• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Meaning Of Life

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Amen. This has been interesting.

Here's a possible revival question: Which is more related to true happiness, having a large amount of pleasure, or achieving everything you ever wanted to? If you could only choose one, which would it be?

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score

Here's a possible revival question: Which is more related to true happiness, having a large amount of pleasure, or achieving everything you ever wanted to? If you could only choose one, which would it be?
Having a large amount of pleasure because achieving everything you ever wanted to is fake happiness. You're tricking yourself into being happy with things that you only think you want. There is no such thing as true happiness, but simply having pleasure is closer to that idea.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score

Happiness is immaterial and therefore is pretty pointless to talk about tbh

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Having a large amount of pleasure because achieving everything you ever wanted to is fake happiness. You're tricking yourself into being happy with things that you only think you want. There is no such thing as true happiness, but simply having pleasure is closer to that idea.
So achieving what you want to achieve is fake happiness? From everything I've seen, humans do experience real happiness when they accomplish something, such as winning a game of MCSG, or scoring a goal in a sport. Though it does seem different from the happiness you get from eating your favorite food. I'm trying to understand the difference.

Also, true happiness is a real thing. I don't think you can argue that there aren't truly happy and satisfied people in the world. There are people who are genuinely content with practically everything in their lives.
Happiness is immaterial and therefore is pretty pointless to talk about tbh
Wait, what's your point? We have important discussions about immaterial things all the time, and we just had one in this thread. You can't live life without talking about immaterial things such as laws, emotions, motives, hypothetical scenarios, etc... Would you rather talk about chemistry? This is a philosophical thread.

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
So achieving what you want to achieve is fake happiness? From everything I've seen, humans do experience real happiness when they accomplish something, such as winning a game of MCSG, or scoring a goal in a sport. Though it does seem different from the happiness you get from eating your favorite food. I'm trying to understand the difference.

Also, true happiness is a real thing. I don't think you can argue that there aren't truly happy and satisfied people in the world. There are people who are genuinely content with practically everything in their lives.

Wait, what's your point? We have important discussions about immaterial things all the time, and we just had one in this thread. You can't live life without talking about immaterial things such as laws, emotions, motives, hypothetical scenarios, etc... Would you rather talk about chemistry? This is a philosophical thread.
My belief is that there are people who think that they're truly happy, which some people take as true happiness, but just like everything else, it's a trick that keeps us motivated to go on in life, even though there's no purpose beyond being alive (as opposed to being dead).

ogn | Luke

Career
Reaction score
The meaning of life is to live your dream , no matter what happens.

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Why take so much time to answer the question, when we can just experience it and enjoy it?

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
My belief is that there are people who think that they're truly happy, which some people take as true happiness, but just like everything else, it's a trick that keeps us motivated to go on in life, even though there's no purpose beyond being alive (as opposed to being dead).
Aw, sad! I can totally respect that view, though. So out of curiosity, do you think sadness is fake as well, since it is the opposite of happiness?
Why take so much time to answer the question, when we can just experience it and enjoy it?
Haha some people (me) enjoy philosophy a little too much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci