• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Regarding the /report command

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
Hello!

As you may or may not know, with the v2 update came a host of new features! These features included things like the friend system, the new hub, a /report command, and a lot more! In this thread, however, I’m going to focus on the /report command.

There seems to be quite a lot of frustration, as well as confusion regarding this feature, specifically regarding the response time in handling reports. I’ll go over how to use this command, when to use this command instead of the report abuse section on the forums, and how these reports are handled.

So, without further ado, let’s get started!

-=-=--=-=-

HOW TO USE /REPORT
Alrighty! So, you’re in-game, and someone breaks a rule- time to use this handy command! (I’ll go over what offenses make most sense to report here, and which work better on the forums in the next section).

How do I use it?

Simply type:

/report [player name] [rule number] [description]

The “rule number” section is where you will input the number corresponding to which offense was broken. The numbers are as follows:
1. Harassment
2. Inappropriate language
3. Spam
4. Advertising
5. Revealing personal information
6. Hacking
7. Inappropriate skin
8. Other

I have bolded a few of these offenses, as they are the most ‘sensical’ to report. I’ll be going over why in the next part :)

So, let’s give this a shot!

/report duckluv321 7 Her skin is bad

Whoa- slow down there! This would be an example of an improper use of the /report command.

Using the /report command to ‘troll’ or report people you have no real evidence or suspicion of may be as easy as a few keystrokes for you, but it adds an unnecessary report to the mass already accumulated for the staff to handle, and may get in the way of serious reports.

Let’s try this again!

/report duckluv321 7 Her skin contains [something inappropriate]

Great!

It’s not required to give every single detail about the situation, but as much as you can give, and as much that makes sense greatly helps the staff team out so they know what they’re looking for.

Now that we know how to report someone, let’s take a look at what to report and where to report it!

WHEN TO USE /REPORT
This section will hopefully clear up some confusion regarding why people who you genuinely know are breaking rules have yet to be punished, and generally, why sometimes it’s better to just use the ‘Report Abuse’ section on the forums.

In the last section, I bolded three rules which I deem best to report with the /report command. With the exception of number 6, these will always be easiest to report with the /report command.

Why?

The way the /report command works, it doesn’t give a proper outlet for providing evidence. Staff members need solid evidence showing the user breaking a rule to take action against any of these offenses.

Reporting someone for spamming with /report is great because it can alert us to that member, however, we may not catch them spamming again.

The /report command functions more as a system to warn or alert the moderators of players. When you have solid evidence showing a player breaking a rule, take a screenshot, or recording, and the best thing to do from there would be reporting that on the forums where you can upload your evidence for us to view, and use.

So why would you use the /report command at all?

One of the big reasons is if you have a great suspicion someone is hacking, but you can’t record and upload the evidence, or contact a staff member on TeamSpeak, this is a fantastic way to let us know.

Same goes for inappropriate skins. Since players can frequently change skins, instead of having to take a screenshot, upload it, and file a full report, you can simply /report the user, and we can take a look to see if it’s still there. If it is, we can do the rest ourselves :)

It also works great for the last section I highlighted, which was simply ‘other’. This can be used to warn the staff if you think someone is using an alt (although evidence for this is preferred if you have obtained it), boosting- anything you’d like us to look into, but may not have gathered evidence for yourself.

If you’ve gathered evidence of someone hacking, the /report command may not be in your best interest. Instead, report abuse would be the way to go because that way, we can take action based on the footage, rather than waiting for that player to come back online after we see the report. Same goes for the other offenses, like abuse, spam, etc.

If you are not able to use the report abuse section on the forums (you don’t have an account, etc.) you could always attach evidence to the report by linking it in the description section, though we will have to take extra precautions regarding any reported videos since the ‘agreement’ regarding the removal of evidence wouldn’t have been signed.

REPORT ABUSE SECTION
(click me)

HOW REPORTS ARE HANDLED BY STAFF
I briefly went over how staff aren’t able to ban players without evidence- so don’t worry if you’re reported- unless solid evidence is found against you, no bans will be put in place simply because of the report :)

The process of going through and handling reports for staff is a bit crazy- there’s a lot of them. This is why if you have evidence, reporting users on the forums can be a bit easier for us.

If we are able to work out a system with the community where if you are able to record/screenshot and you do, you report, but if you aren’t able to, or would like to simply issue a general ‘alert’ to the staff, and you do that through /report, it could be easier for us all :)

Reports are all placed in a sort of ‘queue’ for the moderators to sort through, and this queue can get crazy long, which is why it’s hard to reply to all the reports quickly, and why it’s easier for reports you have evidence for to go to the forums :)

That’s really it! Hope this command can help you guys out, and hopefully the guide can clear up some of the confusion :)

Before I end this thread, I do want to genuinely say thank you to all of you using this new feature, or even just using the report abuse section. We wouldn’t be able to handle even half of the rule breakers we’re able to without all your help, and I think I can without a doubt say on behalf of the whole staff team that we all really appreciate it :)

KSU0002

Spectator
Reaction score
Its great that you cleared that up for all of us. I now know everything about this command and can feel confident when using it.

Nick

Community Engagement & Mapping Team Representative
Reaction score
Remember guys, if possible still try to get evidence because evidence helps the staff out a ton.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci