• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Staff being too serious about bans

Do you think people should be perm banned for joking when its obvious that it was a joke

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
DDoS is against federal law in the United States, according to the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Since it is a federal crime, if you are over the age of 18, you will be held in federal court. Offenders under the age of 18 will be held in a juvenile court setting.
I just did a test: I walked up to someone and said "I'm going to hit you off."

The police weren't called, I'm not in jail, and I'm not going to court. In fact, he just gave me a puzzled look and laughed. I suppose I'm just really lucky right?

Jimmer

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I just did a test: I walked up to someone and said "I'm going to hit you off."

The police weren't called, I'm not in jail, and I'm not going to court. In fact, he just gave me a puzzled look and laughed. I suppose I'm just really lucky right?
Now try saying that in the hub directly to a moderator and see what happens.

Jusser

Career
Reaction score
Now try saying that in the hub directly to a moderator and see what happens.
Or walk straight to a cop and say that, if you did that then perhaps this would be a more fair analogy

Jimmer

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Or walk straight to a cop and say that, if you did that then perhaps this would be a more fair analogy
Yes, that would be even better. At the very least, you'd likely get a telling off and a warning not to do it again to a police officer. At worst, you'd have what Gecko said happen to you.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
Yes, that would be even better. At the very least, you'd likely get a telling off and a warning not to do it again to a police officer. At worst, you'd have what Gecko said happen to you.
The chat is a public place, so saying it directly to a cop would be an inaccurate analogy.

If you can find one documented instance in which someone was arrested and trialed for ddos threats, I'd be more apt to believe you.

Jimmer

Peacekeeper
Reaction score

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
The chat is a public place, so saying it directly to a cop would be an inaccurate analogy.

If you can find one documented instance in which someone was arrested and trialed for ddos threats, I'd be more apt to believe you.
http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/two-men-arrested-in-london-over-ddos-extortion/
https://www.rt.com/news/uk-boy-arrested-ddos-attack-411/
https://www.hackread.com/kid-arrested-launched-ddos-attacks-false-bomb-alerts/

If necessary, here's a screenshot of more results I found if you'd like to take a look:

Anyone is at risk of being arrested for threatening to DDoS, or just actually doing it at all. This is why we take it so seriously. And yes, I'm really sorry if we do sound or act paranoid as staff members upon these kinds of issues. Because we, as a community, just want to make sure everyone has a fun time here. And having been a staff member in a community with slightly more loose rules, I was able to tolerate this kind of stuff. But it still didn't feel comfortable.

Whether it's a joke or not, it's like being one of those pranksters online who go out of their way to cause trouble "It's just a prank, bro!" they say. In reality, it only causes an inconvenience for everyone. And it's just plain ridiculous. It's so easy to keep these supposed "jokes" to themselves, even if you want to make someone laugh, do it when you're with someone you strongly trust! I'm pretty sure everyone is well aware of the issues that may happen if we just spew jokes like that in public, it'd be waaaay too inconvenient. This should be out of common, social decency, at least not do it for respect of other players. :c

_SoupSalad

Platinum
Reaction score
Both admitting to hacks and threating to Ddoss someone is stated against the mcgamer rules in the rules and we expect players to follow those rules. Plus things like Ddossing people aren't even things to joke about. Ddossing someone is actually illegal in which case saying "I'm going to Ddoss you" Is considered a real and serious threat. Not to mention that the first time someone does admit to hacks they do get a temp ban that warns them not to do it again. Ddossing is taken more seriously because its a legitimate threat and against the law.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/two-men-arrested-in-london-over-ddos-extortion/
https://www.rt.com/news/uk-boy-arrested-ddos-attack-411/
https://www.hackread.com/kid-arrested-launched-ddos-attacks-false-bomb-alerts/

If necessary, here's a screenshot of more results I found if you'd like to take a look:

Anyone is at risk of being arrested for threatening to DDoS, or just actually doing it at all. This is why we take it so seriously. And yes, I'm really sorry if we do sound or act paranoid as staff members upon these kinds of issues. Because we, as a community, just want to make sure everyone has a fun time here. And having been a staff member in a community with slightly more loose rules, I was able to tolerate this kind of stuff. But it still didn't feel comfortable.

Whether it's a joke or not, it's like being one of those pranksters online who go out of their way to cause trouble "It's just a prank, bro!" they say. In reality, it only causes an inconvenience for everyone. And it's just plain ridiculous. It's so easy to keep these supposed "jokes" to themselves, even if you want to make someone laugh, do it when you're with someone you strongly trust! I'm pretty sure everyone is well aware of the issues that may happen if we just spew jokes like that in public, it'd be waaaay too inconvenient. This should be out of common, social decency, at least not do it for respect of other players. :c
All of those are for actually ddosing, or for other crimes; I specfically asked for someone getting arrested for ddos threats.

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
All of those are for actually ddosing, or for other crimes; I specfically asked for someone getting arrested for ddos threats.
But but but, I thought some of those these links were DDoS threat related, too! D:

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
But but but, I thought some of those these links were DDoS threat related, too! D:
They were not.

Crimes within the three articles linked (in order):
-ddos attacks, extortion
-ddos attack
-ddos attacks, bomb threats

Did you even read the articles?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member