• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Death of Minecraft Servers?

Mojang - Crazy or Smart?

• Crazy

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • Smart

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

Mlpoknzaba

Diamond
Reaction score
Keep in mind: it may be against the rules for servers to sell ranks for money.

However, MCGamer does not sell ranks! MCGamer gives perks for your donations. Technically on MCGamer ranks aren't sold - they are donated for! ^_^
From Mojang's End User (That's you and me) Licence Agreement:

"Any tools you write for the Game from scratch belong to you. . Modifications to the Game ("Mods") (including pre-run Mods and in-memory Mods) and plugins for the Game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don‘t sell them for money / try to make money from them."

Basically, all MC servers that try to make money from Minecraft by selling ranks, do not comply with this term, so Mojang can legally take action.

https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
From Mojang's End User (That's you and me) Licence Agreement:

"Any tools you write for the Game from scratch belong to you. . Modifications to the Game ("Mods") (including pre-run Mods and in-memory Mods) and plugins for the Game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don‘t sell them for money / try to make money from them."

Basically, all MC servers that try to make money from Minecraft by selling ranks, do not comply with this term, so Mojang can legally take action.

https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula
And which, selling is basically the exchange of anything with monetary value.

Mlpoknzaba

Diamond
Reaction score
Mojang is trying to outlaw servers gaining profit so the owners can't keep the servers running? That's what I'm hearing. That sounds stupid. What would happen to the popular servers if this happened?
Mojang haven't suddenly decided to ban servers making profits. Servers making cash has always, and will always be illegal. Its right there in Mojangs EULA.
They just decided to act on it now.

Duncanbh3

Experienced
Reaction score
Guys guys guys, that video is like when a famous person does a small thing and it turns into a big thing, the Minecraft Terms of Use state that you may not make commercial use of anything they've made, which made the minecraft operator confused or awnsering to his knowledge of the situation.
ONE MAJOR RULE
The one major rule is that you must not distribute anything we‘ve made. By “distribute anything we‘ve made” what we mean is “give copies of the game away, make commercial use of, try to make money from, or let other people get access to our game and its parts in a way that is unfair or unreasonable”. So the one major rule is that (unless we specifically agree it – such as in brand and asset usage guidelines) you must not:
  • give copies of our Game to anyone else
  • make commercial use of anything we‘ve made;
  • try to make money from anything we‘ve made; or
  • let other people get access to anything we‘ve made in a way that is unfair or unreasonable.
…and so that we are crystal clear, what we have made includes, but is not limited to, the client or the server software for our Game. It also includes modified versions of a Game, part of it or anything else we‘ve made.

Otherwise we are quite relaxed about what you do - in fact we really encourage you to do cool stuff - but just don‘t do those things that we say you can‘t.

Thats what it says about it, technically many servers do sell stuff in game to people, but if you think on our side, MCSG and MCG does not sell stuff that mojang, Minecraft creators made, we are selling features created within our minigame. So dont freak out cause MCG and MCSG wont fall unless Mojang bans servers outside of Minecraft Realms. We are safe.

SniperSnakez

District 13
Reaction score
Mojang won't do anything, I can assure you. Mojang has know of this for sevral years, and why do something now when the game is growing incredibly? I doubt they would do anything big like "taking down servers", they might be more strict but they won't ban donating.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
Guys guys guys, that video is like when a famous person does a small thing and it turns into a big thing, the Minecraft Terms of Use state that you may not make commercial use of anything they've made, which made the minecraft operator confused or awnsering to his knowledge of the situation.
ONE MAJOR RULE
The one major rule is that you must not distribute anything we‘ve made. By “distribute anything we‘ve made” what we mean is “give copies of the game away, make commercial use of, try to make money from, or let other people get access to our game and its parts in a way that is unfair or unreasonable”. So the one major rule is that (unless we specifically agree it – such as in brand and asset usage guidelines) you must not:
  • let other people get access to anything we‘ve made in a way that is unfair or unreasonable.
…and so that we are crystal clear, what we have made includes, but is not limited to, the client or the server software for our Game. It also includes modified versions of a Game, part of it or anything else we‘ve made.
Otherwise we are quite relaxed about what you do - in fact we really encourage you to do cool stuff - but just don‘t do those things that we say you can‘t.

Thats what it says about it, technically many servers do sell stuff in game to people, but if you think on our side, MCSG and MCG does not sell stuff that mojang, Minecraft creators made, we are selling features created within our minigame. So dont freak out cause MCG and MCSG wont fall unless Mojang bans servers outside of Minecraft Realms. We are safe.
Correct, but the thing is, if it gets out of hand Mojang can, (and possibly will) take action.

Mojang is technically the one losing money.

Mlpoknzaba

Diamond
Reaction score
ONE MAJOR RULE

Mojang have stated that it is illegal to make money using Minecraft.

And nothing will come of it, as many have said, they have known for ages and don't really mind, I'm just pointing out that they can.

KorStonesword

Diamond
Reaction score
Keep in mind: it may be against the rules for servers to sell ranks for money.

However, MCGamer does not sell ranks! MCGamer gives perks for your donations. Technically on MCGamer ranks aren't sold - they are donated for! ^_^
That is 99% of servers. Very few servers I've seen refer to them as anything but Donations. But in the long run, the majority of players are purchasing it merely for the rank.

Though I doubt Mojang will purposely try to destroy a massive their community. Remember when ZexyZek made the big deal out of 'Trolling' being illegal? Notch himself commented on how he doesn't get into the legal 'mumbo-jumbo' but he would do his best to have the rule altered or removed. A lot of rules are there for reasons, but most-often, there are factors that they didn't consider that they are okay with.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
**This is taken from my background knowledge of Minecraft, Servers, Donations, and some other stuff.

I'd like to point something out:
When you pay for a donor rank, the transaction is considered a donation. You are not guaranteed anything in return. However, it is correctly assumed that donating a certain amount merits a certain reward which the server staff/owner chooses to bestow as a sort of "thank-you". Think of it as, if you donate $100 to a Cancer society, they might give you a card which allows you to access certain parts of their headquarters, or entitle you to a free tour of the building. They don't HAVE to give you that card, but they do. And some people use this system as a sort of unofficial payment for that tour/building access, or in this case in-game items or ranks. Think of it as exploiting the legal system in a legal but sort of sketchy deal.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
**This is taken from my background knowledge of Minecraft, Servers, Donations, and some other stuff.

I'd like to point something out:
When you pay for a donor rank, the transaction is considered a donation. You are not guaranteed anything in return. However, it is correctly assumed that donating a certain amount merits a certain reward which the server staff/owner chooses to bestow as a sort of "thank-you". Think of it as, if you donate $100 to a Cancer society, they might give you a card which allows you to access certain parts of their headquarters, or entitle you to a free tour of the building. They don't HAVE to give you that card, but they do. And some people use this system as a sort of unofficial payment for that tour/building access, or in this case in-game items or ranks. Think of it as exploiting the legal system in a legal but sort of sketchy deal.
But the fact that you are getting Monetary value, purposely (as in, MCGamer will give it to you no matter what, its automatic) then I dont see how its a donation.

A donation is when you don't get anything back, at all
Notch himself commented on how he doesn't get into the legal 'mumbo-jumbo' but he would do his best to have the rule altered or removed.
Good 'ol Notch

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
But the fact that you are getting Monetary value, purposely (as in, MCGamer will give it to you no matter what, its automatic) then I dont see how its a donation.

A donation is when you don't get anything back, at all

Good 'ol Notch
But it's legally classified as a donation, not as a sales. This is also how Minecraft servers avoid tax laws and don't need a business license. If they were legally "selling" things, then all of the sales (which are currently called donations) would be subjected to taxes, and all of those servers would have to be legally registered as a business. Also, if a Minecraft server were to shut down, the person could try to sue the owner because they bought a rank, but lost it when it shut down. (Unless the sold item/rank/package specified that the rank was only valid as long as the server was operational.)

I feel like there's more to explain here but I can't put my finger on it so just ask away and I'll try my best to explain, or someone else.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci