• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Newest Apple iMac minecraft performance

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm going to be getting the newest model of the apple iMac for my birthday this year, and I was wondering if anyone has one, and how well it runs minecraft. I'm not going to be getting an actual computer to go with it, just the iMac itself.

From what I know, they have fairly decent graphics cards, and the FPS isn't too bad.

What I'm asking from anyone who knows Macs well, or preferably, has experience with the newest model is:

-Can it run shaders with at least 40 FPS?

-Can it run max settings with a steady FPS rate?

I don't neccessarily have high FPS standards, but I'd really like to know how well this will run minecraft.

Please, please, please, do not do the typical "Get a Windows, noob", because I'd rather have a Mac. This thread is more or less for learning what to expect, and if from what I hear, it's bad, I might look into a decent Windows computer. Even with that said, please try to at least help with the question at hand, rather than telling me to just get a windows >.<

Link to the specs, and current model I'm getting-
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple&#...rive/4840582.p?id=1218541221855&skuId=4840582

Thanks! :)

Le0

District 13
Reaction score
Looks pretty decent, it should be able to do all that you specified. Then again, its a mac so I'm not too sure.

(Aaaand I am going to be the person who says you could get an even better Windows for a lower price. XP)

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
Looks pretty decent, it should be able to do all that you specified. Then again, its a mac so I'm not too sure.

(Aaaand I am going to be the person who says you could get an even better Windows for a lower price. XP)
True >.< I've considered Windows, and even though it's cheaper, I like the Mac "GUI", and systems a lot better. While it's a lot more expensive, I just like them better, for no reason, really xD

Dah_Hobbit

District 13
Reaction score
You should get it. My dad has one and I get to do all the really good settings and i get like 100 fps with 8 different programs running. It may be expensive but it can do alot of different programs and rarely gets viruses.

Linkdude1997

Platinum
Reaction score
Yep, it'll definitely be able to run shaders with at least 40FPS. I wouldn't recommend ever trying to record with shaders though on it. :p I've got a 2 yr old Mac Mini and I can run max settings default texture pack at 150fps, so you should have no problems.

With no texture pack max settings, you should be able to easily get 200+fps. ;)

Psst, there's also the option of getting a godly PC for $1800 and installing Mac OS X onto it.

toby22

District 13
Reaction score
Yep, it'll definitely be able to run shaders with at least 40FPS. I wouldn't recommend ever trying to record with shaders though on it. :p I've got a 2 yr old Mac Mini and I can run max settings default texture pack at 150fps, so you should have no problems.

Psst, there's also the option of getting a godly PC for $1800 and installing Mac OS X onto it.
How would you get the MAC OS X disk?

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
I actually have that on my laptop xD

I'm not really sure. My friend had purchased it online at one point, and may or may not have given me a copy >.<

You should get it. My dad has one and I get to do all the really good settings and i get like 100 fps with 8 different programs running. It may be expensive but it can do alot of different programs and rarely gets viruses.
Awesome! Glad to hear. Quite excited now xD

Perfect! Really glad to hear! That's much better than my current computer. I'm crossing my fingers to be able to run shaders! :)

Linkdude1997

Platinum
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need a disk. :p I'm no expert on this, but lots of people makes Hackintoshes because they like the entire layout of OS X better, so if they can do it, I take it that anyone can.

Reactions: Fox

toby22

District 13
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need a disk. :p I'm no expert on this, but lots of people makes Hackintoshes because they like the entire layout of OS X better, so if they can do it, I take it that anyone can.
Oh. Is there a tutorial?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci