• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Has Ping Warped Our PvP Mindset?

What matters most in a fight?

• Total voters

Zado

Platinum
Reaction score
Ping is diffrent because on hive ping matters...on mcsg as long as 300 and below its good enough.

mathijs3011

Platinum
Reaction score
I agree, on EU i have 30 ping and on US 200. But it's easier to sword pvp on US for me. I don't know why.

KorStonesword

Diamond
Reaction score
Yeah I agree that ping isn't a good excuse, especially considering how uncontrollable that is. However, I do think it has a very large impact on how well you do. For instance, generally I win about 1/3 of my games, (not so much anymore, I've gotten rusty from not playing much) and I do fairly well at PvP. One day however I was playing and for no reason whatsoever my internet connection was incredibly great, when usually it's decent at best. I got countless amazing combos, was able to hit people from farther away than I usually would be able to (often due to lag, players 'ghost' for me and appear to be at a slightly different location that they appear to be, thus making it hard to hit them during chases unless I'm pretty close.) I was accused of having 'op ping' and to be honest, I couldn't disagree. This is a problem that until we've invented the perfect internet used by everyone will never have a solution, but it's indisputable it does make a large difference.

ThisJKid

Diamond
Reaction score
Contributing factors to basic SG success:
  • Loot e.g. Better Armour
  • PVP Ability e.g. MLG Bow Skillz
  • Using Surroundings e.g. Lower Ground
  • Tactics e.g. Leading a team towards another team
  • Ping e.g. thingy182 Artic
In all seriousness though, ping isn't everything when it comes to PVP but to believe that it is insignificant is foolish. If someone has the ability to hit you a lot earlier than you can hit them, they have the natural advantage of being able to achieve combos with greater ease. This can be easily compensated for by means of using a fishing rod to stun them, keeping them at a distance with a bow, strafing away from their hits and so on.

S

Sepyz

When getting a sword combo, it appears that you are hitting from further away.
Many people perceive this as their opponent having a ping advantage.
Let me explain something to everyone:
Having lower ping does not decrease your hit range, it simply increases the amount of time that it takes for the hits to register.
Having lower ping can give you an advantage, but only a very slight one. Try resorting to secondaries if you have high ping.

Sixorr

Diamond
Reaction score
Ping is hardly even relevant on MCSG... Play on badlion or OCN if you wanna see where ping matters.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Honestly, the difference between 90ms and 50ms is hardly noticeable
Remember this is a difference of 40ms, while it is a slight advantage, it doesn't really effect much

Now playing on a diff server where you get 150ms, and you're fighting against a guy with 20ms, thats a difference of 130ms, which I would call noticeable

Disclaimer: Ping does not effect your reach (This is what the hackers want you to think), Ive tried this many times. Ping is how fast your hits register after you click, or do anything else, also known as "Latency"

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Honestly, the difference between 90ms and 50ms is hardly noticeable
Remember this is a difference of 40ms, while it is a slight advantage, it doesn't really effect much

Now playing on a diff server where you get 150ms, and you're fighting against a guy with 20ms, thats a difference of 130ms, which I would call noticeable

Disclaimer: Ping does not effect your reach (This is what the hackers want you to think), Ive tried this many times. Ping is how fast your hits register after you click, or do anything else, also known as "Latency"
Latency can create the illusion of higher reach by giving places different images of where they are. In the server, the players are in the correct position. However, players with higher ping have a delayed view of where they, while players with lower ping have a more accurate view. The player with low ping will get legitimate hits, but the screen of the higher ping player will display a delayed visual while they still take damage they should.

Just a supplementary explanation to your post.

gizmobrick

Experienced
Reaction score
I think the whole subject on ping "abuse" has turned into an excuse for loosing in a fight. There are some situations, however, where a player with significantly better/worse ping may be at somewhat of a disadvantage/advantage over a specific player. These days its hard to even mention the word "ping" in a sentence right after a fight. It is kind of annoying, however, because I'm sure people have lost in fights because of worse ping, and they cannot even mention their point without being looked down upon (myself included).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci