• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Nadarekyle's Lobby Contest Entry!

Lechips11

Survivor
Reaction score
Okay, finally got round to seeing the final product...

Let me start off by saying it's absolutely stunning. The visuals, the idea, I love it. In fact, it's probably the best lobby I've seen (thus far). There are only a few little nitpicks: It is a little too dark when walking up those stairs. As I mentioned before in my prevous post, I loved the little glowstone lighting. However, I feel it needs more light; how about one of your hanging glowstone chandeliers which are frequently seen in the ground floor? I don't know, it just seems very dark. Your little biome squares (the one with the desert, oak tree, jungle tree and spruce tree) is a great idea, and should be implemented. However, I feel it needs more variety with the biome choices, as three hold trees. How about a mushroom biome with a giant mushroom, to replace your spruce tree grid? The spruce tree needs snow, if it won't be replaced. If you understandably don't have a clue about what I'm going on about, I'm talking about the biome grids seen in the 6th picture of the opening post. The last problem I have is the parkour. It's not that it's difficult (it IS very difficult), but that the reward is easily accessible by people who don't complete the challenge, and therefore there's no point in completing the parkour.

Overall, I can see a LOT of detail being put into this lobby, it's absolutely amazing. Good job, and I hope this gets picked!

Nadarekyle

Career
Reaction score
Okay, finally got round to seeing the final product...

Let me start off by saying it's absolutely stunning. The visuals, the idea, I love it. In fact, it's probably the best lobby I've seen (thus far). There are only a few little nitpicks: It is a little too dark when walking up those stairs. As I mentioned before in my prevous post, I loved the little glowstone lighting. However, I feel it needs more light; how about one of your hanging glowstone chandeliers which are frequently seen in the ground floor? I don't know, it just seems very dark. Your little biome squares (the one with the desert, oak tree, jungle tree and spruce tree) is a great idea, and should be implemented. However, I feel it needs more variety with the biome choices, as three hold trees. How about a mushroom biome with a giant mushroom, to replace your spruce tree grid? The spruce tree needs snow, if it won't be replaced. If you understandably don't have a clue about what I'm going on about, I'm talking about the biome grids seen in the 6th picture of the opening post. The last problem I have is the parkour. It's not that it's difficult (it IS very difficult), but that the reward is easily accessible by people who don't complete the challenge, and therefore there's no point in completing the parkour.

Overall, I can see a LOT of detail being put into this lobby, it's absolutely amazing. Good job, and I hope this gets picked!
Thanks again! I'm glad you like the map! Now, about your critique:

Darkness on the stairs: That's very understandable, and I agree that it is a bit too dark. However, when lit up, the stairs look really awkward, and there's no real good looking place for lighting. I'll keep looking, but don't expect too much here.

Biome Squares: I also agree on the weird excess of trees, but think for a second about how unbalanced a mushroom island biome would look up there. In fact, initially, there was one. I took it down and replaced it with the Jungle Biome because it looked strange.
Spruce Biome. I added snow, but it all melted. :( I can try giving it another go and just ending the world really fast though :p

Parkour Reward Issue: Now, here's where I'm not sure what you're going on about. The only way to flip those levers is definitely by finishing the course, and the reward (if you haven't figured out the right one) is the Infestation Room with the Creeper Egg, which is definitely not accessible any other way.

One thing I'd love some critique/opinion on that I haven't heard yet is the club. I like my club. :p

EDIT: Spruce has snow.

Lechips11

Survivor
Reaction score
Parkour Reward Issue: Now, here's where I'm not sure what you're going on about. The only way to flip those levers is definitely by finishing the course, and the reward (if you haven't figured out the right one) is the Infestation Room with the Creeper Egg, which is definitely not accessible any other way.
Hmm, sorry for not explaining myself clearly. What I'm saying here is that once you flip the levers, anybody can visit the creeper room. It doesn't reward you, it rewards everybody, those who didn't earn it.

Ah, by the club, do you mean the Pro Pit room? It's brilliant.

Nadarekyle

Career
Reaction score
Hmm, sorry for not explaining myself clearly. What I'm saying here is that once you flip the levers, anybody can visit the creeper room. It doesn't reward you, it rewards everybody, those who didn't earn it.
Hmmm, that's true...
Honestly, I implemented that so that, if the map gets accepted officially, I can use that to judge whether anyone beat the parkour course, which, to be perfectly honest, I don't think anyone will manage to. The most any of us who made it could do in one run on survival was 3/4 of the way up.

So, about that, I think that the fact that anyone beat it under normal lobby circumstances is grounds for anyone to enter the creeper room. If there's a lobby round where more than one person completes that course, then holy hats off to you.

And thanks for the club input ^_^

Lechips11

Survivor
Reaction score
It does create an atmosphere, but it's a bit....gloomy.
I personally didn't notice the darkness... for me it actually seemed well lit up! Apart from the stairs of course, which I mentioned earlier. There is one area where the darkness creates an atmosphere, and that's the club; I feel the moody lighting works well with the area. I admit though, the pictures in the opening post do make the lobby look less lit up.

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
I personally didn't notice the darkness... for me it actually seemed well lit up! Apart from the stairs of course, which I mentioned earlier. There is one area where the darkness creates an atmosphere, and that's the club; I feel the moody lighting works well with the area. I admit though, the pictures in the opening post do make the lobby look less lit up.
Ah, I haven't actually been able to download the map due to a faulty 7Zip, so I've just been operating of those pictures, which did make it seem a bit dark. I'll take your word for it, though.

Nadarekyle

Career
Reaction score
Ah, I haven't actually been able to download the map due to a faulty 7Zip, so I've just been operating of those pictures, which did make it seem a bit dark. I'll take your word for it, though.
Yeah, I think it is a bit darker in the pictures than in the actual map.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci