• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

"Mini-Modding"

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with mini-modding or as it would most appropriately be called, helping- usually. The problem is when people who act like mini-mods get their place in the community mixed up with an actual mod. Rather, I find that to be the definition of a mini-mod; someone who has gotten their place confused with that of a mod.

I personally feel like mini-mods undermine the staff's role in the community as well. But that's just me. Leave it to my own server to suffer the consequences of this outlook on it. :p
I feel like it instills the mindset that mods go with mods, players go with players too early. IMO, mod is a big popularity contest, but mini mods don't quite realize that before. They think that when they become mod, they'll have already impressed the staff and have easy friends. However, they've ruined their relationship with the community and lost the popularity contest.

Upward

Platinum
Reaction score
I do see it a lot. Great/well written forum post! keep it up m8!

TwistedRain

Platinum
Reaction score
As being Called mini-Mod from time to time i really in all just want to help out the server to make it a cleaner and better place for its wonderful community and staff team! <3

<3

Lunarist

Quantum
Reaction score
NOTE: Any and all flame will be removed from the thread and, if necessary, users that continuously bring flame on the thread may be banned from the forums. Let's keep this respectful, shall we?

Ah, it's been a while since I've made a thread, hasn't it? Anyways, I wanted to address what seems to be a highly debated topic as of recent, as I've seen a plethora of threads or posts making fun of people that are trying to help. I know as soon as I say this, it's going to be like scratching nails on a chalk board or cutting styrofoam, but nonetheless, this is a thread about "mini-modding" and how it's perceived on the forums.
(I will say "mini-mods" a lot in this thread for lack of a better word)

So, for those of you that don't know what mini-modding is, it's best defined as:

With that being said, let's expand on the topic a bit more, shall we? So, there are basically three point of views that we can get on the subject: the moderators, the "mini-mods", and the opposition. I'll go over and explain the tree points of views very briefly.

Moderators:
As a moderator myself, I am a reasonable source for this point of view, but each moderator has a different view on the situation. With me, I'm a bit more moderate (no pun intended) in terms of the situation at hand. There is the most often thought that comes to mind, which is "Hey, they're helping us out. What's wrong with it?" Like I said, this is my most common though, however I know it does annoy some moderators (including myself at times) that a non-staff member is "doing our job". All in all, I believe the majority of the staff team is fine with it, as it really does make our work easier, but there are times when some can get a bit frustrated with it.

"Mini-mods":
I can't give too much of a solid view here, as there are many different reasons that users want to help the staff out a bit, but if I had to guess it would be because they genuinely want to help out, they are working their way towards a better chance of becoming a staff member, or they want to be respected by their peers. Either way, they are only trying to help, regardless of their motives.

Opposition:
The opposition hates "mini-mods". They seem to constantly make fun of them, taunt them, and mock them. They don't like being told what to do or how to do something, so when a non-staff member tries, it irritates them, which can be understandable at times. Regardless, I believe that there are better ways about showing their frustration, but that isn't any of my business.
*cue mildly annoying Kermit "meme"*

All in all, "mini-mods" are just trying to help. At times they can be a bit too helpful, but they are only trying to help. With that being said, let's all be nice to each other. Remember, in theory, none of this matters. We are all a person sitting in chair (or laying on a couch, or whatever position you find yourself in whilst foruming), in a country that's on a continent, which is on Earth. Earth is a small portion of our solar system, which is a little spec in our galaxy, which is just one galaxy of (roughly) a hundred billion observable galaxies. Sorry for making you feel irrelevant and tiny, but it's true; the amount of flame that is caused by people trying to help is unreal, so let's all just be nice to each other.
Honestly, thanks for making this. I get a lot of comments about how I am not allowed to moderate chat if I am not a Staff member. It's frustrating, but we're always trying to help.

TwistedRain

Platinum
Reaction score
Honestly, thanks for making this. I get a lot of comments about how I am not allowed to moderate chat if I am not a Staff member. It's frustrating, but we're always trying to help.
A lot of people do get annoyed but have to understand that it is also not against the rules and that you are always free to help! <3

<3

Clubstep | Nate

Platinum
Reaction score

Edit: But in all seriousness, if people want to help others, why stop them? They're just trying to help out this community :/
Unless they are acting responsibly just so people will see them as a potential Moderator. They show off being in control and ready to handle the situation, but are actually faking so they can gain trust. They don't have any good intentions for the server, and just want to have power. I would classify myself as a "Mini Mod" because I want to remind others to be nice when a Moderator is not around. I don't speak up if there is a Moderator looking over the situation and he/she has it in control. I don't try to outshine a Moderator because I don't want to say that I am better at their job than they are.

Nate.

Last edited:
Reactions: J

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci