• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Mod Application Help

Was this in any way useful?

• Extremely useful

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Very useful

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Useful

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Somewhat Useful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not useful at all

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Dice

Career
Reaction score
Ok, I know I'm kind of a noob mod, and I'm a long long long way off of reviewing applications, but I've had to write a few applications and CVs in my time, and I've had five or six people asking me for help and advice on their moderator applications. The first two people I just gave a link to my app on Google drive, and obviously warned them about lying and plagiarism. But then for the last guy I really put a lot of thought into what I would consider to be some helpful guides as to writing any application, I obviously focused on the moderator application, but this was my message back to him:

The word count really doesn't matter, I know they say it doesn't and you might think, well a longer app has to be better, but I'd like to stress this, word count means NOTHING, mine was slightly short of 1100, and it was so good that my interview essentially consisted only of them telling me I was accepted.

Try to be as literate as possible, a wide vocabulary screams intelligence, slang, for the most part, is to be avoided, unless absolutely necessary.

Read between the lines, don't just answer the immediate question, fully expand upon your points. For example, when it says in what situations would you punish players? Don't just list some scenarios, explain what the crime is that is being punished, why the crime is bad for the community, how you would punish the player, and finally, how that punishment will benefit the community as a whole. I would seriously recommend reading the rules before answering this section. Also, apply some common sense to this section, I put that I would vary my punishment for hacking based on how serious the hack was, whether they had performed the hack before, and whether the player was genuinely sorry for what they had done, I.E. were they doing everything in their power to compensate for what they had done. In most cases, they cannot compensate for their actions.

Put your personality into the application, when they ask how your presence would benefit us that is an opportunity to tell us about yourself, you don't need to tell us your life story, but tell us about some of your experiences that have defined you as a character, and why you think you will work well as part of a team.

Make sure you give your application a good structure, paragraphs break up a section into smaller less monotonous chunks. I'm only a noob mod, so I'm very far from reading applications, but in my experience of creating them, I have come to realise that my more structurally sound applications are the ones with a higher response likely hood. This can also be something as simple as placing your answers beneath the question and applying a bold font to it to differentiate it from the answer.

Almost any work experience can be made relevant, whether it be working as a technician or coaching a small football team, there are elements in that role that can be applied, so put it in your application.

Ensure you have made no grammatical errors, I now know that one of the Sr Moderators studies A-Level English, so it is of the utmost importance that you make no errors, if there are two candidates of equal potential, and one has made an application containing grammatical errors and/or spelling mistakes, whom will get the role?

Finally, this may be a strange one, create drafts of your application, go through the entire application making changes, don't focus on a section at a time, if you take a long time writing then editing one section, and then have to start all over again for the next it can mean you are in a different state of mind, which can alter your writing style and make the application seem disjointed. It is better to write the entire thing, and then make sweeping changes.

If anybody has any questions, post them below, I'll try and answer them as quickly as possible.

I hope this helps some people in writing applications that accurately resemble their skills.

To make your application you need simply go here: http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/forums/apply/
Create a new thread and entitle it "Your name - Moderator Application", then follow the template provided.

WitheredGold

Platinum
Reaction score
Ok, I know I'm kind of a noob mod, and I'm a long long long way off of reviewing applications, but I've had to write a few applications and CVs in my time, and I've had five or six people asking me for help and advice on their moderator applications. The first two people I just gave a link to my app on Google drive, and obviously warned them about lying and plagiarism. But then for the last guy I really put a lot of thought into what I would consider to be some helpful guides as to writing any application, I obviously focussed on the moderator application, but this was my message back to him:

The word count really doesn't matter, I know they say it doesn't and you might think, well a longer app has to be better, but I'd like to stress this, word count means NOTHING, mine was slightly short of 1100, and it was so good that my interview essentially consisted only of them telling me I was accepted.

Try to be as literate as possible, a wide vocabulary screams intelligence, slang, for the most part, is to be avoided, unless absolutely necessary.

Read between the lines, don't just answer the immediate question, fully expand upon your points. For example, when it says in what situations would you punish players? Don't just list some scenarios, explain what the crime is that is being punished, why the crime is bad for the community, how you would punish the player, and finally, how that punishment will benefit the community as a whole. I would seriously recommend reading the rules before answering this section. Also, apply some common sense to this section, I put that I would vary my punishment for hacking based on how serious the hack was, whether they had performed the hack before, and whether the player was genuinely sorry for what they had done, I.E. were they doing everything in their power to compensate for what they had done. In most cases, they cannot compensate for their actions.

Put your personality into the application, when they ask how your presence would benefit us that is an opportunity to tell us about yourself, you don't need to tell us your life story, but tell us about some of your experiences that have defined you as a character, and why you think you will work well as part of a team.

Make sure you give your application a good structure, paragraphs break up a section into smaller less monotonous chunks. I'm only a noon mod, so I'm very far from reading applications, but in my experience of creating them, I have come to realise that my more structurally sound applications are the ones with a higher response likely hood. This can also be something as simple as placing your answers beneath the question and applying a bold font to it to differentiate it from the answer.

Almost any work experience can be made relevant, whether it be working as a technician or coaching a small football team, there are elements in that role that can be applied, so put it in your application.

Ensure you have made no grammatical errors, I now know that one of the Sr Moderators studies A-Level English, so it is of the utmost importance that you make no errors, if there are two candidates of equal potential, and one has made an application containing grammatical errors and/or spelling mistakes, whom will get the role?

Finally, this may be a strange one, create drafts of your application, go through the entire application making changes, don't focus on a section at a time, if you take a long time writing then editing one section, and then have to start all over again for the next it can mean you are in a different state of mind, which can alter you writing style and make the application seem disjointed. It is better to write the entire thing, and then make sweeping changes.

I hope this helps some people in writing applications that accurately resemble their skills.

I also hope I'm not going to get into trouble for showing my application to a few people, if they decide to copy it, I'm sure you'll be able to catch them out by asking them how to set up a FTP server for windows server 2000. :p
Thanks.. this will help me next year when writing it :p

Angryjukebox

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Great advice. Although this didnt really help me, as I've made my fair share of applications in my day, I bet it will help many.

Tigerstain

Diamond
Reaction score
Awesome! Also, thank you for getting the Sr. Staff to begin discussing exceptions due to age! Be sure to keep Korrenian and I updated on teamspeak! :)

Mr Dice

Career
Reaction score
Awesome! Also, thank you for getting the Sr. Staff to begin discussing exceptions due to age! Be sure to keep Korrenian and I updated on teamspeak! :)
I didn't get them talking about it, I just logged on and they were discussing it, and I never said the Sr Staff were, and I think it was just kind of... in passing that they were talking about it.

Tigerstain

Diamond
Reaction score
I didn't get them talking about it, I just logged on and they were discussing it, and I never said the St Staff were.
Oh, well then Korrenian exaggerated a bit in telling me :p Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway! Thanks for fighting on our side :)

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
Thanks! This is very helpful! I enjoyed that you included points about the interview part of the process. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci