• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Screensharing Proposal

hax

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
In my opinion, I think it would be much more effective to get rid of hackers by forcing them to screenshare (via join.me) if they do look suspicious. This method is already used by Kohi. If someone disconnects during screenshare, they could have a strike which could put them on a list of a very high priority of being screenshared in the future (just incase they genuinely have to go during screenshare). If they disconnect for the second time while being asked to screenshare, permanent ban. Moderators need to be trained to know how to look for ghost clients and hidden files. This video will help people in knowing how to look for pretty much all hacked clients:

Regards, hax

ImTheNarwhal

District 13
Reaction score
I personally don't mind the idea - the only thing I would say is that forcing users to download software onto their computer is something I'm not fond of. I understand it's a a trustworthy program but some people either can't or are suspicious about it.

The only way I could possibly see this being brought to MCG is if it could all be done through a Minecraft client which is unlikely.

There's also always going to be people who will claim they "accidentally" disconnected and we would have to deal with those guys. What if it was a legitimate mistake? Do we permanently ban them because we assume that if they disconnected they were hacking?

hax

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I personally don't mind the idea - the only thing I would say is that forcing users to download software onto their computer is something I'm not fond of. I understand it's a a trustworthy program but some people either can't or are suspicious about it.

The only way I could possibly see this being brought to MCG is if it could all be done through a Minecraft client which is unlikely.

There's also always going to be people who will claim they "accidentally" disconnected and we would have to deal with those guys. What if it was a legitimate mistake? Do we permanently ban them because we assume that if they disconnected they were hacking?
That's why they have a second chance if they do disconnect. If they disconnect for a second time, give them a week ban. After that week ban, if they disconnect after being asked to screenshare then they pretty much deserve a permanent ban.

And as for the software itself, I think it is going to be necessary to use 3rd party applications in order to run the server efficiently eventually, because you are not able to
1. Make a decent anticheat (I understand there is one in development however)
2. Distinguish between good ping and triggerbot (It just isn't sufficient evidence)
3. Have any knowledge of what minecraft client each player is using (Mojang developed this game oddly)
I believe that forcing a player to download a third party application in order to get rid of cheaters is pretty much our only viable hope. Many servers have done this such as Kohi and some other smaller servers.

ImTheNarwhal

District 13
Reaction score
That's why they have a second chance if they do disconnect. If they disconnect for a second time, give them a week ban. After that week ban, if they disconnect after being asked to screenshare then they pretty much deserve a permanent ban.

And as for the software itself, I think it is going to be necessary to use 3rd party applications in order to run the server efficiently eventually, because you are not able to
1. Make a decent anticheat (I understand there is one in development however)
2. Distinguish between good ping and triggerbot (It just isn't sufficient evidence)
3. Have any knowledge of what minecraft client each player is using (Mojang developed this game oddly)
I believe that forcing a player to download a third party application in order to get rid of cheaters is pretty much our only viable hope. Many servers have done this such as Kohi and some other smaller servers.
Our anti-cheat is being updated. I know sometimes the community feels as though it's in the dark about it but it will come.

Regarding the identification of closet cheaters - my trial group is working on it.

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
Hackers have been a profound and prevalent issue on most every Minecraft network since it began. Many servers have thought up conclusions and then tested them. The solutions vary. From having moderators that go through servers finding hackers, to even some more advanced methods like a developed anti-cheat. A recent potential solution to the problem: forcing potential hackers to screenshare through TeamSpeak. I do not feel as if screensharing is a viable solution, though.

For one, screensharing requires that the user have programs or software like TeamSpeak and some screenshoting software (or join.me as in the video). If a person does not have the software required, he would have to take more and more time of his gameplay. Additionally, if he or she was about to leave for something and was just playing one match before leaving, he or she would have to choose to either be banned or being late to whatever he or she had to get to. Not to mention the fact that some people have particularly slow download/upload speeds and could take 30+ minutes to finish the process.

Another reason why screensharing is not a good solution is the staff side of things. With less than 200 staff members and over 3,000 players online at certain times, getting every potential hacker online to screenshare would be so tedious it could be considered impossible. For even the 20 potential hackers they could get onto TeamSpeak, there would be 40-50 more that aren't being caught. The issue of hacking is everlasting; forcing moderators to screenshare with community members would be slower than recording them.

Finally, screensharing could be seen as invasive. Forcing people to get on TeamSpeak, join a screensharing website, and then share their screen could very well be argued as an invasion of privacy, especially if the person isn't even hacking. I know that if I was not hacking and was asked to on for 20 minutes to prove I wasn't doing it, I'd be pretty upset. Not to mention the fact that for some, it could take upwards of 30 minutes.

Overall, hacking is just an issue that will almost always be here. The most successful solution seen around the game is anti-cheat. If MCGamer can improve their anti-cheat to at least 80% effective, that would be extremely efficient in the prevention of hacking on the network. Screensharing is not a solution that will be even close to the efficiency of anti-cheats.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci