• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCSG - Not Enough Mods? Way too many Hackers! PLEASE READ

Should MCSG lower their standards?

• Yes, there aren't enough Moderators!

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • MCSG is fine as it is!

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aslan2198

Diamond
Reaction score
Okay guys, as all of you know, and I am NOT the only one, hackers on MCSG (specifically EU) are just out of hand now, to the point where I would actually consider stopping playing MCSG until they sorted this, to be honest, ridiculous situation out. As I say all of this, please do not consider me to be 'burning' MCSG, and making them look bad in any way, I love MCSG, as do hundreds of thousands of people, and is one of my favourite pass times. However I now find it impossible to play MCSG on a daily basis, due to hackers. I will easily come across one hacker every 4, 3 and sometimes 2 games. I speak for everyone here and think something needs to be done.

Very recently I posted a Moderator Application, it was roughly 1200 words and consisted of what I thought was 'half decent material'. I got denied for lacking detail and needing more information, and the answers being shorter than standards. I have been told by Mods themselves that it is quality not quantity, and the fact that I got declined for 'Answers are shorter than standards', kind of seems irrelevant to me. Now, I fully understand that MCSG MUST employ the right people, because of the servers massive reputation, and security, but I seriously feel that Mods could be employed in a different way, or, 'more easily', for example, they send in a written application, and if it is good, then they move to a spoken interview. I know this already happens, but what I am really trying to say, is that they should lower their standards, for everyone that plays' sake.

I am sure I could be easily backed up by plenty of people that also consider this to be very, very, and unfortunately true. Like I said, I love MCSG, and am not trying to start any kind of flame war, only trying to help the community, and make it a better place.

Leo Harrison

Diamond Donor

ValiantMC

Diamond
Reaction score
I personally agree with this post, I also recently applied for moderator and was declined after my application was put into the pending section. I defiantly agree that they should rethink the application process as there are plenty of good moderators that are slipping through the net, possibly due to there written application not doing themselves justice. This is because they put so much emphasise on the written application rather than talking to the individual and getting a more accurate representation of the individual, another problem with the massive dependance of the written application is that there are may ways to cheat it, like, for example, I know of accepted moderators that have almost exactly copied another moderators application and this has in turn meant that unqualified moderators are now on the MCSG servers. And this could, of course, been avoided by more emphasise on a spoken application and less on the written one, which should just be a basic level of assessing the applicants knowledge and understanding of the server and how it is maintained and run.

Finally, I feel if the staff see that a applicant has put real time into the application and has obvious potential to help the server and stop the hackers, they should give them a more helpful information on how to improve and become what the MCSG servers are looking for, as otherwise they are demotivating players that care and love the MCSG servers and loosing the chance of gaining good moderators. I have actually asked personally, and politely asked the Sr.Mod that declined me to give me more information on how I could improve in future, but I have heard back nothing but silence. I hope this thread is seriously thought about by the MCSG staff team.

- Ryan

Jordan3133

Spectator
Reaction score
Yeah there is too many hackers and not enough Mods they should put atleast 2 or 3 Mods in 1 game to check if there is hackers or abuser.

Aslan2198

Diamond
Reaction score
All im gonna say is: *facepalm*.
There has been threads like this before, dozens of them infact.
Maybe if you actually backed up the situation something may happen, it's in the end people like you saying things like that, that will just make people see this as 'just another one of those threads'

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
I don't agree with this. I think that process is fine as it is.
I have also applied for moderator. I was denied my first time. Straight off denied.
I had written a 1.5k app. Of course, I was upset at first, but I spoke to people and extended on my app. It ended up being over 2k words, and better structured. It was accepted, and I am waiting for an interview.
To say, if you get denied at first don't give up.
just to say, when people say quality > quanity, that doesn't mean short apps will get accepted. the amount still means a lot.

My point is the process being hard is to get the best of the best as a mod.
They are aware of the amount of hackers and they realize that more mods would be better, especially with the summer rush.
To add, one of the main reasons for the recent age limit was changed was to get more mods.

The fact is, when the staff team make the application process easier, worse players will get the rank.
MCGamer network, wants good moderators, and an easier application process would change that.

Also, there is more and more mods everyday.
Over the last 5 weeks I have been waiting, I have seen many people get mod. It is not like they are losing more mods than they are getting.
If you have a look at the staff watch thread here, you can see that more people are getting mod than resigning/demoted.

I defiantly agree that they should rethink the application process as there are plenty of good moderators that are slipping through the net...
Good moderators, may slip through, but MCGamer doesn't just want good moderators. They want great moderators. And the great moderators make it through this process.
Yeah there is too many hackers and not enough Mods they should put atleast 2 or 3 Mods in 1 game to check if there is hackers or abuser.
Do the Maths.
MCGamer has 600 servers.
You want 3 staff members in each game.
600 X 3 = 1800
You want 1800 staff members on ALL the time.
Then you need mods to moderate the hubs, the forums, the other gamemodes.
Probably around 1900 staff members
Sorry, to disappoint, but this won't happen.

TL;DR: No. If you want a reason read it, sillies.

Last edited:

BlueHeron

District 13
Reaction score
Okay guys, as all of you know, and I am NOT the only one, hackers on MCSG (specifically EU) are just out of hand now, to the point where I would actually consider stopping playing MCSG until they sorted this, to be honest, ridiculous situation out. As I say all of this, please do not consider me to be 'burning' MCSG, and making them look bad in any way, I love MCSG, as do hundreds of thousands of people, and is one of my favourite pass times. However I now find it impossible to play MCSG on a daily basis, due to hackers. I will easily come across one hacker every 4, 3 and sometimes 2 games. I speak for everyone here and think something needs to be done.

Very recently I posted a Moderator Application, it was roughly 1200 words and consisted of what I thought was 'half decent material'. I got denied for lacking detail and needing more information, and the answers being shorter than standards. I have been told by Mods themselves that it is quality not quantity, and the fact that I got declined for 'Answers are shorter than standards', kind of seems irrelevant to me. Now, I fully understand that MCSG MUST employ the right people, because of the servers massive reputation, and security, but I seriously feel that Mods could be employed in a different way, or, 'more easily', for example, they send in a written application, and if it is good, then they move to a spoken interview. I know this already happens, but what I am really trying to say, is that they should lower their standards, for everyone that plays' sake.

I am sure I could be easily backed up by plenty of people that also consider this to be very, very, and unfortunately true. Like I said, I love MCSG, and am not trying to start any kind of flame war, only trying to help the community, and make it a better place.

Leo Harrison

Diamond Donor
I personally agree with this post, I also recently applied for moderator and was declined after my application was put into the pending section. I defiantly agree that they should rethink the application process as there are plenty of good moderators that are slipping through the net, possibly due to there written application not doing themselves justice. This is because they put so much emphasise on the written application rather than talking to the individual and getting a more accurate representation of the individual, another problem with the massive dependance of the written application is that there are may ways to cheat it, like, for example, I know of accepted moderators that have almost exactly copied another moderators application and this has in turn meant that unqualified moderators are now on the MCSG servers. And this could, of course, been avoided by more emphasise on a spoken application and less on the written one, which should just be a basic level of assessing the applicants knowledge and understanding of the server and how it is maintained and run.

Finally, I feel if the staff see that a applicant has put real time into the application and has obvious potential to help the server and stop the hackers, they should give them a more helpful information on how to improve and become what the MCSG servers are looking for, as otherwise they are demotivating players that care and love the MCSG servers and loosing the chance of gaining good moderators. I have actually asked personally, and politely asked the Sr.Mod that declined me to give me more information on how I could improve in future, but I have heard back nothing but silence. I hope this thread is seriously thought about by the MCSG staff team.

- Ryan
Moderators communicate with the players via type. You're not going to talk to a player with voice. You're going to warn them by text. Mods NEED to be able to communicate effectively and convey their point with their writing, which is why the written application is important. And, in case you weren't aware, there is an interview stage after passing the written application. Also, the average mod application is about 2000 words, so 1200 words is pretty amateur.

The application process is fine as is, and should definitely not have lower quality exceptions. There's enough bad apple mods to suggest a raise in quality is needed.

TomahawkGoesChop

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Maybe if you actually backed up the situation something may happen, it's in the end people like you saying things like that, that will just make people see this as 'just another one of those threads'
And what exactly do you want to happen? That they need to hire more mods? They wont just give out the rank to anybody, the applicants need to prove that they are mod worthy. Quality > Quantity. Also, hacker will always leave this network, but new hackers will also come.

Aslan2198

Diamond
Reaction score
I don't agree with this. I think that process is fine as it is.
I have also applied for moderator. I was denied my first time. Straight off denied.
I had written a 1.5k app. Of course, I was upset at first, but I spoke to people and extended on my app. It ended up being over 2k words, and better structured. It was accepted, and I am waiting for an interview.
To say, if you get denied at first don't give up.
just to say, when people say quality > quanity, that doesn't mean short apps will get accepted. the amount still means a lot.

My point is the process being hard is to get the best of the best as a mod.
They are aware of the amount of hackers and they realize that more mods would be better, especially with the summer rush.
To add, one of the main reasons for the recent age limit was changed was to get more mods.

The fact is, when the staff team make the application process easier, worse players will get the rank.
MCGamer network, wants good moderators, and an easier application process would change that.

Also, there is more and more mods everyday.
Over the last 5 weeks I have been waiting, I have seen many people get mod. It is not like they are losing more mods than they are getting.
If you have a look at the staff watch thread here, you can see that more people are getting mod than resigning/demoted.

TL;DR: No. If you want a reason read it, sillies.
I decided to take a small survery in fact, I recorded at 3:00pm, in all of the lobbys there were NO mods on, 4:30pm, one mod on. I will update it further obviously but am not expecting anything too surprising. Like I said, I understand, Mods need to be mature, and have the right 'qualities' to stay as a mod and be employed. And I really I'm also trying to say that they shouldn't just base it off written apps, more spoken interviews as there they can get a real interpretation of them as a person. Your point about them making the process easier is irrelevant and not to do with what I am talking about, I am talking about just simply considering people a bit more easier, so that they can then say go on to a spoken interview, rather than just getting their written app declined instantly. At the end of the day, Hackers and rule breakers are everywhere, I am getting extremely annoyed, you must be too, and I feel nothing is being done about it. Thats my point

Aslan2198

Diamond
Reaction score
Moderators communicate with the players via type. You're not going to talk to a player with voice. You're going to warn them by text. Mods NEED to be able to communicate effectively and convey their point with their writing, which is why the written application is important. And, in case you weren't aware, there is an interview stage after passing the written application. Also, the average mod application is about 2000 words, so 1200 words is pretty amateur.

The application process is fine as is, and should definitely not have lower quality exceptions. There's enough bad apple mods to suggest a raise in quality is needed.
May I just point out BlueHeron, you are a US player, I understand there are also hackers there, and Mods, but I believe its worse here in the EU

Aslan2198

Diamond
Reaction score
And what exactly do you want to happen? That they need to hire more mods? They wont just give out the rank to anybody, the applicants need to prove that they are mod worthy. Quality > Quantity. Also, hacker will always leave this network, but new hackers will also come.
What do I want to happen? MCSG to be a better place! And yes, effectively if that's what needs to be done! I know they won't give out mod to anybody, and this in my opinion a very valid and useful point. We're sitting here now typing to eachother, I don't know who you are, I don't know what type of person you are, and I can't make a clear judgement at all on you. However, I guarantee if we spent 15 mins talking to eachother, we could get a pretty good idea of who you/I are/am. My point is, Written apps do not give nearly as much information as spoken interviews do.

ValiantMC

Diamond
Reaction score
What do I want to happen? MCSG to be a better place! And yes, effectively if that's what needs to be done! I know they won't give out mod to anybody, and this in my opinion a very valid and useful point. We're sitting here now typing to eachother, I don't know who you are, I don't know what type of person you are, and I can't make a clear judgement at all on you. However, I guarantee if we spent 15 mins talking to eachother, we could get a pretty good idea of who you/I are/am. My point is, Written apps do not give nearly as much information as spoken interviews do.
TRUTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci