• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Give People A Second Chance to Apply for Mod if they've been Banned for Hacking.

Tryhard_Batman

Diamond
Reaction score
No matter what the case, the rules are the rules. I understand that you now acknowledge the fact that you broke the rules; and you regret doing so. Not being able to apply for mod is a punishment of hacking. Although you have learned from your past actions; the consequence can't just be lifted.

The_Waze

Platinum
Reaction score
I also agree, that Brandon said. We are all humans. We do all wrong, discussions, sometimes. Even though, you hacked for like 2 years ago, that doesn't mean that you will destroy the server. In my opinion, its false. If you have hacked before, I know, its wrong. But think if people got banned for nothing? And they chance are out of the mind. If you hacked, you will probably know some things, with it. Like that normally players, doesn't know. So people can report them..

Its another thing, if you like got banned today, and applied for mod some weeks, after you should not get a chance to get Mod. Brandon have probably, thinked that hacking is wrong. If we loves the server, I dont think he would destroy..

Thanks for me.. Please dont flame-war this post. Please comment what u think.

Last edited:

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
In my honest opinion, somebody who has been banned for hacking before shouldn't get the second chance. Mods say it's okay for a second chance to play the servers, but not for mod, for a reason. A moderator could do way more damage.

Somebody who has hacked before will be less predictable for the mods. It doesn't matter if the account was hacked, or if a brother got on it, nothing like that... If those actions happened on their account, who knows what kind of mistakes they could make as a staff member. Their brother could access it again, it could be hacked again...If I was running a server, I would never let somebody who did something like that on my staff. It shows unpredictable behavior fueled by who-knows-what. Certainly, there are plenty of people out there who are better than that: They wouldn't ever make those kinds of mistakes again, it was a one time thing, but there is no way to tell those people apart from the good apples.

It's the same argument that was made for younger players a long time ago. Very, very few 13 year olds ever got staff, and of the 13 year old staff members there were around those times, while they weren't bad, (in fact we had a few great ones) they often were only just passing expectations. (Again, exceptions. We had some great ones as well.) In the end, it was just too much work to pick out the good apples in the bunch, thus why MCSG still gets so, so few.

Even in an example used in this thread, where somebody said they got banned for mini-map a long time ago when a mod said it was okay...Honestly, if I was in the decision making area of it, I'd be taking note of the fact that the rules, where it has always been said in black in white, clearly state that's not okay to use mini-maps of any sort. That should have been the first resource used to determine if it was okay.

But let me be completely honest here: There has been some ex-hackers on staff before. The difference? I'm talking about ones who were never caught. Let me elaborate: By MCSG's definition, I was one for a short period of time. When I first joined, I never thought I'd stick around, and I also knew they couldn't catch players using mini-map or radar. I happened to have one on my client for other Minecraft purposes...and I couldn't help myself but use it.
The moment I realized I was here to stay for a while, though, I removed it. I had won no more than maybe 10-15 games with it, and ever since, I have been completely clean. In fact, I became a long-time staff member. I avoided causing trouble as much as possible, and helped out as much as I could. I wouldn't say I was a bad staff member, and I came out of staff just as clean as I came in.

I understand perfectly well that there are ex-hackers out there with pure intentions, but honestly, picking out the good apples in the bunch isn't worth the time. I got lucky because I was never caught during my short period, and that was to the benefit of everyone. I understand the notion of joining and not thinking you will stay, but...it just isn't worth it to pick those people out. I wouldn't even have picked myself if I had been banned in that period.

(Note to staff reading this: My old period of "not being clean" was a very brief moment a long time ago. I have already openly admitted this to some of the upper staff, including ex-admins SixZoSeven and Aeruner, among others. There is no need to make a big deal out of this: They know.)

(Note to regular users: I do not, by any means, encourage the act of hacking for any period of time. I'm no more proud of that period than any of you who have been banned before are. I wouldn't have done it if I could go back now and prevent it.)

Sam_Hodgson

Diamond
Reaction score
I do agree but only if the ban was over 6 months ago and a good explanation

Tryhard_Batman

Diamond
Reaction score
In my honest opinion, somebody who has been banned for hacking before shouldn't get the second chance. Mods say it's okay for a second chance to play the servers, but not for mod, for a reason. A moderator could do way more damage.

Somebody who has hacked before will be less predictable for the mods. It doesn't matter if the account was hacked, or if a brother got on it, nothing like that... If those actions happened on their account, who knows what kind of mistakes they could make as a staff member. Their brother could access it again, it could be hacked again...If I was running a server, I would never let somebody who did something like that on my staff. It shows unpredictable behavior fueled by who-knows-what. Certainly, there are plenty of people out there who are better than that: They wouldn't ever make those kinds of mistakes again, it was a one time thing, but there is no way to tell those people apart from the good apples.

It's the same argument that was made for younger players a long time ago. Very, very few 13 year olds ever got staff, and of the 13 year old staff members there were around those times, while they weren't bad, (in fact we had a few great ones) they often were only just passing expectations. (Again, exceptions. We had some great ones as well.) In the end, it was just too much work to pick out the good apples in the bunch, thus why MCSG still gets so, so few.

Even in an example used in this thread, where somebody said they got banned for mini-map a long time ago when a mod said it was okay...Honestly, if I was in the decision making area of it, I'd be taking note of the fact that the rules, where it has always been said in black in white, clearly state that's not okay to use mini-maps of any sort. That should have been the first resource used to determine if it was okay.

But let me be completely honest here: There has been some ex-hackers on staff before. The difference? I'm talking about ones who were never caught. Let me elaborate: By MCSG's definition, I was one for a short period of time. When I first joined, I never thought I'd stick around, and I also knew they couldn't catch players using mini-map or radar. I happened to have one on my client for other Minecraft purposes...and I couldn't help myself but use it.
The moment I realized I was here to stay for a while, though, I removed it. I had won no more than maybe 10-15 games with it, and ever since, I have been completely clean. In fact, I became a long-time staff member. I avoided causing trouble as much as possible, and helped out as much as I could. I wouldn't say I was a bad staff member, and I came out of staff just as clean as I came in.

I understand perfectly well that there are ex-hackers out there with pure intentions, but honestly, picking out the good apples in the bunch isn't worth the time. I got lucky because I was never caught during my short period, and that was to the benefit of everyone. I understand the notion of joining and not thinking you will stay, but...it just isn't worth it to pick those people out. I wouldn't even have picked myself if I had been banned in that period.

(Note to staff reading this: My old period of "not being clean" was a very brief moment a long time ago. I have already openly admitted this to some of the upper staff, including ex-admins SixZoSeven and Aeruner, among others. There is no need to make a big deal out of this: They know.)

(Note to regular users: I do not, by any means, encourage the act of hacking for any period of time. I'm no more proud of that period than any of you who have been banned before are. I wouldn't have done it if I could go back now and prevent it.)
This essay is magical. Amen,

gizmobrick

Experienced
Reaction score
No if you were hacking you should not be allowed to apply for mod. Moderators try to catch and ban hackers and it doesnt make much sense if a hacker is a mod. If you are old enough to apply for mod you must be old enough to know right from wrong and you should know the rules and understand what happens to people who hack. People may be sorry for what they have done but other people that have never hacked should be given mod over a player who has. If you cannot follow the rules you should not be given the responsibilities to enforce them. That is just my opinion.
A hacker or someone who has hacked in the past? In my opinion it makes no sense to say that Brandon6895 (and everyone else that has hacked before) shouldn't become a moderator because of something they did in the past. Like Brandon6895 said before, he totally regrets that he hacked. In fact, I think he will be less likely to hack in the future because of just how much he has learned from his mistake. Is this not the reason why we only ban hackers for a week instead of forever? I don't like it when people hack, but with this debate (if you will) I am by no means siding with the hackers. Im siding with the people who want the best for our community, and would rather see the same thing that happened to them happen the the person they banned. I think that if the person had been banned within the last month (could be changed) then they will not be able to apply for mod. However, if they were banned (lets say over a year ago) then the could still apply for mod. Just my opinion, but I feel its fair.

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Good suggestion but for now this will not happen. It won't even happen with people who were banned for like 24 hours for something like by-passing filter

The_Waze

Platinum
Reaction score
Guys, if you got banned for hacking, or something else, it can maybe be false. I know someone who got banned for NOTHING. Then if he applys for Mod, the chanses are 0.

I_love_desk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score

That is a really good read and in my opinion it just goes to shows why people should be given a second chance. When you first join a server and are maybe a bit shady about the rules, or don't really understand the implications of your actions, a lot of people will make mistakes. For example jonnysurvives has his own story on how he got banned which doesn't even have to do with him knowing he could get away with something - he was even caught reporting a hacker.

And then there's you - you knowingly did something against the rules (not telling you off or anything) and while I wasn't active while you were a mod I've heard that you were one of the best mods around. People change for the better.

On your point about picking the 'good apples', I really don't think it's that difficult to tell who really cares about the community. If someeone has made a ton of forum posts and become quite active in the community since being banned, there's a pretty obvious difference to someone who is just applying because they're power hungry.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Don't get sassy please. I did read it, even so, how do we know for sure that they won't do it again? We can't take someone's word for it. Players who join our severs are subject to know and understand our rules.
You trust all mods on their word, none of them are signed to a contract. :p

mathijs3011

Platinum
Reaction score
Omg i agree 100%, when i started mcsg i was banned because i had an 'offencive' skin or something like that. Now i can't apply anymore :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci