private schools is easy: nope!

Fun fact, you are technically giving up some of your rights when you attend school. Freedom of speech, expression, and the right to bear arms being the ones that immediately come to mind. Do I think this is a bad thing? No. I'm willing to temporarily lose a few rights to get a good education.
True fact: police and campus officials on campus don't need, "probably cause" to conduct a search of your school property, just "reasonable grounds". Police searching your house for marijuana because you wore a Cheech and Chong shirt in public would be illegal; police searching your locker for marijuana for the same reason is totally within their authority.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
True fact: police and campus officials on campus don't need, "probably cause" to conduct a search of your school property, just "reasonable grounds". Police searching your house for marijuana because you wore a Cheech and Chong shirt in public would be illegal; police searching your locker for marijuana for the same reason is totally within their authority.
Well that seems fair and logical, considering that a locker is school property and the school should have every right to search items contained in their own property. Now if the item at question was, say, a student's personal phone or computer, then the school would need to have probable cause.

K

KiDD

Personal items...if you're not allowed to have it out...then don't. I'm sure people don't need to constantly be on their phone, as there's always another time. It's not like the school wants or really cares for your phone, or the other hundreds, or thousands students' phones.

If a school (especially) is
providing things, it's a privilege. Just got to be responsible.

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
Do I think its ok for schools to have this? Yes Do I want them to? No

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
I can definitely see that, since technically lockers are the schools. They're just giving you permission to use it for the school year. Same thing goes for dorm rooms, they're the property of the school.
So are schools a government function? Technically yes, practically no.
At least the answer for private schools is easy: nope!
Interesting topic. It really depends on what constitutes "government worker" and where technical definitions are used versus practical definitions. Personally, I would give up my phone in class if I was on it to avoid a detention or a possible office referral and I'm sure most other kids would. I'm just questioning the constitutionality of them forcing you to give it to them, regardless of any other potential consequences.

Also, about giving up some of your rights. I'd say yes, but no. The freedom of speech means that congress cannot pass a law that infringes on what anyone says or wishes to say, not that a school can't make a rule against saying sexual or other inappropriate comments. The right to bare arms is definitely being given up for obvious reasons, though. Ultimately, it's the teacher's decision because it's never actually been challenged.

Mistress_Panda

Survivor
Reaction score
School before Minecraft...

I almost failed 6th grade because I wasted learning and studying time on Minecraft..

Besides, once you're out of highschool, you can play it as much as you'd like.

Also.. Playing games may seem fun.. But is failing, falling behind, summer school, not graduating with your friends, and losing job and college oppertunities.. is that fun???

Teachers don't get mad at us to make us feel bad if we are off topic.. It's so we learn and strive like we should <3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci