• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Using A Mechanical Keyboards, Cheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
If you set macros on your keyboard like clicking, this would be considered cheating because it gives you an unfair advantage, because not everyone has an mechanical Keyboard.
But like people have said it's a bit of a tricky situation because the same argument could be used for people with better computers having an unfair advantage. ;P

Jarni

Career
Reaction score
But like people have said it's a bit of a tricky situation because the same argument could be used for people with better computers having an unfair advantage. ;P
True, it can also be used against optifine, saying that optifine is unfair, because not everyone uses it.

Ninetailefox92

District 13
Reaction score
I would say using a mechanical keyboard is completely fine.. it would be the using of unfair macros which are allowed with the keyboard would be against the rules?

Hawk62

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Well if we're being honest about it, yes it does give an advantage, but do you consider someone have better hardware than you cheating? While you're stuck with a tiny zoom distance running at an unsteady frames, they have a far distance running the game perfectly, it's a huge advantage, nothing cheating though, as all they have is better hardware. Or if someone has better internet than you, never lagging, while you're lagging around, is that cheating? Or someone having Astros/Turtle Beaches/Tritons/whatever headset and being able to hear every sound and detect your location based on sound, while you only have headphones/computer speakers, is that cheating?

Someone having better equipment than you being cheating is honestly a kind of unfair jump.
I actually respect you a lot for making this thread. Personally I bugs me when people whine about their 70 fps. I use to get "7 fps and about 800 ms. Now I get about 25 fps (with tiny render and other bad graphics settings). People with better equipment will always have some sort of advantage. I'm no sure if your keyboard is considered cheating, but if what you're dong feels wrong I say don't use it.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I don't believe it's cheating... I'm not really sure about the topic of macros. Aslong as you're not using them for sprint toggles I believe it's fine, not 100% sure though. If a sr mod could clarify that would be great.

Aeruner

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Just to do a bit of nitpicking on the terms used - a "mechanical keyboard" in itself has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to set macros to specific keys/key combinations, and not all of them have special macro keys either.
Based on that statement, any sort of macro that would make your game easier would have to be set up through third party software that allows you to do so, which as a result would be considered the same as "hacking".

TL;DR: Don't do it.

BlazeMaster

Career
Reaction score
Well if we're being honest about it, yes it does give an advantage, but do you consider someone have better hardware than you cheating? While you're stuck with a tiny zoom distance running at an unsteady frames, they have a far distance running the game perfectly, it's a huge advantage, nothing cheating though, as all they have is better hardware. Or if someone has better internet than you, never lagging, while you're lagging around, is that cheating? Or someone having Astros/Turtle Beaches/Tritons/whatever headset and being able to hear every sound and detect your location based on sound, while you only have headphones/computer speakers, is that cheating?

Someone having better equipment than you being cheating is honestly a kind of unfair jump.
Yeah I agree with you but I also agree with Aeruner, I guess only our beloved ChadTheDJ can resolve this issue.

Ninetailefox92

District 13
Reaction score
If mechanical keyboards were banned for giving an advantage.. would gaming mice have to be also banned? since they let you click faster.. and then graphics cards give you a sight advantage over people with worse setups? Really I think Hardware can't be moderated unless its clearly been modified to enhance gameplay such as autoclicking etc.

yuraleth

Survivor
Reaction score
Even if we got enough evidence to consider using it cheating there is no way that we can control whether or not they use one. Unless of course we station moderators outside of every players house.

Math_Magician

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I used to have a Mac book that got 30-40 fps on tiny (Without optifine because I couldn't install mods or use Magic launcher on the Mac book because it was screwed up). Now I have a Gaming Computer that gets 125-150 fps on Normal FPS, and honestly the increase in FPS didn't really make my PVP much better. I used to complain a lot about low FPS, but honestly I PVP-ed just the same on my old computer. From my experience unless you have some crippling FPS (maybe lower than 15), getting higher FPS should not really give you a large advantage. Granted if you are forced to play on tiny without optifine (like me), i had trouble bowing people because I couldn't see them once they walked off my chunk, and often got sneak attacked because I could barely see anything.

Optifine zoom isn't as OP for people with larger screens, but for laptop users it can be very useful.

Macros that are used to click fast, double tap sprint, block hit, etc should be ban-able. As they will often allow you to click faster, sprint more efficiently, or in this case let you focus on strafing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci