• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Death of Minecraft Servers?

Mojang - Crazy or Smart?

• Crazy

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • Smart

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

Manos

Diamond
Reaction score
Well this is my two cents on the topic

Notch played a couple games of mcsg himself, I'm sure he saw some donors and such c:

Duncanbh3

Experienced
Reaction score
Well this is my two cents on the topic

Notch played a couple games of mcsg himself, I'm sure he saw some donors and such c:
Sure he played MCSG, but as he said he doesnt get into the legal mumbo jumbo.

KorStonesword

Diamond
Reaction score
Sure he played MCSG, but as he said he doesnt get into the legal mumbo jumbo.
Wow Notch played MCSG! :p I noticed that he's been appearing in things lately. (He initially pretty much completely stopped playing Minecraft after he left it, to avoid being tempted to try to influence changes to it.)

Nineharted

Career
Reaction score
It basically isn't a donation. You give money to get something - a purchase. So all servers should pay taxes in this situation, but as far as I know you don't have to pay taxes when using Buycraft...
That's correct and incorrect. It is a donation because they say it is HOWEVER
It is a purchase, because you provide a set amount of currency in exchange for a product they are obligated to provide due to an automated system that automatically deals the perks to the account that bought them. HOWEVER
If it were u a purchase, chargeback would have to be allowed; it would be a refund. Calling this a donation gives them an opportunity to make chargeback not allowed for this reason:
After donating, that is willingly giving money to someone. By this logic, taking it back is merely stealing money from them. You haven't gotten a refund but however stolen money to which you were not given consent.
It is also a donation considering this:
If you purchased a product and then you were banned causing you to be incapable of using that product, that would certainly not be legal as it is in a way damage of property. If a dealership sold you a car and then went to your home and poured milk all over the engine, that screws it up. To this same analogy but to a different degree, banning someone who purchased diamond rank is also not legal. So they would have to provide a refund like the car dealership. By this logic, they must call it donor to avoid loss of money which in my opinion is actually quite a good idea.

KorStonesword

Diamond
Reaction score
It is a purchase, because you provide a set amount of currency in exchange for a product they are obligated to provide due to an automated system that automatically deals the perks to the account that bought them. HOWEVER
If it were u a purchase, chargeback would have to be allowed; it would be a refund. Calling this a donation gives them an opportunity to make chargeback not allowed for this reason:
After donating, that is willingly giving money to someone. By this logic, taking it back is merely stealing money from them. You haven't gotten a refund but however stolen money to which you were not given consent.
If you purchased a product and then you were banned causing you to be incapable of using that product, that would certainly not be legal as it is in a way damage of property. If a dealership sold you a car and then went to your home and poured milk all over the engine, that screws it up. To this same analogy but to a different degree, banning someone who purchased diamond rank is also not legal. So they would have to provide a refund like the car dealership. By this logic, they must call it donor to avoid loss of money which in my opinion is actually quite a good idea.

Nice points...
HOWEVER
....nothing....I just wanted to say 'however' in all caps too.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I agree with several points which you made, and I don't mean to contradict you, but I just wanted to point out this small thing:

Stores and businesses are allowed to disallow (lol) refunds, as long as the person is aware at the time of purchase that they may not refund it.
Also, in court they could claim that it was an act of the individual, and the person would only have to pay for repairs, unless the person was blatantly representing the company in his acts or stated thus.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
But the fact that you are getting Monetary value, purposely (as in, MCGamer will give it to you no matter what, its automatic) then I dont see how its a donation.

A donation is when you don't get anything back, at all

Good 'ol Notch
By definition, you could refer to it as a purchase. However, Moo nailed it on the head - they call it a donation. Therefore the donator is willing giving money to the organization: the organization is just giving a thank-you for support. It's kind of a legal bypass. Another example similar to. Moo's - if I donate to a foundation and they give me a blanket, it doesn't mean I purchased the blanket. Technically, I gave money and they gave me a blanket separately. Not one thing for the other. It's all in how you put it really.

Nineharted

Career
Reaction score
I agree with several points which you made, and I don't mean to contradict you, but I just wanted to point out this small thing:

Stores and businesses are allowed to disallow (lol) refunds, as long as the person is aware at the time of purchase that they may not refund it.
Also, in court they could claim that it was an act of the individual, and the person would only have to pay for repairs, unless the person was blatantly representing the company in his acts or stated thus.
Fair enough.
It's not like Mojang aren't rich enough or anything at the moment.. not at all..
Why not maximize profit right? ;)

AMooseMan3

Platinum
Reaction score
An extract from the front page of the MCGamer Upgrades Shop:
"Welcome to the MCGamerNET web store! Here, you can purchase premium upgrades and other perks. To start, click any of the tabs above."

As you can see here they refer to it as a purchase, which is selling something not making a donation.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
An extract from the front page of the MCGamer Upgrades Shop:
"Welcome to the MCGamerNET web store! Here, you can purchase premium upgrades and other perks. To start, click any of the tabs above."

As you can see here they refer to it as a purchase, which is selling something not making a donation.
Well, I guess they dun goofed then.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci