• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

SURVIVAL GAMES The Forgotten Times

Should this map be added?

• Yes!

Votes: 123 83.7%
  • No (leave a response why).

Votes: 24 16.3%

• Total voters

BlueHeron

District 13
Reaction score
After downloading this map, I can say that this map is NOT that great.

The terraforming. Yuch. It's not smoothed out enough. I can clearly make out the voxels and in some places, I can see entire spheres of stone. That's not even mentioning your "overhangs." I don't know who's great idea it was to just place some floating dirt right off a cliff and call it an overhang, but I can tell you it wasn't a great idea. The mountains are okay though. And then the tree's, let me tell you, replacing logs for fences, and putting it half the leaves it should have, doesn't look good.

The builds, there're decent, not really detailed, and some of them are in really weird places. Like that awkward small, undetailed, rather amateur wooden boat on the even more awkward small river right next to the sweet. Also the layout is just really stupid, you block out the entire outer areas of the map with those annoying hills, y u do dis? And the paths/roads, are just plain ugly and stupid. They're plain, boring, not thick enough, and frankly you used the wrong blocks for the mountain trails.

Honestly, if I had to revamp this map, I would've re-terraformed it to have a better layout, fixed the awkward builds, and pasted in the already decent builds.

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
After downloading this map, I can say that this map is NOT that great.

The terraforming. Yuch. It's not smoothed out enough. I can clearly make out the voxels and in some places, I can see entire spheres of stone. That's not even mentioning your "overhangs." I don't know who's great idea it was to just place some floating dirt right off a cliff and call it an overhang, but I can tell you it wasn't a great idea. The mountains are okay though. And then the tree's, let me tell you, replacing logs for fences, and putting it half the leaves it should have, doesn't look good.

The builds, there're decent, not really detailed, and some of them are in really weird places. Like that awkward small, undetailed, rather amateur wooden boat on the even more awkward small river right next to the sweet. Also the layout is just really stupid, you block out the entire outer areas of the map with those annoying hills, y u do dis? And the paths/roads, are just plain ugly and stupid. They're plain, boring, not thick enough, and frankly you used the wrong blocks for the mountain trails.

Honestly, if I had to revamp this map, I would've re-terraformed it to have a better layout, fixed the awkward builds, and pasted in the already decent builds.
To be honest, most of the stuff you are critiquing was made during the original build. A lot of the things we revamped are the better-looking items in the map.

Before I get to your points, thank you for the good suggestions! We are already in the process of making the map look even better, and some of the points you brought up we are fixing.

1. Your point on the terraforming- we were already working on pushing out an update, and as part of that we've smoothed some things out.

However, a lot of the terraforming is supposed to have sort of a roughened feel to it, a bit like SG1. The overhangs were part of the original map and we decided to keep them because they looked interesting.

The mountains IMO are pretty good. They could be a bit better, but since they aren't part of the actual map and really just background scenery we didn't really focus much on them.
    ------------------------------------------------------
  2. The trees are staying, period. They are there to look realistic. In minecraft, realistic means unrealistic. In order for things to look good in minecraft, you almost have to use unconventional methods. I got the idea from a tree custom pack that someone had based of trees IN REAL LIFE.

Why do people add stairs to the outside of houses to make the exterior look good? It certainly isn't realistic. However, it makes the design look so much better. That's the point of the fences.

Again, the trees are staying because I truly think they look good, and I have been playing minecraft for over 4 years. That's why I personally decided to use those trees!
  3. Many of the builds are actually very good. Again, here's where we had to decide whether or not we were going for accessibility or perfection. The map is meant to be played on, not to be judged for a beauty contest. :p
    Almost all the builds we spent quality time on. The boat wasn't really meant to be anything special; just a normal old boat off the shore. However, we are making it better quality! :D
  4. The river is also being improved currently.
  5. Here's where you crossed the line. The hills are there for a purpose. They force people to explore the map (even the outskirts!) so they don't all just stay towards the center. The hills add some curiosity. "Oh, I wonder what's behind these hills! I want to explore!" They ensure that people explore almost all of the map, + they are a nice touch.
    We didn't rush through the layout: we planned it like that.

6. There is frankly nothing wrong with the roads. Yeah, they could be thicker, but as they are they fit the map. They are supposed to be realistic, but also fit the map. Considering the map isn't based off the roads, I think that they are perfectly fine.
    Besides, the roads were part of the original map and they still look good in my opinion and in the opinion of many others.

7. The mountain trail is a rural area. I actually used the right type of block for it. :p
Again, thanks for your opinions and suggestions! :)

BlueHeron

District 13
Reaction score
To be honest, most of the stuff you are critiquing was made during the original build. A lot of the things we revamped are the better-looking items in the map.

Before I get to your points, thank you for the good suggestions! We are already in the process of making the map look even better, and some of the points you brought up we are fixing.

1. Your point on the terraforming- we were already working on pushing out an update, and as part of that we've smoothed some things out.

However, a lot of the terraforming is supposed to have sort of a roughened feel to it, a bit like SG1. The overhangs were part of the original map and we decided to keep them because they looked interesting.

The mountains IMO are pretty good. They could be a bit better, but since they aren't part of the actual map and really just background scenery we didn't really focus much on them.
  2. The trees are staying, period. They are there to look realistic. In minecraft, realistic means unrealistic. In order for things to look good in minecraft, you almost have to use unconventional methods. I got the idea from a tree custom pack that someone had based of trees IN REAL LIFE.

Why do people add stairs to the outside of houses to make the exterior look good? It certainly isn't realistic. However, it makes the design look so much better. That's the point of the fences.

Again, the trees are staying because I truly think they look good, and I have been playing minecraft for over 4 years. That's why I personally decided to use those trees!
  3. Many of the builds are actually very good. Again, here's where we had to decide whether or not we were going for accessibility or perfection. The map is meant to be played on, not to be judged for a beauty contest. :p
    Almost all the builds we spent quality time on. The boat wasn't really meant to be anything special; just a normal old boat off the shore. However, we are making it better quality! :D
  4. The river is also being improved currently.
  5. Here's where you crossed the line. The hills are there for a purpose. They force people to explore the map (even the outskirts!) so they don't all just stay towards the center. The hills add some curiosity. "Oh, I wonder what's behind these hills! I want to explore!" They ensure that people explore almost all of the map, + they are a nice touch.
    We didn't rush through the layout: we planned it like that.

6. There is frankly nothing wrong with the roads. Yeah, they could be thicker, but as they are they fit the map. They are supposed to be realistic, but also fit the map. Considering the map isn't based off the roads, I think that they are perfectly fine.
    Besides, the roads were part of the original map and they still look good in my opinion and in the opinion of many others.

7. The mountain trail is a rural area. I actually used the right type of block for it. :p
Again, thanks for your opinions and suggestions! :)
1. Rough doesn't mean amateur, and that terraforming definitely looked amatuer and under-processed. There are plenty of better ways to create a 'rough' feel. I'd suggest a heavy splatter of gravel and stone on grassy areas, maybe even some podzol. As for the mountains, I do agree, they look quite good. Only complaint is the d3 splatter of grass, which IMO should've been a d1. Overall, I felt the mountains were the best part of the terraforming.

2. The trees don't even look realistic, they just look weird. And what's with the half despawned leaves?

3. My complaint with the builds is the lack of depth they have.

4. Tips for the river- give it some depth and a nice splatter overlay.

5. To me, the hill is just a bother and someplace which I'll never go around. It's like that jungle in SG3.

6. The roads were a small complaint, but I really felt like the builds were mashed together; all small with a lack of space. The roads are an example of this.

7. Rural area with bright orange stained clay? Try a splatter of gravel, fits any countryside road.

Overall I really want to like this map- theres just some points that make it from being an ideal map. I like the theme, I like the chest placement, just fix up some of those key things and it'll be great :)
I was going to upload some pics of these issues, but it was a big upload, and forgot to edit it in :p
Here's the link: http://imgur.com/kR6WGWw,ZlywV0E,7Oq0Dao,982FJOR,o4pqW6f,YdutKAe,lds7hwH,FXzca8s,A3SEwYL,nhY891u

Theres a picture of a lake with a bedrock floor, which is a BIIIIGGG no-no. I'd fix that up, ASAP.

Bamber

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Downloaded and checked out the map, here are some comments:

Trees: I enjoy the trees and they look pretty good, but there are so many! I got a decent amount of frame lag, it's comparable to the large tree in Ancient Japan that give lots of people frame lag. I can't really give a good suggestion on how to fix/improve this, maybe getting rid of some leaf blocks that players can't see?
Terraforming: I think the terraforming is pretty good on the most part. The only terraforming that can really be improved would be the one on the ledge near the airport. It's kinda basic and smooth.
Size: I think the map is a bit too big. I think that it should end right around the hill that divides the river area and the center of the map. If it's kept, I feel as if it would create very long games with noobs running around that giant forest on the outer edge.
Builds: Builds look pretty darn good, IMO. Only thing I can say is that I feel that some buildings, particularly the capitol one off spawn, have too many branch off and separate passageways that would take quite a while to explore completely as you look for chests.

Other: Why are the spawn chests and lots of other chests ender chests? I'm guessing it wasn't meant to be like this, cuz this won't work well with the in-game community.

Gotta say, I love the design of the streets and roads. Looks great!

I'm not sure, but corn looks a bit unfair to me. Idk, it might just be an optical illusion or something, but it feels as if the people in the corner will have a harder time at getting the chests.

Kinda hard to FNS at corn, hope you release a deathmatch arena soon!

I'll give this map a 7 out of 10, good work!!! Hope it gets added in the nearest future with some minor tweaks and changes!!

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score

Trees: I enjoy the trees and they look pretty good, but there are so many! I got a decent amount of frame lag, it's comparable to the large tree in Ancient Japan that give lots of people frame lag. I can't really give a good suggestion on how to fix/improve this, maybe getting rid of some leaf blocks that players can't see?
Terraforming: I think the terraforming is pretty good on the most part. The only terraforming that can really be improved would be the one on the ledge near the airport. It's kinda basic and smooth.
Size: I think the map is a bit too big. I think that it should end right around the hill that divides the river area and the center of the map. If it's kept, I feel as if it would create very long games with noobs running around that giant forest on the outer edge.
Builds: Builds look pretty darn good, IMO. Only thing I can say is that I feel that some building, particularly the capitol one off spawn, have too many branch off and separate passageways that would take quite a while to explore completely as you look for chests.

Other: Why are the spawn chests and lots of other chests ender chests? I'm guessing it wasn't meant to be like this, cuz this won't work well with the in-game community.

I'm not sure, but corn looks a bit unfair to me. Idk, it might just be an optical illusion or something, but it feels as if the people in the corner will have a harder time at getting the chests.

I'll give this map a 7 out of 10, good work!!! Hope it gets added in the nearest future with some minor tweaks and changes!!
First of all, it is MCSG guidelines to have tier 2 chests as ender chests. :p
About the size: 275 is a great size for a map; smaller than many of the other maps on MCSG.

Also, we ARE GOING TO BE UPLOADING A FIXED VERSION OF THE MAP!

This will include:
  • better builds
  • smoother terraforming
  • a deathmatch arena!

Bamber

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
First of all, it is MCSG guidelines to have tier 2 chests as ender chests. :p
About the size: 275 is a great size for a map; smaller than many of the other maps on MCSG.

Also, we ARE GOING TO BE UPLOADING A FIXED VERSION OF THE MAP!

This will include:
  • better builds
  • smoother terraforming
  • a deathmatch arena!
Oh derp. I didn't know that about the ender chests. :p Sorry 'bout that!

Size? I probs should have been more clear on how I explained this, but I meant more along the lines of the fact that the outer rim is kinda desolate and empty. I feel as if I'll be harder to find people there, thus causing longer games.

And the deathmatch arena? I know that you had posted about it, I was just clarifiing that I was glad that you were going to add the arena soon. (I should have used "the deathmatch arena" instead of "a deathmatch arena", sorry!

:) :) :)

M

MrKorrenian

Builds: Builds look pretty darn good, IMO. Only thing I can say is that I feel that some buildings, particularly the capitol one off spawn, have too many branch off and separate passageways that would take quite a while to explore completely as you look for chests.

The Vines on the White House was a big mess up by the original map creators. Captain | Lqzer you guys should probably go and remove some of them.

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
Update One has been pushed out!
  • Added Deathmatch arena above spawn
  • Fixed up some crappy builds
  • Smoothed out terraforming
  • Deleted unnecessary trees

africanswallow

Platinum
Reaction score
Size? I probs should have been more clear on how I explained this, but I meant more along the lines of the fact that the outer rim is kinda desolate and empty. I feel as if I'll be harder to find people there, thus causing longer games.

:) :) :)
The outer edges do have a few, lets say secrets. Possibly referring to the background of the map :p

CookiemasterMC

Survivor
Reaction score
Awesome!! I hope this map get's accepted, i really like the scenery and hope to play on it Good Job Too the Build Team And Others Who made this Map :D

-cookiemaster_09/Bluzerd this was soo good i think i fainted......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci