• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

On the subject of "Ping Abuse"

Mybmg_102306

Diamond
Reaction score
At my mums, I get 20 ping. At my dads, I get 100-150. I can hardly tell the difference, unless I'm chasing someone, where I get better reach at my mums. People just use it as an excuse.
prob is because u never fight au player or just the au internet is different to us/eu

Sports

Platinum
Reaction score
if one person has really good ping I think that they deserve to use it the way that they want. I mean if they get like below 50 ping then they deserve to use it the way they want it. I mean it's their internet.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
"Ping Abuse"? Since when was this a thing?

It was always my understanding that better ping = better connection = greater responsiveness in-game = player advantage; that's been a thing ever since internet gaming started with Quake and Unreal Tournament, leading to a gamer-lead demand for better connections. But since did that become unfair to the point of calling it abuse?

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
"Ping Abuse"? Since when was this a thing?
Actually, its been a thing for quite a long time. People used to connect to different (or farther) servers then they normally would to get the advantage of lag on their side, but not so much server sided and they can hit hits they usually can't.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, its been a thing for quite a long time. People used to connect to different (or farther) servers then they normally would to get the advantage of lag on their side, but not so much server sided and they can hit hits they usually can't.
Two things I've learned about people, thanks to Minecraft:
1. People will find any advantage they can to win, no matter how ridiculous.
2. People will complain about everything, including the above.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
That applies to everything. Regardless of online or irl.

Miko_

Diamond
Reaction score
As much as it frustrates me, it's not abusing, it's just taking advantage of it.

Dave | Rev

Platinum
Reaction score
I guess it was a game meant for 8-12 year olds, as someone mentioned.

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
I have been called a ping abuser multiple times by someone in the mcsg community on another server. They know who they are.

Thapple_

Diamond
Reaction score
Oh really? I'll bet you have good ping yourself. It's so easy when you are on the wrecking side of things to think "they are just bad and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that sword if they tried." But if someone has a reasonable amount of experience with swordfighting, they should be able to destroy an expert with bad ping.

This happens to me all the time. I go up to some random kid with a 1/100 ratio and leather armor and prepare to strafe his socks off. While I strafe around him quickly, he just stands there and gets massive combos on me and continues to slice me up while I am sprinting and jumping away from him. There are some games where I just know I will not win because there is a player with incredible ping just sitting at corn, and whenever I go to swordfight him, he seems to have a forcefield though he is not hacking. It is the worst in water, when I get directly underneath someone and they continue to get massive combos on me despite the fact that I am directly below him, clicking 8 times per second, pointing right at him, and getting a solid 60 fps. People with good ping also seem to be able to shoot me around corners, as if all they have to do is shoot where I was a second ago and it still counts. Don't even get me started on fishing rod, as I can only use mine every one or two seconds because when I scroll away from it it takes a bit to reel in, whereas most people don't have a delay at all. (This does not happen in single player.) Good ping does not only help with each individual weapons, it seems to give you insight into the future and it allows to see subtle details and subconsciously factor them into a bow shot or flint and steel placement. There is indeed "body language" which is so important when choosing how to combat a person.

I realize that you can get to the top of the leaderboards with bad ping, such as darkrai did, but his was not even that bad, and he had solid fps. If you rely on secondary weapons, you can get by with pretty bad ping, but that does not mean it is not a major disadvantage. The playing style differences between darkrai and Huahwi are startling, as Huahwi could just bull rush any team and massacre them, whereas darkrai seems to be much more tactical and careful. You just have to adjust to your ping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci