• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Community Discussion: Regarding mod applications

Would you support the imposition of a limit like this?

• Yes

Votes: 24 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I wanted to make the title of this thread "Community Discussion: Should there be a limit on how long someone has to have been in the community to apply for Moderator?" but as you can probably tell, that's way too long. I guess we'll have to settle for the title I set instead.

I've been prompted to make this thread by a status update made by ALL1DO1SW1N : "It's ridiculous how people apply for Moderator just for the rank and attention.. I'm not saying everyone does this but I find it unappealing"
The comments made me think about the issue and made me remember something that I've supported for quite a while: a limit on how long someone has to have been actively a member of the community for before being considered a worthy applicant for Mod.

Before I start, and I know this will be said; I'd like to first point out I am in no way, shape or form bashing the current Moderators who don't meet this standard I'm proposing. If you guys are here for the right reasons, that's totally fine. I'm more speaking out to the future Moderators of the community who are considering applying.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense for the Moderators of the community to be respected and known people in the community. We're not talking YouTuber status, we're talking about people from the community actually being able to say "Hey, I knew who that guy was before he was a Moderator".

It's often the Moderators who have been around in this community longer that are more respected. The community looks up to them more because they can relate to them more. They're not just some random Tom, Inappropriate body part on a male or Harry who's shown up at the party quite recently and decided from the get-go that they're going to be a Moderator. The respected Moderators are people who have been in the community for a long time. See where I'm getting at?

Would it then make more sense, for the community's sake, to be hiring staff members like this? Ones that the community are more likely to place trust in? A lot of people apart from myself think alike. How do we achieve this, then? We set a limit on how long people have to have been a part of the community for.

How would we define the limits though? Ultimately that would be the Administration's job, but I'd say a sensible figure would be actively part of the forum community for at least 6 months prior to applying. That's enough time for the community to acquaint themselves with these people. Note that I say active: this is to prevent people who have been on the forums for 6 months or longer but have only a couple of posts from applying, as that's hardly being an active member of the community. Over 6 months being active in the community, you should have at least 250 posts.

Of course, not every good Moderator is going to be a long-standing member of this community, so that's why I'd also propose a system similar to the previous age exception- let me introduce to you the Experience Exception. A way for applicants who believe they are at the same standard as their more experienced counterparts to prove that they do indeed have what it takes. The process will be similar to how one approaches an age exception: they will have to find the way to apply for an Experience Exception themselves. I'd say this would be fair, as it doesn't totally rule out their chances of being a staff member.

So, community, I pose this question to you: what are your thoughts on this? Would this be something that you would like to see implemented for the better of the community? We're here to have a civil discussion, folks: say what's on your mind. Even suggest some improvements of your own.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Too often to I see people joining the forums, being super active, talking about how they "just got to pending!" and "just got to interview!!" all the time, act like a moderator, get denied, then you never see them again. Heck, I even see this trend in some new mods (not naming names nor am I saying anything negative to our staff team). I'll see somebody apply for staff after being on the forums for a few weeks, and in those weeks they are super active, then I hardly hear from them after they become a mod, and it makes me sad because some of these people seem like those who I'd really like to get to know better.

The other thing that I find somewhat of a problem is people who don't really interact with the community, yet get moderator. I feel like there should be a minimum requirement for posts, join date, and community events participated in. I'd like to see our staff members be more experienced with the community and its past before becoming staff.

In all honesty, it's not healthy to join the network and immediately shoot for moderator. Nowadays you should really spend at least 4-6 months being an actual community member, and experiencing things from the whole spectrum before even considering applying for the position

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
The other problem, people like me who joke about applying for mod get respect. I don't doubt myself, I think I'd be a fantastic mod, but the way I act does not mean I deserve the respect I get.

BedIntruder

Experienced
Reaction score
yes.

Minimum 6 months, recommended 9 months- a year, with at least 500-1k posts.

BadMadz85

Survivor
Reaction score
  • Best thread out? some kid joined forums got 400 messages in 3 days applied for mod and got accepted. like does that make sencerino

Vinyl

Diamond
Reaction score
To go along with this players should have a certain amount of wins before they can apply, much like the CS:GO Overwatch system. If someone can't even pvp for themselves, how are they expected to identify who is legitimate or not?

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
well 500 posts within 9 months- a year should be incredibly easy.
But I still don't think it should be a requirement. You can tell if someone's active or not, there's a clear distinction (ie: active users with have at bare minimum 200+ posts at 6 months whereas inactive users will have anywhere from a few to 30).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci