• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Community Poll: Leaderboards Reset with Newest Update?

Assuming your old statistics would be saved separately, would you like the leaderboards to be reset?

• Yes. I support Legacy Leaderboards, new statistics to track, and a global leaderboards reset.

Votes: 883 53.7%
  • No. I don't want a global leaderboards reset nor new statistics to track. Keep everything as it is.

Votes: 761 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Quick Update! Chad has scheduled a Leaderboards Reset Discussion Q&A for October 4th at 3:00 PM PST, and is expected to last for two hours. It will likely take the place of the Staff Q&A, but if we have time left over, we'll do Staff Q&A stuff too.
Time and Date scheduler: LINK.

After 44 pages of combing through all of the discussions, I've made up with a list of Questions, Answers, and Clarifications. Please read through them, as their information may change some peoples' minds (it should at least quell some of the suggestions for improbabilities at the very least)

Questions, Answers, and Clarifications (updated 10/1/2014):
  • Who will make the final decision?
    • Chad will make the final decision, as with all large-level decisions like this. However, rather than blindly making a decision based on his perspective, he wanted to see everyone's opinions of such a plan before making the final decision.
  • When will the Leaderboards Reset Occur?
    • If Chad approves the global reset, the reset will likely occur when the network updates occur. There is currently no set date for when that should be released, but the keyword here is, "sometime soon". We will make an announcement to make everyone aware.
  • Why not create a Lifetime Leaderboards, or two sets of separate dynamic Leaderboards? Something other than Legacy Leaderboards?
    • As stated in this Front-Page Announcement, number-crunching and statistics tracking on a scale that we have requires a lot of server power and resources. In order to accommodate for two different leaderboards systems, we would need to double the cost of the statistics server expenses. In turn, we would need to increase the price of the items on our webstore, which we do not believe would be a worthwhile move. As such, we would prefer to stick with only one statistics system and run with that.
  • Why can't we just augment the current leaderboards with the features of the new leaderboards?
    • Our current leaderboards system is old, almost 2 years old. When it was created, there was no intention for advanced statistics, regional stats, or weekly stats, because those things hadn't been thought of yet. Furthermore, they were coded to a different standard than our current coding abilities. As such, it has proven to be needlessly difficult to add new features to the old leaderboards system. It was decided that starting fresh, with a brand new leaderboards system, would be a better way to implement new features that people have been asking for.
  • Why not just have Regional/Weekly/Monthly leaderboards?
    • We can do those with the new Leaderboards system! But, for the reason stated above, we would not be able to do those on our old Leaderboard system because they weren't designed to include those. As such, we need to use the new leaderboards, and that includes a global reset. So if you want Regional/Weekly/Monthly leaderboards, you must vote Yes!
  • Why not just carry all of the old statistics over to the new leaderboards?
    • Because we would be merging old statistics with some brand new ones, many of the statistics tracking would be unrepresentative. Imagine having a player with 2 years worth of wins, but only a few day's worth of another statistics. It would generally look unprofessional and goofy, and a fresh start would behave and appear much better. In addition, part of the reason we want to do a global reset is to set the record clean for new and old players alike. It's a fresh start for everyone.
  • What are these Legacy Servers everyone talks about?
    • We have no idea! There has never been any mention of any Legacy Servers, only Legacy Leaderboards. So just to clarify: there will be no sort of additional in-game servers based around this decision. Legacy Servers don't exist, but Legacy Leaderboards are a proposal.
  • Why not just give everyone a free stats reset?
    • The answer is highly related to the, "Why not just carry all of the old statistics over to the new leaderboards?" question. Giving the voluntary option of resetting your stats is different than enforcing a global one. Furthermore, it defeats the purpose of a global reset, since not everyone will be reset thus there will be no level playing field for everyone. Simply put, this would not accomplish what we set out to offer, so it is not an option.
  • What about people who purchased Stats Resets recently?
    • As stated in a previous post, those instances are unfortunately a matter of bad timing that we are not responsible for. Someone buying a stats reset prior to the announcement and our decision to do a global reset are separately-occurring events, and we have to treat them as such. Do know, however, that if a global reset is approved, users will be warned ingame of the pending reset; if the users still wish to purchase a reset even with that knowledge, they do so on their own accord.
  • If we had a Legacy Leaderboard, would we have a seperate ingame command to search up Legacy stats? Something like /LStats?
    • Sure. That shouldn't be too hard to add.
  • Can I change my vote in this poll?
    • Yes, you may. There should be a little "Change Your Vote" Button at the top of the thread. I don't think the in-game polling can be changed, however, so you cannot change that vote.
All of this information has been appended to the original post as well.

FloppehFeesh

Survivor
Reaction score
Quick Update! Chad has scheduled a Leaderboards Reset Q&A for October 4th at 3:00 PM PST, and is expected to last for two hours. It will likely take the place of the Staff Q&A, but if we have time left over, we'll do Staff Q&A stuff too.
Time and Date scheduler: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20141004T15&p1=888&ah=2

After 44 pages of combing through all of the discussions, I've made up with a list of Questions, Answers, and Clarrifications. Please read through them, as their information may change some peoples' minds (it should at least quell some of the suggestions for improbabilities at the very least)
Awesome, thanks! I read through it all, and these points just strengthen my "Yes" vote.

NotCanziano

Diamond
Reaction score
I am sure Hive's system is different than MCSG's system.
Can't be that different, all the leaderboard does is track numbers. Surely, it can't be that difficult to code, so the monthly LBs start at a certain point.

^Badly explained, but idc.

AephexHasSweges

Experienced
Reaction score
I appreciate your determination, but thats it. Your talking crap now. If you were "better" than those people in the front page you would be there, or at least be "known" up to know i never heard of you lmao.
You talked crap as well lmao you're cute
Well, if you tryharded, you would be at the top. The people at the top, had to go through the same thing. If you really want to be at the top, then spend the damn time to do it.
If the people up there spend the time to do it as well and you end up doing it just as fast, you wont pass them it'll stay the same.

Turtle

Diamond
Reaction score
Quick Update! Chad has scheduled a Leaderboards Reset Discussion Q&A for October 4th at 3:00 PM PST, and is expected to last for two hours. It will likely take the place of the Staff Q&A, but if we have time left over, we'll do Staff Q&A stuff too.
Time and Date scheduler: LINK.

After 44 pages of combing through all of the discussions, I've made up with a list of Questions, Answers, and Clarifications. Please read through them, as their information may change some peoples' minds (it should at least quell some of the suggestions for improbabilities at the very least)

All of this information has been appended to the original post as well.
For the Regional/Monthly leaderboards option, we said that because we don't want the stat reset, but at the same time let the people low on the leader boards have a chance -.-

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive have monthly leaderboards but they didn't have to reset their entire leaderboards.
Their system was derived from ours (in more ways than you know), but their leaderboards are definitely different than ours. They had the advantage of being able to develop with those features in mind from the start, something we didn't have. If we want to match them, then we need to take the necessary steps towards the new system, and that requires a global reset.

I just think it's frustrating that people have clamored for these features, such as Monthly Leaderboards, Regional Leaderboards, and potentially Clan Leaderboards, since seemingly forever. But now that we're in a position to actually add those things that will add lasting appeal to the game, no one wants to take it; they don't want to give up their past in order to build for the future. I get that people don't want to put their effort to waste, and we're offering an option to minimize that loss, but the fact is that such a sacrifice is necessary before we can build something better for us all.

For the Regional/Monthly leaderboards option, we said that because we don't want the stat reset, but at the same time let the people low on the leader boards have a chance -.-
Unfortunately, that still doesn't change the fact that we can't have Regional/Monthly leaderboards without the new system and the resets necessary. Trust us: we've tried quite often to implement those with our current system, since that would be the hypothetical best-case scenario. But the reality of the situation is that that just isn't realistic for us to accomplish.

Last edited:

CPSparklez

Platinum
Reaction score
I said no. Honestly I Personally know the struggle of getting to the 100s spot but take a look at Gravey4rd, Reven86, JoeThePro, and all those good pvpers on this server. And if you guys did add it, there will be hackers and you guys know that.

Vinyl

Diamond
Reaction score
Please, stop using the legacy counterargument.

Why do you check the leaderboards? No, why do you check the front page of the leaderboards? To see who's there. Who's ahead, who's behind. You keep coming back don't you? Why is that? You come to see what has changed. Now, when you go to the legacy leaderboard what do you see? The old winners. Do you go back anytime soon? No. You don't. The legacy leaderboard won't change, once you see what's there, you're done. The legacy leaderboard will have no impact on the community. If you see player in game are you going to care about how they used to play? No. You judge a player by their most recent statistics. So please don't use legacy as some petty excuse for us to care that you're deleting our statistics and years of work. We. Don't. Care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci