• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

No-Tolerance Rule Policy for hacking starting February 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
I am not about to read through 13 pages of comments to see if this was brought up already, but with first offense hacking perm-bans, you staff are gonna need to be very careful with your opinions on these people you recorded. I would honestly recommend running any evidence recorded through another few staff members, since you can't just look to see if they have past bans with the new 1-time-perm-ban system.

I would also recommend watching as much evidence of hacked clients as you can, so you can get a feel of how they work. The best way to distinguish a hacker is to be a hacker (not on mcsg). Maybe you can go on a private server to experiment with hacked clients to find out what is normal against hackers.

In no way am I encouraging anyone to hack on MCGamer, but these tips and bits of advice are only for educational purposes, in understanding hackers better.

Be careful when banning, because clicking fast can appear to be hacking, and sometimes giving the benefit of the doubt is the best thing to do.

Battey

Career
Reaction score
I am not about to read through 13 pages of comments to see if this was brought up already, but with first offense hacking perm-bans, you staff are gonna need to be very careful with your opinions on these people you recorded. I would honestly recommend running any evidence recorded through another few staff members, since you can't just look to see if they have past bans with the new 1-time-perm-ban system.

I would also recommend watching as much evidence of hacked clients as you can, so you can get a feel of how they work. The best way to distinguish a hacker is to be a hacker (not on mcsg). Maybe you can go on a private server to experiment with hacked clients to find out what is normal against hackers.

In no way am I encouraging anyone to hack on MCGamer, but these tips and bits of advice are only for educational purposes, in understanding hackers better.

Be careful when banning, because clicking fast can appear to be hacking, and sometimes giving the benefit of the doubt is the best thing to do.
Already said this, but couldn't have said it better. So, ^ what he said.

_Kon

Platinum
Reaction score
I'm a little confused on the "grandfathered in" thing for first time hackers, could someone please clarify? The way I read it, new hackers have a week/month ban then perm, is that correct?

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
I'm a little confused on the "grandfathered in" thing for first time hackers, could someone please clarify? The way I read it, new hackers have a week/month ban then perm, is that correct?
Basically, if you were banned for hacking before February 1st, the ban would not just become permanent. Any hacking ban after February 1st would result in a perm-ban, regardless of any ban before it.

So if you were banned November 25th 2014 for aimbot (7 day ban), after Feb 1st, nothing would happen. You would remain fine (given you didn't hack after that)
BUT if you had that ban on November 25th, and you get a new hacking ban say, March 17th of 2015, that would be a perm-ban.

_Kon

Platinum
Reaction score
Basically, if you were banned for hacking before February 1st, the ban would not just become permanent. Any hacking ban after February 1st would result in a perm-ban, regardless of any ban before it.

So if you were banned November 25th 2014 for aimbot (7 day ban), after Feb 1st, nothing would happen. You would remain fine (given you didn't hack after that)
BUT if you had that ban on November 25th, and you get a new hacking ban say, March 17th of 2015, that would be a perm-ban.
Okay, thanks for the clarification!

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought I was going to have to run some serious damage control on this thread, and I feared it was going to be a massive flame-up of, "DIS IS GUNNA BE TERRIBUL!".
I'm surprised no one has asked anything about the studies that were conducted, but I guess not many people care as much about the data as much as they do the results. I planned to give out the spreadsheet used in the study (for peer review), but then I realized I would have been leaking ban information....

Still, I would like to throw a shout-out to Vanicle , Nephilim , croe97 , HolidayResort , and ViolentKitten for their assistance with both studies. If you like the policy change, be sure to thank them for their contributions!

Now for some responses:
I severely doubt that you guys never had the data to perform a study like this.....
Ban tracking has always existed since the V1 early days, and that was further refined with the Xime panel. So if you want to be technical about it, Yes, we always had the raw data to perform a study like this.
However, having raw data is different from having the facts. A scientific study such as this requires raw data, refinement, and resources, and we have never been able to provide all three at the same time before. Ban records from the panel gave us the raw data we needed. My information tech and Statistics knowledge helped refine and analyze. And a team of staff members who were productive and not currently distracted with community matters (read: drama) offered the resources I needed to conduct the study fully. Heck, remember that we ran two studies, so that lightning obviously struck twice.

Sure, people have had the idea of doing something like this before. But ideas are worthless if they aren't turned into action, and that's what we were finally able to do.

... you staff are gonna need to be very careful with your opinions on these people you recorded. I would honestly recommend running any evidence recorded through another few staff members, since you can't just look to see if they have past bans with the new 1-time-perm-ban system.

I would also recommend watching as much evidence of hacked clients as you can, so you can get a feel of how they work. The best way to distinguish a hacker is to be a hacker (not on mcsg). Maybe you can go on a private server to experiment with hacked clients to find out what is normal against hackers.....
A previous study on Ban Disputes showed that only a small number of hacking bans are disputed, and an even smaller number of those result in an unban. I have faith that our staff has what it takes to identify hacks based on evidence or by personal witness, and that they have good enough judgement to say whether or not certain evidence is sufficient enough to warrant a ban or not. Some people don't agree with some of the bans we uphold, but then again we also don't agree with some of the accusations that players report to us.

Regardless, one thing that did not get mentioned in the announcement (since it's really a staff-only matter) is that the Sr. Staff will be making sure that our staff is up to par with identifying and properly punishing hacking offenses. I have a team working on a hacking identification quiz, and planning hacking identification training sessions, as we speak.

And remember: there's always ban disputes.
Good.
Valve games have little hackers because of this.
Disagree. I do not think that Valve games have fewer hackers than any other publisher, nor do I believe that this hypothetical lower number is the result of their punishment practices. Valve games are developed in-house with a highly-skilled team of developers who make sure to leave as few code loopholes as possible; Mojang made Minecraft in such a way that exploits and hacks are shockingly easy to make, which is why they're so common (see one of Rusty's previous comments on the matter). Valve also has a fairly effective anti-cheat system that works closely in conjunction with their game code to be highly effective against most hacking clients; our anti-cheat system has to be built around Minecrafts weak code infrastructure, so there's no way it could be as effective as VAC. Lastly, Valve controls the entire Steam system, so if you get VAC banned in one game, your entire account is affected; we would love to use that system, where if we ban you, you will be banned from using your Minecraft account in general... but we can't do that.

I think the circumstances between us and Valve are too different to draw valid comparisons.

Inzult

Spectator
Reaction score
I get banned randomly for "hacked client" when I don't. What would happen then for me?

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Do you think that Minecraft will ever allow vanilla servers to reccomend/require mods?
If so, MCSG could allow only certain types of clients to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci