• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Final Arguments: Make 'eZ', 'Rekt', 'L2P' Punishable

NovaKaine

Career
Reaction score
/chatoff sounds like a great alternative. Personally, I want those terms to be filtered/replaced with 'ur so good, omg!' :D

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
i share the same opinion that you used to, which is that a decent-sized number of our community is at an age where they shouldn't really be offended that much by these kinds of messages... but still, i guess seeing these kinds of messages can be damaging for some people.

i personally just don't find it to be a problem for myself since i dont think it matters that much if you're bad at a minecraft minigame

RushSquash

Platinum
Reaction score
I think that it should at least be mutable. If these types of trash talk are mutable, then people won't say them. How long does it take to upload a player abuse report with a screenshot?

It's extremely easy to screenshot, and 100% easier to catch than hackers. No need to have fraps or any other recording software open, just take a screenshot and there you go, evidence.

A filter would also be useful and it would cut down on this too, but if someone decides to take a loophole, then uploading a report is quite easy for everyone.

VortalityMCSG

Survivor
Reaction score
I think that it should at least be mutable. If these types of trash talk are mutable, then people won't say them. How long does it take to upload a player abuse report with a screenshot?

It's extremely easy to screenshot, and 100% easier to catch than hackers. No need to have fraps or any other recording software open, just take a screenshot and there you go, evidence.

A filter would also be useful and it would cut down on this too, but if someone decides to take a loophole, then uploading a report is quite easy for everyone.

But how many of those will there be to mute ? From US, EU, AU, CA that's a lot..

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
More than being disrespectful, or however you may call it, this is what we call gaming slang.

Slang: a type of language that consists of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people.

We all are part of a gaming community, and because of this, it is simply stupid to filter or even punish players for something that is part of the game. Gaming slang is a part of every game.

2. Do not disrespect or harass other members:We want people in our community to feel safe and respected.

Example:

1. [User], you suck at minecraft.
  2. [User] is a hacking noob.
Harass:
  • subject to aggressive pressure or intimidation.
  • make repeated small-scale attacks on (an enemy).
Just as we are part of a gaming community, and that gaming slang is natural language, on any based context, gaming slang doesn't really enters under the harassing category.
Why? Because it is slang. It is informal, and doesn't intends to offend anyone. I think there is a difference between offending someone and someone being conceited.

Saying so, rule #20 doesn't applies and is redundant.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
More than being disrespectful, or however you may call it, this is what we call gaming slang.

Slang: a type of language that consists of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people.

We all are part of a gaming community, and because of this, it is simply stupid to filter or even punish players for something that is part of the game. Gaming slang is a part of every game.

Harass:
  • subject to aggressive pressure or intimidation.
Just as we are part of a gaming community, and that gaming slang is natural language, on any based context, gaming slang doesn't really enters under the harassing category.
Why? Because it is slang. It is informal, and doesn't intends to offend anyone. I think there is a difference between offending someone and someone being conceited.

Saying so, rule #20 doesn't applies and is redundant.
You have a good point. For example, saying "gg" isn't meant to tick people off. However, I think "eZ" is, and so is "l2p." It's meant to intimidate the player and to cause rage. To me, that's not okay.

LieutenantIV

Experienced
Reaction score
I just want to zone out of the rest of your monologue and focus on this bit here. By this logic that you've emphasized, anything else said in this game shouldn't be bannable. It's not stupid to punish players for something that's a part of the game. Hacking is a part of the game; so is swearing, racism, targeting, boosting, teaming, and literally anything else you can think of.

Also, "these terms are gaming slang" is an extremely subjective argument. Even if it were to fall under such a category, I don't think it'd matter, because you seemed to answer it for me:

Harass:
"DeformedYZ, learn to play. (You suck at Minecraft)" is a small-scale attack. No direct shots are being taken, yet the obvious intent to hurt the player is there.

Gaming slang isn't done completely due to cockiness; credit is also due in part to provoke others. As everyone else has literally said, it shouldn't provoke them, and they shouldn't make a deal out of it. However, they do take offence to it, and with the amount of complaints this problem has received, I'm surprised nothing has been put in place yet.

Lastly, to everyone who says that they don't really care because the whole thing isn't a big deal: surely, then, you wouldn't care if a system for this is put in place, right? Because it isn't a big deal?

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
I just want to zone out of the rest of your monologue and focus on this bit here. By this logic that you've emphasized, anything else said in this game shouldn't be bannable. It's not stupid to punish players for something that's a part of the game. Hacking is a part of the game; so is swearing, racism, targeting, boosting, teaming, and literally anything else you can think of.

Also, "these terms are gaming slang" is an extremely subjective argument. Even if it were to fall under such a category, I don't think it'd matter, because you seemed to answer it for me:

"DeformedYZ, learn to play. (You suck at Minecraft)" is a small-scale attack. No direct shots are being taken, yet the obvious intent to hurt the player is there.

Gaming slang isn't done completely due to cockiness; credit is also due in part to provoke others. As everyone else has literally said, it shouldn't provoke them, and they shouldn't make a deal out of it. However, they do take offence to it, and with the amount of complaints this problem has received, I'm surprised nothing has been put in place yet.

Lastly, to everyone who says that they don't really care because the whole thing isn't a big deal: surely, then, you wouldn't care if a system for this is put in place, right? Because it isn't a big deal?
The post as a whole explains why I find it stupid. As I said below that, gaming slang doesn't intends to offend anyone. Sure, I bet there are those who like to use it like such, but one way or another, no one should get offended simply because of what I had already stated.

Also, just as I had said: people are conceited. I don't consider these mini-attacks because of the already stated reasons. The post as a whole is just too linked to even divide it. It all correlates. Really, people get "offended" by such insignificant things.

To be completely honest, I just find this idea of filtering these words a loop-hole on the rules. What I mean here is that: Players impose this "disrespect", this "harassment" over something that is natural and doesn't intends to offend anyone. In fact, anyone who felt "harassed" could impose this rule and get someone banned for not even harassing someone.

Believe me, I have dealt with this before. I actually even got banned for "imposing harassment" to one of my best friends at the time. In fact, we both were on the same teamspeak channel, and the moderator was in that teamspeak channel too. The moderator clearly knew that she didn't felt harassed.

With what I already said, I think that banning or just getting someone in trouble for using gaming slang is a big thing. You're basically instilling your belief of these terms to everyone. I very well abide to this phrase: If you don't like it, ignore it.

VortalityMCSG

Survivor
Reaction score
Why are we debating in simple words
.. It shouldn't hurt anyone in the first place, it's a game

Reactions: Fox

LieutenantIV

Experienced
Reaction score
The post as a whole explains why I find it stupid. As I said below that, gaming slang doesn't intends to offend anyone. Sure, I bet there are those who like to use it like such, but one way or another, no one should get offended simply because of what I had already stated.
Perhaps the gaming slang doesn't intend to offend anyone, but the people using it have the intent to belittle other's playing ability, or their character as a whole.

Words and context can easily be flexed and bended to give different connotations to different people; different strokes for different folks, if you will. While you may not necessarily take offence to it, I think it's clear by this point that people apparently do. Believe me, I share the exact same view as you and most others that this shouldn't be a big issue, but it is. It can't be helped because the community is so diverse and everyone views everything differently. You have to cater to the majority (whether or not the majority is concerned about the issue, though, is something only the administration could answer.)

Also, just as I had said: people are conceited. I don't consider these mini-attacks because of the already stated reasons.
I never said that conceitedness wasn't a factor - I only said that it shares credit with the attempt to stir an unnecessary reaction.

To be completely honest, I just find this idea of filtering these words a loop-hole on the rules. What I mean here is that: Players impose this "disrespect", this "harassment" over something that is natural and doesn't intends to offend anyone. In fact, anyone who felt "harassed" could impose this rule and get someone banned for not even harassing someone.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, so I'll wait for you to clarify. However, I believe you're saying that players who are offended by this could get others banned from it as a result...?

With what I already said, I think that banning or just getting someone in trouble for using gaming slang is a big thing. You're basically instilling your belief of these terms to everyone. I very well abide to this phrase: If you don't like it, ignore it.
And yes, this is something I can definitely agree with. The whole argument, in general, is entirely subjective... there really is no right-or-wrong regarding whether these terms are bad or not. No doubt they're cocky, unnecessary shots at someone, but whether it's actually worth punishing a player over is subjective.

However, some people simply can't ignore it. Whether it's a mental function or something entirely irrelevant, some people just find that they cannot ignore these subtle digs. And it's really not fair to force them to have to re-structure their thinking or views just to satisfy a problem that can be solved in a much better way.

Truthfully, I do look forward to this talk regarding this topic Col_StaR is organizing. I'd hope to attend as a participant, but I'd be fine with even watching. It'll definitely be great to listen to a variety of people speak and present new information. It's a date I'll mark on my calender.

Metalclaw

Survivor
Reaction score
you know, I almost made this topic the reason I quit, but that is quite a stupid reason to quit over words.
I mean I HATED those words thrown at me even jokingly.

Remember that nursery rhyme: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words hurt less." Complete nonsense! Words can leave emotional scars on people words like "Downy" "Scrub" "L2P" ect ect, people may not know but if you were to call someone that and they took that seriously then they should stop playing then right? No! It determines how emotionally damaged the person is. Calling someone these names can do alot of damage and can make them do things they wouldn't normally do.

I DESPISED the word "Downy" just because I have 3 cousins who have down syndrome, so that term made me tick alot, but still A MENTAL DISEASE IS NOT SOMETHING TO JOKE ABOUT!

I'm sorry about my negative or even aggressive behavior right there but it's really true actually... It is something they cannot fix or even control, so thinking that you can just call people by these names is acceptable is not how things work in real life, this is cyber bullying.... I rarely get bullied anymore (mainly cause I'm never on my computer as much anymore) so when I come on and see that this community has WORSENED it makes me wonder why they haven't banned these words yet. People don't just have the right to bully someone over an internet key word INTERNET game.

Thank you, If you can not read this message clearly, then don't bother.

Bye.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci