• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCGamer bugs and promises.

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't qualify a tweet from the support Twitter account as a promise...
And quoting Justin, one of our developers and one of CubedHost's owners, who pretty much hit this issue on the head:

TL;DR: We're not going to invest in something we can't afford.

As for the rest of the issues, here's my response. Note that some of them are not development-related issues, and thus I may not be able to tell you much about them.
1.The Global leaderboard thing or whatever you call it.
First promised to be activated on the servers on November 12. Still hasn't happened at 5:03 PM AEAST. Was set for a week later. But still hasn't happened. I don't know why, Maybe it has lot of bugs. Not going to happen in the next week or so. We got are hopes up.
First off, the Global Leaderboards Update was never set/promised for a specific date after the initial release. It was initially delayed until after v2 release because we wanted to make sure things were stable. To be honest, after seeing all of the issues post-v2 release, I'm glad it was delayed - I'd rather have people upset about a delay than have people upset because they got 100 wins and a bug in the system caused it to erase all records of those wins (though in an ideal world, everything would be released on time and bug-free; unfortunately, that just doesn't happen with development). At v2 release, we said that with luck, we might have been able to release the update in a week; we never promised it.

After a rough few months, things are finally becoming more stable, which means that relatively soon we can begin putting our effort into stats again instead of putting all of our efforts into stability.

2. Battlegrounds.
It's completely broken on the AU servers, You can kill in the spawn area. Creepers ruin the map, hasn't been fixed. Happened after v2 was online. Complete mess to play on. Another gamemode ruined. Only one server is online on AU, it's full with hackers.
Myself and AlpakaWhacker tested Battlegrounds on AU after seeing this complaint. None of these bugs existed. And yes, the creeper-map-destruction bug was fixed shortly after v2's release.

3. New Forums art.
Was promised when v2 was supposed to be up. Fin has done so much art since then. Doesn't he remember where he got successful from?
The new website is unfortunately out of the control of the development team, as an external team has been working on it. As a result, I wouldn't be able to tell you what's going on here.

4. SGC.
So this was supposed to be a nolgastic trip to v2. Had a lot of bugs, bad tiering. Suddenly gave up on it. After more than 400+ still isn't fixed. No one is playing.
"Bad tiering" - the tiering was copied from v1. The tiering you're seeing in SG Classic is how the tiering was "back in the day".
"No one is playing" - from a development standpoint, there's unfortunately not much we can do about that, although I wish there was something we could do (it sucks to see nobody playing a game you spent tens of hours working on).

5.Texxit.
Was promised in April still hasn't come out yet, we haven't heard any updates since May.
Dave, the admin behind the Tekkit server, resigned a few months ago. As a result, the project has been temporarily put on hold until we can find someone else to lead it.

6. Moving US location to Texas
Still hasn't been done yet. No op ping Texas people. :(
See the top of my post.

7.Walls beta testing anyone!
Promised 3 years still hasn't happened. Never happened probably never will.
Given that this predates the entire current development team (with the exception of kpwn243, who I believe wasn't heavily involved in said project anyways), I can't tell you much about this one, except that we do have our own Walls-esque gametype in the works for the future.

8. More Diamond Donor upgrades
Still hasn't been done Chad what happened to the thread you were talking about.
What?

9.Deathmatch arenas.
That was promised when I had 2 posts. Still hasn't been done yet shame!
As of mid-2014 or earlier, every single SG map has a deathmatch arena.

10. Chad remember the poll you did about no-teaming servers still haven't shown up yet.
A poll is not a promise, regardless of the results.

10.Real life prizes
Promised more than 3 years ago, shame.
This is one area I, as a developer, can not explain. Maybe ChadTheDJ could provide more insight here.

Reaction score
And quoting Justin, one of our developers and one of CubedHost's owners, who pretty much hit this issue on the head:

As for the rest of the issues, here's my response. Note that some of them are not development-related issues, and thus I may not be able to tell you much about them.

First off, the Global Leaderboards Update was never set/promised for a specific date after the initial release. It was initially delayed until after v2 release because we wanted to make sure things were stable. To be honest, after seeing all of the issues post-v2 release, I'm glad it was delayed - I'd rather have people upset about a delay than have people upset because they got 100 wins and a bug in the system caused it to erase all records of those wins (though in an ideal world, everything would be released on time and bug-free; unfortunately, that just doesn't happen with development). At v2 release, we said that with luck, we might have been able to release the update in a week; we never promised it.

After a rough few months, things are finally becoming more stable, which means that relatively soon we can begin putting our effort into stats again instead of putting all of our efforts into stability.

Myself and AlpakaWhacker tested Battlegrounds on AU after seeing this complaint. None of these bugs existed. And yes, the creeper-map-destruction bug was fixed shortly after v2's release.

The new website is unfortunately out of the control of the development team, as an external team has been working on it. As a result, I wouldn't be able to tell you what's going on here.

"Bad tiering" - the tiering was copied from v1. The tiering you're seeing in SG Classic is how the tiering was "back in the day".
"No one is playing" - from a development standpoint, there's unfortunately not much we can do about that, although I wish there was something we could do (it sucks to see nobody playing a game you spent tens of hours working on).

Dave, the admin behind the Tekkit server, resigned a few months ago. As a result, the project has been temporarily put on hold until we can find someone else to lead it.

See the top of my post.

Given that this predates the entire current development team (with the exception of kpwn243, who I believe wasn't heavily involved in said project anyways), I can't tell you much about this one, except that we do have our own Walls-esque gametype in the works for the future.

What?

This is one area I, as a developer, can not explain. Maybe ChadTheDJ could provide more insight here.
The diamond donor upgrades where when Chad promised more diamond upgrades like pets and chat colours. But that is very small. Anyway I agree with the rest

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
The diamond donor upgrades where when Chad promised more diamond upgrades like pets and chat colours. But that is very small. Didn't Chad promise the leaderboards update after one week? Anyway I completly agree on the rest.
I don't think he promised pets/chat colors to diamonds, since that's a platinum feature, but I can't say for sure.
As far as Chad promising the update within a week of v2 release, that may have been a miscommunication of some sort. Our internal goal was to get it up as soon as possible, yes, but the mass of stability issues and bugs that we encountered post-v2 release delayed that.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
The diamond donor upgrades where when Chad promised more diamond upgrades like pets and chat colours. But that is very small. Anyway I agree with the rest
If diamond donors got chat colors and pets, then it would be pretty much defeating the purpose of platinum donor.

Reaction score
If diamond donors got chat colors and pets, then it would be pretty much defeating the purpose of platinum donor.
They still get /fly and top join
But I see where you are going.
I don't think he promised pets/chat colors to diamonds, since that's a platinum feature, but I can't say for sure.
As far as Chad promising the update within a week of v2 release, that may have been a miscommunication of some sort. Our internal goal was to get it up as soon as possible, yes, but the mass of stability issues and bugs that we encountered post-v2 release delayed that.
alright.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score

See the top of my post.

What?

Regarding the move to Texas: How is a statement from a Twitter directly affiliated with the MCGamer network and run by high staff members not a promise? Are you implying thay staff members are not a reliable source of information?

Regarding the leaderboards update, "However our leaderboard update is going to be delayed for a few days or up to week " - That was a direct quote from the news post regarding the leaderboards update.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the move to Texas: How is a statement from a Twitter directly affiliated with the MCGamer network and run by high staff members not a promise? Are you implying thay staff members are not a reliable source of information?

Regarding the leaderboards update, "However our leaderboard update is going to be delayed for a few days or up to week " - That was a direct quote from the news post regarding the leaderboards update.
When it comes to development work on a network of our scale, no deadline nor expectation is very reliable. Heck, no development cycle in general is ever perfectly planned. It's something that just occurs with life in general: you start with ambitions and expectations, but you have to change things midway in order to make it all work. We started out with the ambitions of a perfect Texas move and network update, and we expected it to come on a certain date, but as problems appeared unexpectedly (as they always do), we had to adjust our ambitions and expectations to a more realistic assessment.

We don't like giving people false hope nor inflated expectations, but at the time we thought that those estimates were realistic. But as time went on, it was apparent that they would not be possible, and thus we had to push them back even further. Life always finds a monkey wrench to throw into even the best laid plans.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci