• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCSG - Not Enough Mods? Way too many Hackers! PLEASE READ

Should MCSG lower their standards?

• Yes, there aren't enough Moderators!

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • MCSG is fine as it is!

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaDoesPvPxD

Platinum
Reaction score
If we keep our standards high, people complain that there aren't enough mods.
If we lower our standards, people complain about the influex of lower-quality mods.

We just can't win!

I see the point of this thread, even if the wording is a bit skewed in some places. The proposal is to take less emphasis on the written application portion of the moderator application process, because some people feel that their qualities are better shown via voice instead of text. I get that, and actually argued in favor of it at one point.

The largest issue here that hasn't been addressed fully is the issue of time and practicality. The suggestion here is that the application process be changed from written application to a verbal interview. But I know how difficult interviews are for the Senior Staff, even for the < 5% of applicants who make it to Interview. Interviews require people to be present, attentive, and able to sit through someone talking for the next 20 minutes, and that goes for both the staff and the applicant. If we were to implement verbal interviews instead of written applications, the currently-difficult interview process will be expanded by 20x. It's just not realistic for us to do, as we would need a large, dedicated team of Sr. Mods just to do that one phase of the application.
The written application is a filter system that drastically cuts down on the amount of applicants we can realistically process. The system is not perfect nor easy, but the alternatives are much worse.

And I will state that while we acknowledge that hackers will always be a problem with any game or community, I do not think we are at the point of desperation as is being suggested. Lowering our standards for the sole purpose of increasing the staff numbers is a bad long-term policy: getting rid of hackers by hiring more great mods is better than removing a slew of bad mods and the hackers they are too incompetent to ban.
We cannot create a problem in the faith-based hope of solving another; that's something the US foreign policy needs to learn.

This is a situation with no silver bullets nor easy answers. But we all must do what we can to see it through.
^ This :p Also Some people, like myself prefer the written part of the mod process, and verbally applying would make it harder. So it balances it out. Also an important part of being mod is being able to appropriately communicate with players in chat and via the forums. Which you can not verbally do. So that requires you to be decent at writing. I think the application process is fine, the current mods and what they do are amazing, and there will be hackers in any gaming community, so get used to it. And more importantly, everyone needs to do their part to make the community an even better place.

GetRidaHim

Career
Reaction score
I can agree, and disagree on this, I currently have an Accepted Age Exception Moderator Application, I am waiting for my interview at the moment, although, for every hacker, there won't be a mod. Moderator is a big responsibly, and if the power of being a Moderator falls into the wrong hands, example someone who isn't active on the forums may not know what is going on in the community, or TeamSpeak, the same thing applies.

The reason I can agree to this, and understand that they may need to take some more applications into consideration is because Moderators don't just deal with hackers, they deal with trolls, screamers and rule breakers on TeamSpeak, they have to deal with the forums, and it's just the more people breaking the rules, the more work it is for every single mod in there.

I can understand why the Admins and Sr. Mods don't want to just throw Moderator permissions around is because if a Moderator that isn't responsible gets mad at MCSG, a person or the community, they might go on a banning/kicking spree, etc. it's just that they have so much power, and that's why they're so strict with it.

Also know that the higher authorities don't want to make the people that they think might resign in a couple weeks, months or even years, they want every Moderator to stay a Moderator so they can keep building their staff team, so they can overcome the hackers, and general rule breakers.

I hope I cleared something up for someone, and if anyone has a problem with something I said, quote it and post it telling me your opinion, ignore the fact that I may have repeated myself several times during this post, thank you.

If we keep our standards high, people complain that there aren't enough mods.
If we lower our standards, people complain about the influex of lower-quality mods.

We just can't win!
Than again, MCGamer isn't a small community, not everyone will be happy, I'm sure you know this already, just a reminder. ;)

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It's a battle that cannot be won, as Col said. Keep the standards consistent, and people complain of the lack of mods. Lower the standards, you'd get people complaining about bad staff. It's an endless cycle.

Lowering the age limit itself was a big step for the application. Think of lowering anything more important, let's say experience, and the contrast between the two don't compare on very many levels.

TL;DR the staff is fine as it is, and any attempt at working out a perfect system that satisfies the need for both a quantity of moderators and quality moderators isn't easy to think up.

GetRidaHim

Career
Reaction score
I don't think MCGamer needs to lower their standards, I think the Applicants need to RAISE theirs. ;) It's just so simple.

If your application was denied, don't get mad at the staff, and tell them to lower their standards, just write an improved version of your application, and send it in again, MCGamer wants the best of the best Moderators on their servers.

Pikachu

Diamond
Reaction score
May I just point out BlueHeron, you are a US player, I understand there are also hackers there, and Mods, but I believe its worse here in the EU
Hell no. You said it's rare to find one every two games. I rarely go through a game without a hacker. What's rare for me is multiple. You're wrong bud.

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather there'd be less staff members and higher standards than more staff members and lower standards.

Even if you aren't part of the staff team, there are always things you can do to help like recording and reporting! ;)

Aslan2198

Diamond
Reaction score
Hell no. You said it's rare to find one every two games. I rarely go through a game without a hacker. What's rare for me is multiple. You're wrong bud.
I said I dont go 2 games without a hacker, they're not rare, what are you talking about?

evan99m

Spectator
Reaction score
MCSG has enough Mods, they just don't give a crap about hackers. The only reason they do this is for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci