• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Report Abuse Response Changes (And Future Rewards?)

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

The staff do a lot of hard work around here, but we can't forget that the players put in an exemplary effort as well. In particular, players who take the time to fill out Report Abuses to help the staff catch rule breakers. We've been toying with the idea of rewarding those users for quite some time, but complications always arose: what would we offer, what if people got overly-competitive, would it do more harm or good?

One necessary complication was differentiating between Accepted reports (Reports that resulted in a punishment) and Denied reports (Reports that did not result in a punishment). In order to prevent offending players whose reports were Denied, the staff used the blanket of Closed reports, which stated that the user has been dealt with appropriately; this gave the impression of action being taken without directly stating that the user's report was not accepted.

Well, the staff has recently decided to replace ambiguity with honesty. We're all big boys and girls, we should be able to take the truth about our Reports.

If you post a Report Abuse and you notice that the responses are a little different, you know why. Don't go nuts celebrating if you Report gets Accepted, just as you shouldn't get depressed is your Report is Closed. The staff is being honest with you on their appraisal of this situation, and we trust that you understand and respect that.

Truthfully, I'm more excited about what this is building up to: Rewards for Report Abuses.
We'll let the Report Abuse Response Changes simmer on a 2 week trial to see if they're effective and to ensure that the staff is responding correctly. After that, we can start the lottery for Report Abuse Rewards.

Stay Tuned!

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I've been wondering if this would ever be a thing, and I think I can safely say that I look forwards to it.

But remember: Just because you got someone banned or otherwise punished, does not mean that you can go and brag about it, and you can't taunt them about it. If that happens, then this may end at the 2-week trial period.

c:

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
I remember making a thread about this ages ago, everyone said I was stupid for thinking of it.
Well, how times changes.

http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/a-reward-for-reporting.104291/
May 11th 2014, almost a year ago.
Quite a few people disagreed with me, I wonder if they'll do the same to an admin. Shame how as a member, most of what you say is disregarded, you have to be in a influential position to help make big changes to the community.

Col_StaR you might want to have a look at that thread actually, it gives you a bit of an insight to some of the opinions that those players had, although I still believe myself being a member at that point and my poor wording of that thread did hinder and change the responses.

Last edited:

Etos

Experienced
Reaction score
Most of the time when I see a rule breaker I would just use /report, I guess I'll start posting them in abuse reports.

Jusser

Career
Reaction score
Nice idea! Depending on the rewards given, friendships are going to be broken ;)

hdwisiaaof

Diamond
Reaction score
YES FINALLY THANK YOU BASED COL

it makes literally zero sense not to incentivise players to make reports, and ban transparency is way better than thinking you've got a hacker banned then facing him the next day ^_^

Vanicle | Vanessa

District 13
Reaction score
I remember making a thread about this ages ago, everyone said I was stupid for thinking of it.
Well, how times changes.

http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/a-reward-for-reporting.104291/
May 11th 2014, almost a year ago.
Quite a few people disagreed with me, I wonder if they'll do the same to an admin. Shame how as a member, most of what you say is disregarded, you have to be in a influential position to help make big changes to the community.

Col_StaR you might want to have a look at that thread actually, it gives you a bit of an insight to some of the opinions that those players had, although I still believe myself being a member at that point and my poor wording of that thread did hinder and change the responses.
I know it may seem frustrating sometimes when you suggest an idea that isn't taken into effect for quite a bit of time. This change was discussed for quite a bit of time because I'm sure you know, it's always been such a policy of ours that punishment history should remain private.

However, I wanted to point out that nowhere in this thread does it say that we were the owners of this idea. Most of the time, it actually is members that suggest changes in our policy and our network and for that we are forever grateful. Thanks for taking your time to make the thread that contributes to changes like these.

Last edited:

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
I know it may seem frustrating sometimes when you suggest an idea that isn't taken into effect for quite a bit of time. This change was discussed for quite a bit of time because I'm sure you know, it's always been such a policy of ours that punishment history should remain private.

However, I wanted to point out that nowhere in this thread does it say that we were the owners of this idea. Most of the time, it actually is members that suggest changes in our policy and our network and for that we are forever grateful. Thanks for taking your time to make the thread that contributes to changes like these.
I'm not frustrated I just find it ironic. We all know that this idea was not generated from my thread a year ago.
But thank you, for the kind words.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
One thing about Report Abuses is that when I used to spam them they would always say "Thank you for reporting the user. They have been dealt with" or something around those lines. However, one time after I did it I saw that a few of the people were not banned at all, and I talked to the mod (not naming any names, additionally he was a good friend of mine) who responded to the report abuse and he said "Lol no I never did anything about it. It was so minor so I didn't do anything." Ever since then I felt really touchy about posting report abuses or not because even though they may say the user has been dealt with, the possibility that nothing happened to them is still out there. If this has changed since the past I would love to be informed about this.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'm not frustrated I just find it ironic. We all know that this idea was not generated from my thread a year ago.
But thank you, for the kind words.
This is exactly how I feel with practically every MCSG change: a couple of members (sometimes me included) make a thread with ideas, it gets little support by staff, and then the actual change comes 2 months later, with the SAME MODS saying the implementation was a good idea!

I'm glad the ideas are getting implemented, but why does the staff wait so long to simply ask its members for opinions? At this rate, solo servers will come by June...

Reaction score
I kind of like this idea, but it seems like we're bribing the members. I mean, as members of the community, it should be our duty to do it, without questions asked and no rewards. I mean, a reward would be a great idea, but it just doesn't seem right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci