• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Butterfly Effect.

ViolentKitten

Platinum
Reaction score
If you ever find me on the Teamspeak and join my channel, you'll find more than often that I'm quite a shy person - I reserve my conversation in fear that something that I say will leave others with a negative opinion on me. I fear that the slightest comment I make or attempt to contribute to the conversation will create awkwardness or uncomfort. This is because, before I act, I often consider a theory known as The Butterfly Effect. The name describes the possibility that our smallest of actions can contribute to, or cause, significant change in relationships, society and the world. The actual name of The Butterfly Effect describes the notion in chaos theory that a butterfly fluttering in Rio de Janeiro could change the weather in Chicago.

Today, I'm not here to discuss the science behind all this, or the theories and theorists. I'm here to discuss how our actions can change our lives, and the lives of those around us and even on the MCGamer Servers. Consider a MCSG game you played recently. The entire game, from the lobby you chose to join, to the player you chose to chase, to any decision you make, will change the flow of the game and perhaps even impact your life. I've taken the liberty of constructing a basic flowchart representing this concept:

The flowchart represents the fact that our slight actions result in the outcome of the game, or certain situations. Of course this is important whilst playing, but socially, this theory is extremely important to consider too. For this example, I will be discussing the effect of terms such as 'eZ' and 'Rekt'. Please note that this thread is not for debating on disallowing these words. It is just an example of how our words can greatly affect others.

Imagine a scenario in which you are playing SG. You make it to death match and are confronted with a team. The fight is rather intense, however you are killed after a great show of force. To this you are already agitated due to a team, but the teamers then follow through to say 'eZ L2P'. This makes you quite frustrated, and you slam your computer shut. Your anger remains with you that day, and you begin to take it out on your family or friends, perhaps creating unrest, hatred or the loss of friendship.

Although that example is rather exaggerated and does not necessarily reflect the principles of the Butterfly Effect, it shows how our actions can consequently affect another player's experience on the servers.

So, before I quit rambling, I'm going to leave you with this. Nearly every day on the forums, several threads are made on 'The community is terrible'. or 'Everyone is abusive' etc. More often than not, when a player or friend uses these terms after a fight, I will occasionally ask, 'Why did you use those terms? It makes players upset', to which they respond, 'Well, everyone says that stuff anyway, who cares?' If you are a player who has used these terms, or have done anything that may result in another person experiencing negative consequences from such an action, just consider that the simple things can often have the greatest impact.

Merry Festive Season all c:

Dzbs

Iron
Reaction score
If you ever find me on the Teamspeak and join my channel, you'll find more than often that I'm quite a shy person - I reserve my conversation in fear that something that I say will leave others with a negative opinion on me. I fear that the slightest comment I make or attempt to contribute to the conversation will create awkwardness or uncomfort. This is because, before I act, I often consider a theory known as The Butterfly Effect. The name describes the possibility that our smallest of actions can contribute to, or cause, significant change in relationships, society and the world. The actual name of The Butterfly Effect describes the notion in chaos theory that a butterfly fluttering in Rio de Janeiro could change the weather in Chicago.

Today, I'm not here to discuss the science behind all this, or the theories and theorists. I'm here to discuss how our actions can change our lives, and the lives of those around us and even on the MCGamer Servers. Consider a MCSG game you played recently. The entire game, from the lobby you chose to join, to the player you chose to chase, to any decision you make, will change the flow of the game and perhaps even impact your life. I've taken the liberty of constructing a basic flowchart representing this concept:

The flowchart represents the fact that our slight actions result in the outcome of the game, or certain situations. Of course this is important whilst playing, but socially, this theory is extremely important to consider too. For this example, I will be discussing the effect of terms such as 'eZ' and 'Rekt'. Please note that this thread is not for debating on disallowing these words. It is just an example of how our words can greatly affect others.

Imagine a scenario in which you are playing SG. You make it to death match and are confronted with a team. The fight is rather intense, however you are killed after a great show of force. To this you are already agitated due to a team, but the teamers then follow through to say 'eZ L2P'. This makes you quite frustrated, and you slam your computer shut. Your anger remains with you that day, and you begin to take it out on your family or friends, perhaps creating unrest, hatred or the loss of friendship.

Although that example is rather exaggerated and does not necessarily reflect the principles of the Butterfly Effect, it shows how our actions can consequently affect another player's experience on the servers.

So, before I quit rambling, I'm going to leave you with this. Nearly every day on the forums, several threads are made on 'The community is terrible'. or 'Everyone is abusive' etc. More often than not, when a player or friend uses these terms after a fight, I will occasionally ask, 'Why did you use those terms? It makes players upset', to which they respond, 'Well, everyone says that stuff anyway, who cares?' If you are a player who has used these terms, or have done anything that may result in another person experiencing negative consequences from such an action, just consider that the simple things can often have the greatest impact.

Merry Festive Season all c:
Dannng, Violent, I can imagine you as the official MCGamer Professor.

ViolentKitten

Platinum
Reaction score
That could be added to my long TS name :p

I really love making threads like this c: I'll be writing similar soon so that the forums can be exciting again!

DPinky

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
That's why I'm always 3 decisions a head of my opponents, and friends. Muahahahahahahahaha (evil grin)

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
i don't really believe in this because i believe our fate is pretty much mapped out and even if we think that by doing something we weren't planning on doing that we're beating the system, we're actually not, because those decisions are mapped out as well. free will isn't real.

ViolentKitten

Platinum
Reaction score
i don't really believe in this because i believe our fate is pretty much mapped out and even if we think that by doing something we weren't planning on doing that we're beating the system, we're actually not, because those decisions are mapped out as well. free will isn't real.
So you believe that we live rather 'Sims-esque' lives? (Referring to the game, in which every action that the character acts out is decided by a controller).

I tend to disagree, because so many decisions and things go on in each and every one of our own lives that often seem, or are, pointless. I'm making the decision to type this now, and I could choose to not send it. However, obviously, because it is here, I chose to post it. I don't think that the decision I made to respond to you was made by someone or something else, but there is a lot that we don't know too.

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
Wow. That was great reading. :D
Yes, you don't need to apologize for the ranting, it is true, 1 tiny thing can make the most difference ever. Mistakes. Decisions. Things you say, do, create. It affects everyone, no matter how small or large.
So think about your decisions before you make them. Because they are important.
The Stanley Parable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci