• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Community Vote: The great map voting debate 2014!

Raffle Voting

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDoesMC99

Diamond
Reaction score
I personally like this system because it gives underplayed maps a chance of being played, but it could use some modifications. I personally think that if a map has more than 50% of the votes then it should automatically be chosen, but if not, then it should be a raffle. These are my opinions that serve as a good compromise for both sides.

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
I personally like this system because it gives underplayed maps a chance of being played, but it could use some modifications. I personally think that if a map has more than 50% of the votes then it should automatically be chosen, but if not, then it should be a raffle. These are my opinions that serve as a good compromise for both sides.
I'm not a huge fan of the raffled voting system. I saw that other people pointed out that a chunk of people on the server leave if there is a big gap between maps (I've seen a map in the 80s and others in single digits, and have a single digit one win). This just leaves a lot of people annoyed in the end, and they have to look for another server to play on with maps they like.

But as a possible revision: What if, when there is more than 50% of the vote for one map, we play that one, but if they are all divided pretty evenly, (where no map has over 50%), then the raffle voting gets put into place. I feel like that way if a map someone doesn't want to win has 73% of the votes, they can just leave before the game starts, allowing someone else to join who may enjoy the map. And when the support for the maps is spread evenly everyone has a chance to play their map.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
In my opinion, you should have the voting system mark a map as winning if it obtains 75% of the votes or more. If no map has 75% of the votes, then perform the raffle draw to determine a map. I feel this would at least solve the issue where there's overwhelming support for a particular map and it isn't selected, but still allows for randomization where there is no clear majority.
I'm glad someone was thinking about the same thing that I was. The only exception with mine (posted on page 6 of this thread), was that I suggested 75% of the votes.

I considered 50%, but I felt that it wouldn't be significant enough to say, "That map wins." If the vote is split at around 60% to 40% between two maps, I'd still consider that 40% to be a fair amount of the players in the lobby (with the 60% representing about 14 players and the 40% representing about 10 players).

Once a map reaches 75%, there's really no contest in my opinion. That's a clear majority of players in the lobby (18 players).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm glad someone was thinking about the same thing that I was. The only exception with mine (posted on page 6 of this thread), was that I suggested 75% of the votes.

I considered 50%, but I felt that it wouldn't be significant enough to say, "That map wins." If the vote is split at around 60% to 40% between two maps, I'd still consider that 40% to be a fair amount of the players in the lobby (with the 60% representing about 14 players and the 40% representing about 10 players).

Once a map reaches 75%, there's really no contest in my opinion. That's a clear majority of players in the lobby (18 players).
So, why do players are angry about this, if a map reaches like the highest chance (%) in this game, but with pretty big difference, it has the highest chances to win.

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
So, why do players are angry about this, if a map reaches like the highest chance (%) in this game, but with pretty big difference, it has the highest chances to win.
I can absolutely see where this is a counter-point. I'm not for or against the voting system. For myself, I really couldn't care less what map is played.

I think a lot of the frustration with the voting system lies in those 99%-1% circumstances where the map that has 1% is selected (or situations where the vote percentage is very similar). I can see how this would be particularly frustrating for clans and people who are a little more competitive. They want maps that are a little bit more geared toward PvP; they want something that's enjoyable and has a number of routes that are tiered somewhat evenly (maps that have only 1 OP route usually aren't selected; in that case you're taking a chance).

In the community poll, you'll see that the community was more-or-less split down the middle. 49% want the raffle voting, 51% want the old voting (Source: MCGamer Polls). So I think we need to compromise on both sides. A voting "threshold", where after a certain percentage the map is automatically chosen, I feel will do that.

I don't think it should be 50% though; I see votes in-game exceeding that all the time. I'm kind of edgy on even 75%, because I see that being passed frequently as well. I think if the community was to choose this as a solution, a value would need to be settled on where raffle voting is used the majority of the time, but it's still possible to meet a certain threshold (for situations like clan battles or where there's an overwhelming amount of players in a lobby who want a particular map).

KorStonesword

Diamond
Reaction score
I can absolutely see where this is a counter-point. I'm not for or against the voting system. For myself, I really couldn't care less what map is played.

I think a lot of the frustration with the voting system lies in those 99%-1% circumstances where the map that has 1% is selected (or situations where the vote percentage is very similar). I can see how this would be particularly frustrating for clans and people who are a little more competitive. They want maps that are a little bit more geared toward PvP; they want something that's enjoyable and has a number of routes that are tiered somewhat evenly (maps that have only 1 OP route usually aren't selected; in that case you're taking a chance).

In the community poll, you'll see that the community was more-or-less split down the middle. 49% want the raffle voting, 51% want the old voting (Source: MCGamer Polls). So I think we need to compromise on both sides. A voting "threshold", where after a certain percentage the map is automatically chosen, I feel will do that.

I don't think it should be 50% though; I see votes in-game exceeding that all the time. I'm kind of edgy on even 75%, because I see that being passed frequently as well. I think if the community was to choose this as a solution, a value would need to be settled on where raffle voting is used the majority of the time, but it's still possible to meet a certain threshold (for situations like clan battles or where there's an overwhelming amount of players in a lobby who want a particular map).
I completely agree! This would basically solve like 99% of the complaints with the voting system.

Frozenarmy

Tribute
Reaction score
Even though I am banned, I would like to put an input on this issue. I see both sides, I understand that "good" players get bored playing the same map everyday while others who know a chestroute on holiday resort want to play that over and over again. While think about it this way mcsg, noobs will be the ones who are going to be buying stuff as the "pros" already have good ranks.
Think of money and you will see that keeping the noobs happy is the best option.
Imagine this: noob finally finds a game and the voting system ends up making it sg1 which he doesn't like as he is a noob and he can't find his way through the forest or trees or whatever that map has.

Niall

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Old system, and the only reason for this is I preferred having the random option as well if there was maps I didn't like in the hope I could get a different map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci