• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Removal Of Friend Rank

Should Friend Rank Have Been Removed? Explain!

• Yes

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 71 84.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
I think the issue people are having is with the recognition, and importance of the rank. They aren't just upset they don't have donor anymore, or that there is less of a 'reward' for moderating.

Friend rank was a rank used specifically for retired moderators, and close friends of staff. While there were many people who held this rank, every one of them held it with the sense of recognition in being a retired moderator, and being thanked for their efforts. While some people holding this rank may have only cared because it was free donor, the large majority appreciated the sense of appreciation that came with the rank.

Now that the rank is gone (or at least 'under review') some people feel as though the recognition is gone.

The same sense of appreciation does not come from a rank anyone with $100 can buy, which is why many people are against the removal of the rank.

Personally, I think that even if there was a rank with lesser power than platinum, or even diamond was used as a replacement for friend rank, many of the people who would be holding said rank would be satisfied.

It's not about the perks (or at least it shouldn't be :p) it's about the recognition, and sense of appreciation and thanks that comes from a special, unique rank given to that group of people.

It's kind of like people striving for VIP. You can get the same benefits as VIP from being a platinum donor, but it isn't the same. Why?

Anyone can get platinum, but VIP is special. Not everyone has it, and not everyone can get it. The VIP rank is used to appreciate map builders, YouTubers who support MCSG through their channels, and possibly members who have helped the community in exponential ways.

Or, another comparison- it's like having a retirement party, for example. Your company could just give you a gift card card to, uh, let's say Subway (platinum donor), and send you on your way, but if you were thrown a retirement party ('Friend' rank), you would without out a doubt feel more appreciated for your efforts. Anyone can go buy a subway gift card, but the thought that goes into throwing you that party to appreciate everything you've done is what matters, even if it means no monetary benefit.

It is honestly just the sense of recognition that comes with a unique rank that you 'earned' verus something you could simply buy for $100 in the upgrades section.

Now, I'm not complaining, because honestly, I could easily play with no donor at all, since I don't mind getting kicked, or having to find small servers- I can live without donor, but it's important for people to understand that part of the reason (I think :p) people are upset with the removal of friend rank is because of the recognition that goes with it. I think some people are perceiving the retired moderators complaining about this as just wanting free donor, or expecting a reward, but I honestly think it has a lot more to do with the fact some people have been moderators for a long time- upwards of a year, even, and have lost all recognition of doing so.

DPinky

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think there should be a rank for ex-staff members.

How they should do it; All ex staff members get member rank perks and name. however when you do /records or /stats it has something special in it saying formour staff member in a cool way.

Then if you are an ex staff member and want the donor perks you can donate like everyone else and you will still have your reconizion when you do /stats.

This is coming from an ex-staff member :p

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think there should be a rank for ex-staff members.

How they should do it; All ex staff members get member rank perks and name. however when you do /records or /stats it has something special in it saying formour staff member in a cool way.

Then if you are an ex staff member and want the donor perks you can donate like everyone else and you will still have your reconizion when you do /stats.

This is coming from an ex-staff member :p
I think some people would despise this... but I mean I was never a part of staff so I don't care :p Just wanted to say that XD

DPinky

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I think some people would despise this... but I mean I was never a part of staff so I don't care :p Just wanted to say that XD
I don't get how anyone would, but k.

It's only fair that if you want donator perks you donate. You don't go through the moderation prosssess and leave expecting to get rewarded with life time donor.

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I don't get how anyone would, but k.

It's only fair that if you want donator perks you donate. You don't go through the moderation prosssess and leave expecting to get rewarded with life time donor.
I agree

Nineharted

Career
Reaction score
To begin, friend rank was removed due to Chad's strong dislike of the rank. There are currently no plans to replace it with a new rank but to give any one who had it already platinum donor, and in some rare cases, VIP. I will conclude with my final standpoint after providing all of my evidence and staying pros and cons.
Friend rank is given to those who are close friends of an admin and very rarely a senior mod and any resigned staff member who benefited the server enough to deserve it.
Pros:
-resigned staff gain well deserved recognition for hard work
Cons:
-Just because one knows someone highly ranked, they gain a rank
-Some mods who applied and we're accepted resigned 2 months later, only for friend rank.
Rather than specifically say I hate it and am glad it was removed or love it and want it back, I will rather state a preferable scenario. One side of it provides a rank to those who deserve it and the other to those who don't. I believe the following should take place:
I propose a new rank be implemented (with a fitting name such as Resigned Moderator or something) for any resigned staff who was on the team for at least 3-4 months and was very beneficial to the servers during their time here and needed to resign, just because they deserve some sort of recognition even if they no longer continue working. This gets rid of people unfairly getting a rank by any means. So in a short answer, yes: it deserved removal but also a replacement.

MiCr2

District 13
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but users are promised no payment/reward when applying for mod. I don't deny the fact that mods deserve recognition; I just don't think this many people should be upset that the rank is being taken from them. The rank isn't a right, but a privilege. If the administration doesn't think ex-mods should have the rank anymore, there should be no problem. Also, I think Platinum donor is a more than generous reward for your time as mod.

The other side of that is it isn't the rank ex-mods want, its the special recognition. This ties into my previous statement though: you were promised nothing when applying for mod. If you wanted to continue to have the special recognition, don't resign. If you chose to resign, then not having the special recognition shouldn't be a problem. You should have been mod to help MCSG, not because you wanted to stand out. Complaining about no longer having special recognition only makes you seem selfish and reveals that your intentions were to stand out not to help MCSG.

My favorite line from The Incredibles (movie): "If everyone is super, no one is." It applies nicely, if all the mods get friend rank along with the administration's close friends, what does the "friend" in friend rank really mean? (Basically: "If everyone is a friend, no one is." Like the movie quote.)

Now I realize I could just be rambling on about nothing and making a fool of myself because I am misunderstanding this whole issue. If not, listen to my arguments, I think they might be able to help.
It is correct that people who signed up for moderator would not expect getting a reward when they retired. And I'm sure many moderators here that served 6+ or even more than 1 year did not want to have moderator in order to "stand out", but rather help the community become a better place. And when we were given the friend rank after devoting our free time to the community for such a long time, it showed that we had done a good job and that was a pat on the back so to say.

Yes, the rank got out of hand, to many people were getting it and that maybe it should have been restricted to those who really contributed to the community or served for a long time (1 year +) or very close friends of staff.

Complaining that we don't have it anymore is not selfish. We were given the rank because we deserved it. Sure, platinum rank is nice, but it won't feel special, instead it's like "go join the rest of the people with a rank that people can buy."

Friend rank was special, it meant you were a friend of the staff or a retired staff member who did his job well.

Also, not every moderator got friend rank, those who were demoted, kicked out, resigned on not so good terms would not get it. It was those who resigned on good terms and did well. And "close friends"...... well, what do you expect? If you had your own server, I'm sure you'd offer your close friend a special rank.

I served as a staff member for over a year and a half. I'm a member now. Yay?
I hear ya mate, staff here for 1 year 8 months

Last edited:

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
duckluv321 wins the thread. The entire issue with "Friend" rank is that it revolves around recognition. When I was Staff, I witnessed many people apply and quit shortly after solely to get Friend rank (and many of these people had a premium rank before they applied). All they wanted was a pink name. They could already join any server they wanted; they just wanted to be part of something that couldn't be purchased.

I like DPinky's suggestion. It's very subtle. But in that same respect, it's also very unlikely; many ex-Friends would not be supportive of the idea. It simply wouldn't compare to what they've already had.

Or you could always be like me and request not to be given Friend and stop worrying about ranks at all. ;]

AMidgit4Lyfe

Tribute
Reaction score
MCSG, you tell me. so you think duckluv321, HyP3rKi113r, Linkdude1997, JustAHotDog, and pepsizpower are worth $100 to you (equivalent to platinum donor). After they spent countless hours on your server not playing survival games but helping players with information. The mods above and many more deserve friend rank. I have not donated 1 single dollar to this server, and I care about what these people deserve more than you do. Duck has helped this community so much you should be speechless at the fact, all the mods listed above worked countless hours on our servers. you can say they weren't the most talkative in char in chat but they didn't need to be because they cared in their heads. All the other mods did as well. isn't that why they got the job. because they cared about a PERSON THAT DOESNT EVEN DONATE TO THE SERVER. But u don't even care about a moderator that respected a regular member (A GREEN NAME). I am speechless at this fact. and if a friend reads this I hope u become a VIP, because that is what you deserve. And that's what you should get. These people that don't have Friend rank should be furiated. But they aren't and it's there rank. not mine. I've been a green name for 2 years. I miss a pink name joining a server. I think MCSG does to. Honestly this doesn't portray you getting smarter in any way. These people above and COUNTLESS OTHERS dedicated there time and maybe even money into you. the least you could do is give them a pink name. Oh yeah and also why don't you set a limit on how many months people should moderate before they get friend rank. Btw (since u added platinum you should be able to do that as well) Friend rank was a special way of saying thank you spending time moderating our server. you took away friend rank but u gave levi_the_potato VIP for knowing senior staff. Why is that even a thing. VIP is a rank you work for, like building maps and doing YouTube. Friend rank is like spending quality time on the MCGamer servers and you were a special moderator. It's a recognition of U worked hard. nobody else but you. It's amazing how you treat people with 20k to 100k with VIP, they upload MCSG content, so what. Friends have lived on these servers. For God sakes I see moderators in the hub at 4 in the morning. And once they resign it's just "oh ya ur a regular". Then ur completely done with them and then you love on to the other set of people that u will do the same thing to.
I heard from someone u were trying to be like HIVE, that retired moderators dont have friend ranks in hive. Why would u want to be like all the rest when you could be totally different. Stop following the norm MCSG and be yourself. DreamNoodle not getting friend rank made my jaw drop when I read that thread. Sure I cannot discuss this here. But someone will read this and agree with it. Treat ur ex-mods with respect like they did for you.

Last edited:

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
MCSG, you tell me. so you think duckluv321, HyP3rKi113r, Linkdude1997, JustAHotDog, and pepsizpower are worth $100 to you (equivalent to platinum donor). After they spent countless hours on your server not playing survival games but helping players with information. The mods above and many more deserve friend rank. I have not donated 1 single dollar to this server, and I care about what these people deserve more than you do. Duck has helped this community so much you should be speechless at the fact, all the mods listed above worked countless hours on our servers. you can say they weren't the most talkative in char in chat but they didn't need to be because they cared in their heads. All the other mods did as well. isn't that why they got the job. because they cared about a PERSON THAT DOESNT EVEN DONATE TO THE SERVER. But u don't even care about a moderator that respected a regular member (A GREEN NAME). I am speechless at this fact. and if a friend reads this I hope u become a VIP, because that is what you deserve. And that's what you should get. These people that don't have Friend rank should be furiated. But they aren't and it's there rank. not mine. I've been a green name for 2 years. I miss a pink name joining a server. I think MCSG does to. Honestly this doesn't portray you getting smarter in any way. These people above and COUNTLESS OTHERS dedicated there time and maybe even money into you. the least you could do is give them a pink name. Oh yeah and also why don't you set a limit on how many months people should moderate before they get friend rank. Btw (since u added platinum you should be able to do that as well) Friend rank was a special way of saying thank you spending time moderating our server. you took away friend rank but u gave levi_the_potato VIP for knowing senior staff. Why is that even a thing. VIP is a rank you work for, like building maps and doing YouTube. Friend rank is like spending quality time on the MCGamer servers and you were a special moderator. It's a recognition of U worked hard. nobody else but you. It's amazing how you treat people with 20k to 100k with VIP, they upload MCSG content, so what. Friends have lived on these servers. For God sakes I see moderators in the hub at 4 in the morning. And once they resign it's just "oh ya ur a regular". Then ur completely done with them and then you love on to the other set of people that u will do the same thing to.
I heard from someone u were trying to be like HIVE, that retired moderators dont have friend ranks in hive. Why would u want to be like all the rest when you could be totally different. Stop following the norm MCSG and be yourself. DreamNoodle not getting friend rank made my jaw drop when I read that thread. Sure I cannot discuss this here. But someone will read this and agree with it. Treat ur ex-mods with respect like they did for you.
They never said they weren't ever going to do anything for them, they're simply reevaluating what to do with the rank. It's an awkward transition and could have been done better, but it's done now. We'll just have to be patient, it's a pretty contested debate from what I've heard.

And that whole Hive thing at the end is kinda arbitrary and false...

Bulletshield3

Experienced
Reaction score
I am writing this off my iPod so please do not judge my spelling as it is almost 1 am on a school night.
Anyway, I saw friend rank as a rank where people respected me and knew me and it allowed me to help as much as possible even though I had resigned. I understand why they removed it but without it I don't feel the same way as I did before. Before I felt like I was someone people could look up to and ask questions. Even if I wasn't so nice all the time, I was still helpful the majority. A little warning would have been nice instead of us needing to jump to conclusion about many of the things. We don't know what is actually finalised because there isn't a post but I hope to see one soon.
Friend rank also was a sign that we did something for the community.
I was part of MCTF2 since February 2013 and then came over during the creation of MCGamer. I then resigned sometime in Christmas.
Friend rank wasn't just something that should have been given to all retired staff I will say this. Those of you that did quit staff just for friend then shame on you. I resigned because of exams and I wasn't going to be active enough..
Anywhale that's my oppinion and my views , night guys.

Reaction score
I agree with DPinky , I mean if I had donated that much time to moderating the MCGamer forums and servers I would like some recognition. With Platinum you just blend in with the crowd and nobody can really see or even know that you have done your little bit to help the servers.
I think that unique rank just for retired moderators should be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci