• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Community Discussion: Regarding mod applications

Would you support the imposition of a limit like this?

• Yes

Votes: 24 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

BedIntruder

Experienced
Reaction score
But I still don't think it should be a requirement. You can tell if someone's active or not, there's a clear distinction (ie: active users with have at bare minimum 200+ posts at 6 months whereas inactive users will have anywhere from a few to 30).
Well, I guess. But people could easily post boost (apparently that's a thing lol), and spam like lol nice and stuff

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Well, I guess. But people could easily post boost (apparently that's a thing lol), and spam like lol nice and stuff
Well, perhaps at the expense of it meaning more work for the Sr. Staff team, they'll have to review what kind of content users post and see if it classifies as genuine.

jerffy

Experienced
Reaction score
I have to agree with this. The trend isn't just seen on MCGamer, but throughout most of the larger networks. There are people who only apply to look good, and there are people who want staff for the power. I have experienced this first hand being a former staff member on a separate network and I have seen multiple people applying for a staff position with 5 posts and never heard of in the community. Without being known in the community, a staff member will not get the respect that is needed to carry out his or her job well.

As for the suggestion, I also agree to a certain extent. Being an active member of the community is undeniably very important if you want to be a staff member. What's more important in my opinion is the amount of time you spend in game, meaning how much you play on the network. I'd say 7 days in game time would be a good amount for a person to known the mechanics of the server. Of course, exceptions can be made on a case by case basis, but otherwise I think your idea is pretty good too :)

ArcenimTF

Tribute
Reaction score
I agree with most of the limits, but there are a lot of people like me who have been playing MCSG for years (I started playing in late 2012/early 2013) and only recently started becoming active on the forums, with the intention of continuing to post. Would it be fair to rule people like them out just because they haven't been active long enough, even though they care a lot about the community and want to help improve it? I don't want to sound rude, but there are a number of people who have been granted the position of Moderator over the years who didn't deserve it or respect the title and the responsibility that comes with it.

Getix

District 13
Reaction score
I wanted to make the title of this thread "Community Discussion: Should there be a limit on how long someone has to have been in the community to apply for Moderator?" but as you can probably tell, that's way too long. I guess we'll have to settle for the title I set instead.

I've been prompted to make this thread by a status update made by ALL1DO1SW1N : "It's ridiculous how people apply for Moderator just for the rank and attention.. I'm not saying everyone does this but I find it unappealing"
The comments made me think about the issue and made me remember something that I've supported for quite a while: a limit on how long someone has to have been actively a member of the community for before being considered a worthy applicant for Mod.

Before I start, and I know this will be said; I'd like to first point out I am in no way, shape or form bashing the current Moderators who don't meet this standard I'm proposing. If you guys are here for the right reasons, that's totally fine. I'm more speaking out to the future Moderators of the community who are considering applying.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense for the Moderators of the community to be respected and known people in the community. We're not talking YouTuber status, we're talking about people from the community actually being able to say "Hey, I knew who that guy was before he was a Moderator".

It's often the Moderators who have been around in this community longer that are more respected. The community looks up to them more because they can relate to them more. They're not just some random Tom, Inappropriate body part on a male or Harry who's shown up at the party quite recently and decided from the get-go that they're going to be a Moderator. The respected Moderators are people who have been in the community for a long time. See where I'm getting at?

Would it then make more sense, for the community's sake, to be hiring staff members like this? Ones that the community are more likely to place trust in? A lot of people apart from myself think alike. How do we achieve this, then? We set a limit on how long people have to have been a part of the community for.

How would we define the limits though? Ultimately that would be the Administration's job, but I'd say a sensible figure would be actively part of the forum community for at least 6 months prior to applying. That's enough time for the community to acquaint themselves with these people. Note that I say active: this is to prevent people who have been on the forums for 6 months or longer but have only a couple of posts from applying, as that's hardly being an active member of the community. Over 6 months being active in the community, you should have at least 250 posts.

Of course, not every good Moderator is going to be a long-standing member of this community, so that's why I'd also propose a system similar to the previous age exception- let me introduce to you the Experience Exception. A way for applicants who believe they are at the same standard as their more experienced counterparts to prove that they do indeed have what it takes. The process will be similar to how one approaches an age exception: they will have to find the way to apply for an Experience Exception themselves. I'd say this would be fair, as it doesn't totally rule out their chances of being a staff member.

So, community, I pose this question to you: what are your thoughts on this? Would this be something that you would like to see implemented for the better of the community? We're here to have a civil discussion, folks: say what's on your mind. Even suggest some improvements of your own.
Explained. I agree completely. :)

roygator14

Career
Reaction score
This was actually suggested during the CFG today, and was denied.
Reasoning the Mods/SrMods gave:
Someone may be a really good person, or a player who'd make a great Mod, yet they can't apply since they are "too" new to the server.

The main part that was disliked was a Forum Post Limit, Reason:
To limit the Mod Application Field to those with a certain amount of Forum Posts, is just wrong. It is rather hard for some people to warm upto the fact of a Forum, or posting frequently on it.

Note:
I am not being bias about this, as I have been a forum memeber for over 1 year, as well as I have been with the Server since February of 2013.

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This is amazing. Why didn't you stay as a mod? Trilexium ;-;
Would've been demoted for inactivity, so I'd rather have resigned on good terms than be demoted on bad terms. Lost interest in the community, pretty much. Starting to get it back though.

I have thoughts of re-applying, I've already written my application to make it easy for me if the time comes.

ApexMC

Career
Reaction score
I agree with this like sooo much! I have seen people saying in chat "Im gonna go apply so I can get all the pets" And that honestly made me so mad because mod is really so much more than a position on a Minecraft server! Its a spot in a community, that you can interact with and protect! I have applied for moderator because ive been apart of this community for longer than I can remember playing Minecraft, like back when that hub with all the big bridges was active, and I really care about this community, so people who come along and don't even care about it. Thanks.

ItsKyuu

Career
Reaction score
It would really help if there was an official mod application requirement thread. This would help loads of people so they would know when is the right time to apply.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
To go along with this players should have a certain amount of wins before they can apply, much like the CS:GO Overwatch system. If someone can't even pvp for themselves, how are they expected to identify who is legitimate or not?
Eh, while I do actually like this very much, it might be hard for some of us better PvP'ers who simply don't try when playing MCSG anymore. I guess someone who hasn't become a mod yet might have more drive to play the game often, but I find myself playing like 10 games with friends, screwing around and losing all 10, reseting my stats and promising I'll try, then repeating the cycle you know?

I swear one of these days I'll play competitively again .-.

ArgaJones

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
The only problem i have with this, is how you're only talking about the forums. We have two other platforms, which are equally important (If not more important) to moderate. If there was something like this, it would have to take the player's activity on the other platform into account.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci