• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The most important question I'm ever going to ask on this site.

Is the staff corrupt? Explain.

• -I'm not going to put words in you mouth this time.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • ^^^^^^^^

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pixel

Experienced
Reaction score
Wow, be careful. You could get banned for saying things like that!
Don't worry, it will happen eventually. When the own admin is basically calling you an asshole for stating your own beliefs in the only way you know how to. Everyone conforms to the staff, always. I believe this is morally wrong. But nope, don't side with the kid who has poor grammar and wants change for once. I'm done.

Toast

District 13
Reaction score
Here is a question: I locked this thread for a reason, why the hell was it unlocked? Because I locked it to avoid flame wars, which is pretty much whats going on here.

pixel

Experienced
Reaction score
yes thank you for deleting my post. freedom of speech? LOL SOOOOOO 1787

slasherxtreme

District 13
Reaction score
A bit distracted at the moment, so I'll keep this short for now.

I think we both misunderstood each other there for a bit.

I'm talking more about instances where you didn't quite tell someone everything they might have wanted to know. As an example, (really, an example, this isn't realistically much help.) when responding to someones moderator application with why they were denied, it might be dumbed down quite a bit, you don't give specific details, just enough for them to know they were demoted for being too young or whatever. (I'm not entirely sure how they are dealt with - again, examples.) What they really want to know is every other thought going through your mind. Threads are made asking why they were denied, because...they didn't get the answer they were happy with.

By all of this, I mean when someone wants to know something, you have been telling them exactly what their asking for and not anything more, which is the problem. When someone asks how to get mod, you don't just tell them "you apply", you give them detailed instructions on exactly how to apply, since that's going to be an obvious follow up question. Sometimes, you just have to assume they still have questions, even if they don't ask them, because for many new members, talking to a staff member for an extended period of time can be quite intimidating.

Don't take all that too far, though, rambling on about something for too long and giving too much information at once can overwhelm them, just tell them exactly what they need to know for both their question and anything more that relates to it, but skip over the details they can figure out for themselves. (In applying for a mod, the location to post the application, how to title it, etc., should all be on one page that you direct them to.)

In short, when someone asks a question, answer their follow up question before they even ask it. It is very, very often that you can make an educated guess of follow up questions or concerns they may have, as these misconceptions or questions are frequent after the initial response. Eventually you'll learn exactly what's going on in their mind as you respond to them - just image you are them, new to the servers, and read what you say as if you knew nothing. Something sounds confusing? Elaborate just a bit.

Edit: You're right about random unrelated questions, though. If someone wants to ask about something that you would have no idea their confused about, (such as the first question most people would ask - you wouldn't know they had it until they ask.) then yes, it should be encouraged they come to you for it, but that still doesn't mean you shouldn't do what I mentioned, because I feel what I mentioned is the stem of many problems.

Edit 2: I used the word "you" a lot in this post, understand none of it was directed at you, I was using it loosely.
I'm sure there are other examples that I'm unaware of, which I will continue to further think about and try to improve on, but regarding applications. We don't want to tell them too much as we feel if they're really dedicated to being a staff member, they would go out of their way to learn this them self through reading the forums, learn by watching, or asking an already mod. This kind of goes with when someone asks how to apply as well. Obviously saying, "you apply" is unacceptable and not very useful but if someone says "Go on the forums to apply". I'd say that's acceptable. I'm not too sure on if you suggest we tell them step by step how to do it but if you did mean that, I'd think it would be guiding them too much. When it comes to moderators, we really want people who step up and search for what they want independently. But as I've said before, I'm sure there are other examples so the topic of how to help people and elaborating will be a point of discussion with the moderators.

Last edited:

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a question: I locked this thread for a reason, why the hell was it unlocked? Because I locked it to avoid flame wars, which is pretty much whats going on here.
It was unlocked because it was actually being handled quite well, which was surprising. There was a clear discussion going on without any flaming.

That being said, the last few posts have been degraded a bit. I am authorizing a lock.

Everyone who had something decent to say, I may chat with you all later for some follow-up discussions privately.

Yes, thank you for insulting my beliefs. what a wonderful admin!
I never actually insulted your beliefs (unless you believe you are an evangelical preacher). I simply criticized how you went about displaying them, which only served to degrade your message. THAT is the difference between the flaming threads that get locked and the criticism threads that get listened to. Don't fall into the same misunderstanding as the other flaming threads we had to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci