• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Anti-Cheat to End All Anti-Cheats.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'll just copy-paste part of the reddit post

As many of you guys know, we announced CheatBreaker, which was a super-secret MineHQ Project that we created over the last month. It is designed to stop the ongoing cheating issue that will only get worse if we don't do something to stop it. I mean, look, there's dozens, if not hundreds, of ghost clients.

Server-side anticheat can only act on a limited set of data that it receives: swing packets, attack packets, and movement packets. These packets don't contain headers to determine if a hacked client sent it, it simply contains data that a legitimate player would send and the server must try to guess (using heuristics), whether the data is legitimate or fake. This can and does produce, both, false-positives and false-negatives. That's just the nature of server-side anticheat.

CheatBreaker, as a client-side application, gives us a whole new dataset to work with to ensure that players aren't cheating. This gives us access to critical game JAR files and JRE components to ensure their integrity. I simply can't go into specifics for the security of the system, but in creating this system, we've launched several attacks on it to see if we (as the creators of it) can bypass it. As of now, we can't.

First and foremost, we do intend to allow other servers to adopt CheatBreaker. That means if you get banned on a CheatBreaker protected server, you're banned from EVERY protected server.

If you're caught cheating, you will be marked for a future ban, similar to systems like VAC and ESEA, among others. When the banwave is issued, you will be PERMANENTLY banned from all CheatBreaker-protected servers.

This ban is an IP Ban, HWID Ban, and Minecraft UUID ban.

CheatBreaker bans cannot be removed by MineHQ Staff, and CheatBreaker bans are entirely separate of MineHQ. This means that you CANNOT purchase an unban for CheatBreaker bans.

CheatBreaker operates on a zero-tolerance policy for all cheating violations.

We hope to open CheatBreaker (Windows) for public testing by late this month. We're currently auditing CheatBreaker with a select group of testers.

There is also a social engineering side to cheating, which is to attack people's trust in the system. If "[CheatBreaker] is evil - look they are tracking all of the websites you visit" is an idea that gets traction, then that is to the benefit of cheaters and cheat creators. [CheatBreaker] is inherently a scary looking piece of software, because it is trying to be obscure, it is going after code that is trying to attack it, and it is sneaky. For most cheat developers, social engineering might be a cheaper way to attack the system than continuing the code arms race, which means that there will be more Reddit posts trying to cast [CheatBreaker] in a sinister light.

http://www.cheatbreaker.com/faq/

Should MCSG try to get this?

Res

Diamond
Reaction score
does it detect optifine?!?!?!? cuz if so im guna get baned by dis mlg teknologi u call anti cheat
First of all, would MCGamer have to do maintenance to add this new NCP? And who knows the bugs that could come out of this? And how long would the maintenance take, if there was one?

Last edited:

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. Does it force people to download it or? The problems I see are:
  • A hacker won't download this.
  • I have hacks that I use to test on single player. It helps us learn hacks. Will this detect this?
  • Is it server-side and client-side or just client-side?
I'm not really sure, but it may be worth it eventually and after changes are made to it.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. Does it force people to download it or? The problems I see are:
  • I have hacks that I use to test on single player. It helps us learn hacks. Will this detect this?
I'm not really sure, but it may be worth it eventually and after changes are made to it.
\
-You basically have to have to mod installed with forge in order to join the server, the mod then scans through your entire computer for cheats. It's an interesting prospect as it could reduce the player base, but will completely eliminate cheaters.
-It requires players to join with a specific set of mods that a server requires
-No it won't
-It is both client and server side, it's a server plugin and a forge mod

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
It's client side, meaning that it will be like a mod-pack and required for the servers. Yes, it will detect your hacks you use for testing on private servers, mine too. However there may be ways to only make decisions based on what client is being used at the time to play on the network. A hacker will download this if they want to play MCGamer, seeing as they won't be able to connect without it. If the only reason they came to MCSG was to hack, we don't want the, anyway ;)

This may cause trouble for people like us who need them to test occasionally and update our understanding on what we face however other than that it is really accurate. The problem with this is the fact that it carries bans over from all servers, meaning it could cause complications with other networks not affiliated with ours :p

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Well for one, it doesn't work on 1.8.

Next, some of the mods approved by the application are disallowed here. Not sure if you can change that.

Additionally, it's a client side application. Every player would need to download it. I can definitely see that being a turn-off for players for several reasons.

So there definitely seem to be some problems with using it here. I'm not really sure if it would be worth it.

Res

Diamond
Reaction score
\
-You basically have to have to mod installed with forge in order to join the server, the mod then scans through your entire computer for cheats. It's an interesting prospect as it could reduce the player base, but will completely eliminate cheaters.
-It requires players to join with a specific set of mods that a server requires
-No it won't
-It is both client and server side, it's a server plugin and a forge mod
So my 1.7.2 huzini client installed for fun will still get me banned perm? that's dumb.....

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Well for one, it doesn't work on 1.8.

Next, some of the mods approved by the application are disallowed here. Not sure if you can change that.

Additionally, it's a client side application. Every player would need to download it. I can definitely see that being a turn-off for players for several reasons.
It will have a 1.8 version
You can change which mods are allowed

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
It's client side, meaning that it will be like a mod-pack and required for the servers. Yes, it will detect your hacks you use for testing on private servers, mine too. However there may be ways to only make decisions based on what client is being used at the time to play on the network. A hacker will download this if they want to play MCGamer, seeing as they won't be able to connect without it. If the only reason they came to MCSG was to hack, we don't want the, anyway ;)

This may cause trouble for people like us who need them to test occasionally and update our understanding on what we face however other than that it is really accurate. The problem with this is the fact that it carries bans over from all servers, meaning it could cause complications with other networks not affiliated with ours :p
I understand more now. Thanks.

Overall, not a bad idea; however, it needs some work first.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
IP bans are the biggest problem with me. Almost any staff will tell you that it's a bad idea for a network our size, and I don't blame them.

Other than that, I find the concept of using a special client to connect to a server incredibly inconvenient. Imagine it from a noob's perspective:

1) "Hey, this server looks pretty cool!"
2) *not allowed to connect* "Really?"
3) "Forget it, I'm not downloading some dumb mod to join one or two servers."
4) Our playerbase starts decreasing more and more.

Mojang just needs to code in a system to detect any changes to different files. This would stop gamma, >110 fov, and it would know when mods are active. Every mod would need a codename to work, which would be registered on minecraft.net and set into the .minecraft. Then when you log into a server, a whitelist would make sure you were using one of the allowed codenames.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci