• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Which server suits you the best?

Dean

Career
Reaction score
Which server suits you the best?
In this forum post, I'll be showing you how to chose the best server for your location. I have been noticing a large sum of players not playing on the best server for their location. I understand that this may be because they're unable to join but it also may be becasue they don't know which server suits them the best (connection wise).
This is a guide on how to ping an IP address (i.e. au1.mcsg.in). The idea of pinging is to check the connection between two network nodes by sending data packets to a host and then reporting the time it takes to get a response in 'ms' (milliseconds). A millisecond is a thousandth of a second, if you were to have 100ms, that would be 0.1 seconds or 10% of a second.
I will show you how to ping on Mac OS X, Windows 7/Vista, and Minecraft (use this method if your computer has restrictions that doesn't allow you to complete the other steps).
Guide for Mac OS X:
  1. Click on Finder in the dock.
  2. Click on Utilities in the Go menu
  3. Double click on Network Utility.
  4. In the Network Utility window, click on the "Ping" tab.
  5. Enter an IP address (e.g. au1.mcsg.in) in the field provided, then click "Ping"

Guide for Windows 7/Vista:
  1. Hold down the start button on your keyboard and press the 'R' key.
  2. Type in cmd and press enter.
  3. Once cmd.exe is running, type in "ping (ip address, i.e. au1.mcsg.in)" and press enter. An example of what to type: "ping au1.mcsg.in" (without the quotation marks).
OR
  1. Locate cmd.exe on your computer. It should be located here: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
  2. Double click on cmd.exe.
  3. Once cmd.exe is running, type in "ping (ip address, i.e. au1.mcsg.in)" and press enter. An example of what to type: "ping au1.mcsg.in" (without the quotation marks).
Note: if you cannot see the file extension (.exe) then you have your folder/file settings set so that you cannot see file extensions, this is not a problem nor does it affect anything negatievly.
Guide for lazy people (me):
  1. Run Minecraft.exe.
  2. Log into Minecraft.
  3. Click on Multiplayer.
  4. Hover your cursor over the connection status bar (make sure that you have the server added to your server's list).
I hope ths guide has helped you guys out! If you find a mistake or something missing, please post a comment on this thread, I'll read all of them. Thank you!

Elisha

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Sorry but i dont understand what this is doing for me?
It helps check how much ping you get when playing on either AU, US or EU. Like for instance, i generally play on the Australian servers because i have the least ping there. Therefore, the AU servers suit me. If you aren't sure about what server suits you best and what server you should generally play then follow the guide above.

Doodlydoo31

Survivor
Reaction score
Which server suits you the best?
YOU'VE FOUND AN EASTER EGG - #EASTEREGG @Mr_Lemon_Venom
In this forum post, I'll be showing you how to chose the best server for your location. I have been noticing a large sum of players not playing on the best server for their location. I understand that this may be because they're unable to join but it also may be becasue they don't know which server suits them the best (connection wise).
This is a guide on how to ping an IP address (i.e. au1.mcsg.in). The idea of pinging is to check the connection between two network nodes by sending data packets to a host and then reporting the time it takes to get a response in 'ms' (milliseconds). A millisecond is a thousandth of a second, if you were to have 100ms, that would be 0.1 seconds or 10% of a second.
I will show you how to ping on Mac OS X, Windows 7/Vista, and Minecraft (use this method if your computer has restrictions that doesn't allow you to complete the other steps).
Guide for Mac OS X:
  1. Click on Finder in the dock.
  2. Click on Utilities in the Go menu
  3. Double click on Network Utility.
  4. In the Network Utility window, click on the "Ping" tab.
  5. Enter an IP address (e.g. au1.mcsg.in) in the field provided, then click "Ping"

Guide for Windows 7/Vista:
  1. Hold down the start button on your keyboard and press the 'R' key.
  2. Type in cmd and press enter.
OR
  1. Locate cmd.exe on your computer. It should be located here: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
  2. Double click on cmd.exe.
Note: if you cannot see the file extension (.exe) then you have your folder/file settings set so that you cannot see file extensions, this is not a problem nor does it affect anything negatievly.
Guide for lazy people (me):
  1. Run Minecraft.exe.
  2. Log into Minecraft.
  3. Click on Multiplayer.
  4. Hover your cursor over the connection status bar (make sure that you have the server added to your server's list).
I hope ths guide has helped you guys out! If you find a mistake or something missing, please post a commect on this thread, I'll read all of them. Thank you!

There are a few Easter Eggs in this thread, if you can find them, you're awesome! Hint: The higher the contrast the easier you can notice things.
I don't get it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci