• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Has Ping Warped Our PvP Mindset?

What matters most in a fight?

• Total voters

Darby100

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
The worst part is that people take this "ping abuse" so seriously! I mean, sure, there's no use wishing for the good ol' days, but I do feel that they were much more enjoyable. For me at least.

What I find today is that with all the competitiveness surrounding this video game, and that's exactly what is it people, the fun is taken out of something that wasn't designed for this ridiculous... ugh, urinating contest?... that players these days take part in.

No, Mister, I do not care if you can "Shrek me", or if you ping is just too OP for your skill to have any part. C'mon, just shut the hell up, play the game, and get over it. It's a game, not real life.

Rant over.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
In most games that involve extreme accuracy (like CS:GO), good ping is necessary to actually be able to play since you die in one hit usually. In Minecraft, however, you can survive and even thrive with 'bad' ping. Mainly because hit detection still picks up through lag (which applies for people with bad or good ping). You can survive many hits on most occasions, so having poor ping is okay and functional. Having good ping just makes it so your reactions are spot on. A leveled 'pingfield' (playfield) is really not achievable without communist internet. There are so many providers in different locations that it's basically impossible for all ping to be the same.

People just don't like losing, and slight differences like that are always chosen before the everlasting scapegoat of 'HACKER!!!1!!'
"Communist Internet" sounds really funny to me XD

In Soviet Internet, cats watch you!

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
I'll admit I used to be one of those people who thought that everything depended on your ping, and how nice your keyboard, mouse, and pc were. My mind has changed somewhat. I generally consider myself to be the worst of the worst when it comes to sword PvP, and I am only mediocre at bow and fns. I have no skill whatsoever when it comes to the fishing rod.

My perspective changed one day I was playing on Excavation Zero and I was running away from corn when I saw a guy with full iron and a stone sword wreaking havoc on a little platform near corn. I figured I could get a clean-up, which was risky considering I had only a wood axe and 2 armor bars, but I went for it anyway. I jumped on the platform right as he killed the undergeared guy he was fighting and I engaged him. Instead of jumping and clicking fast in a slow, circular motion like I usually do, I decided to try something new. I didn't jump at all and moved in and out of him in rapid circles and switchbacks. I got around nine or ten hits on him while he only got two. I killed him! This was the point in my career when I stopped making excuses as to why I would always, and started making ways that I could win.

I started to use the bow in a new way. Instead of shooting as quickly as possible, I would wait a fraction of a second for them to change directions, and then I would take my shot. I miss far less nowadays. With fns I have learned to do it earlier when charging people, and later when being chased. With fishing rod... well... I still suck, but I'll work on that. For strategy in general, I have taken a more aggressive approach to the beginning of the game, making to target and wipe out teams and good players, and I always skip corn. I have also began playing on servers 1-50 more, and I have found that they are actually a little easier to win on than servers 100-150. (Which is what I have always done.)

If you start looking at how you can win, instead of what is stopping you from winning, you will come to get better regardless of how bad your equipment is. When I came back around two months ago, I was winning 3-5 of the 50 games on my statistic page. Now I am winning 10 or more, but my equipment is the same. I still don't think I could ever get to the point where I am winning 30-40% of games with my equipment. My keyboard is hard to press the keys on, my mouse is bulky and inprecise, (can't reel in the fishing rod) and my fps are mediocre, (Though with optifine I get a slight boost, that is at the expense of not being able to play Valleyside University, Moonbase 9, Turbulence, Lobby Games, Eye of Horus, and Icarus. For some reason optifine makes those maps have unplayable at 10-20 fps.) Finally, I get 170 ping, with lag spikes of several hundred ping a couple times a minute. I don't focus on the things that are unfortunate though, I focus on what I can do.

While you can do a fair amount with bad equipment and ping, it does severely limit your abilities in ways you can't imagine. Those of you with good ping can't imagine what it is like to start playing this game on an old clunky computer until you have. Most of your deaths are a mystery. You just saw a person approach and then you were dead. You don't know that he strafed you, or got critical hits, you just know you're dead. You may take ages to come to realize when someone is about to use fns, or when someone has good or bad ping. For me, it took me hundreds of games for me to even come to a realization that I was at a disadvantage to most players, and by that time, I had still learned nothing about PvP and I had 500 losses. On the other hand, someone with good ping will learn to recognize dangers and tactics very early on, because of the swift correlation that deaths had with certain behaviors. When I first saw someone swinging their fishing rod on land, I wanted to say, "Dude, it doesn't do damage." A person with high fps and ping would instead say "He used the fishing rod to get an extra knockback on me." People don't realize that ping affects learning.

Though you can do a lot with 200+ ping, you will not win every fight. It is like the fact that no woman has ever ran a four minute mile. Though women can be very fast runners, their genetics are not as geared toward long-distance running, and men hold the record for the fastest mile, and marathon. Bad ping will always be a disadvantage.

D

Damien // Teepwn

a·buse
[v. uh-byooz; n. uh-byoos] Show IPA
verb (used with object), a·bused, a·bus·ing.
to use wrongly or improperly; misuse: to abuse one's authority.
to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way: to abuse a horse; to abuse one's eyesight.
to speak insultingly, harshly, and unjustly to or about; revile; malign.
to commit sexual assault upon.
Obsolete . to deceive or mislead.

"Ping abuse" falls under none of these.

I agree and disagree, I don't believe in ping abuse as its a 99% uncontrollable variable. I do however, believe that connection plays a big part in PvP, not just in the ways of reach where everyone acuses "pING abu53rrrrrr n00b" but in other ways too.

Quoted from another post of mine:
TenaciousPony said:
the delayed position. This is what I believe is making people think lower ping, more range.

Let me give an example: x is getting 200ms and y is getting 20ms. y is chasing x. On x's screen, he's 6-7 blocks ahead of y, out of range. But because of his 200ms delay, the server has only registered his position 1-2 blocks where x is client side. On y's screen, because of minimal delay, entity position is near accurate. x is shown 4-5 blocks ahead of y and is on range.
The basis of this is about higher ping = delayed position = less reach. This is why people think that better ping allows you to have more reach when infact it doesn't (it's only whilst people are moving it looks like it, get a friend to stand still and you stand still 4-5 blocks away from them whilst getting bad connection, you'll be able to hit them.", however it 100% does give you more accurate positioning.

Another benefit of a low ping is (near) instant registers. What I mean is when you place an FnS, it's instantly there, when you cast your rod, it's instantly casted, etc. If you constantly play with a high ping you can account for these pretty easily by performing the action 0.5-1.5 seconds before depending how bad connection you're getting. However, if your ping changes due to lots of people on the internet at once, it can be somewhat frustrating. There are other things too, but it would take much too long to list.

I've been lucky enough to go to France on a holiday (completely irrelevant, I know) and here I get 40ms to EU at my Uncle's house whereas at my house I get 75ms to AU. Most people will say there's no difference, I can guarantee that this is false however it may as well be false because the difference is minute. I've noticed that I get 0.1-0.5 blocks better "reach" because of the TINY difference in delay time. Nothing else is really different as 75ms is already pretty much instant.

Now, I bet you're thinking: "75ms is still good, you don't know what it's like with 200ish ping/4-bar". Well, I actually do. At my Uncle's place, there's no TV aerial so the TV runs off of the internet. The TV is closer to the internet than this computer so it raises my connection to an unstable 50-350ms. Now, this is extremely difficult to play with, for pretty obvious reasons. It's completely unpredictable and virtually impossible to account for lag.

I have also played games on US with a stable 180-190ms and this isn't bad. Once you adjust your playstyle to your connection it becomes substantially easier. Sure, there could be a really good players with 30ms who keeps comboing you, but just try light him of fire and go for a strafe. If he has really good sword accuracy and you can't even get close enough to hit him, just run. You can always chokepoint it up. ;)

TL;DR: Good pings helps but isn't everything, if you play strategic you can still beat those who sexually assault there pin-- I mean... What? ;)

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mint_Sibs

District 13
Reaction score
Well honestly sometimes the range is a bit too much, but you need to adapt your play style to it. Like TheDreamDude has better ping than me but I still won 20-17 ezpz get good who's the rod king now. All rounder my ass.
Wut?

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
a·buse
[v. uh-byooz; n. uh-byoos] Show IPA
verb (used with object), a·bused, a·bus·ing.
to use wrongly or improperly; misuse: to abuse one's authority.
to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way: to abuse a horse; to abuse one's eyesight.
to speak insultingly, harshly, and unjustly to or about; revile; malign.
to commit sexual assault upon.
Obsolete . to deceive or mislead.

"Ping abuse" falls under none of these.

I agree and disagree, I don't believe in ping abuse as its a 99% uncontrollable variable. I do however, believe that connection plays a big part in PvP, not just in the ways of reach where everyone acuses "pING abu53rrrrrr n00b" but in other ways too.

Quoted from another post of mine:

The basis of this is about higher ping = delayed position = less reach. This is why people think that better ping allows you to have more reach when infact it doesn't (it's only whilst people are moving it looks like it, get a friend to stand still and you stand still 4-5 blocks away from them whilst getting bad connection, you'll be able to hit them.", however it 100% does give you more accurate positioning.

Another benefit of a low ping is (near) instant registers. What I mean is when you place an FnS, it's instantly there, when you cast your rod, it's instantly casted, etc. If you constantly play with a high ping you can account for these pretty easily by performing the action 0.5-1.5 seconds before depending how bad connection you're getting. However, if your ping changes due to lots of people on the internet at once, it can be somewhat frustrating. There are other things too, but it would take much too long to list.

I've been lucky enough to go to France on a holiday (completely irrelevant, I know) and here I get 40ms to EU at my Uncle's house whereas at my house I get 75ms to AU. Most people will say there's no difference, I can guarantee that this is false however it may as well be false because the difference is minute. I've noticed that I get 0.1-0.5 blocks better "reach" because of the TINY difference in delay time. Nothing else is really different as 75ms is already pretty much instant.

Now, I bet you're thinking: "75ms is still good, you don't know what it's like with 200ish ping/4-bar". Well, I actually do. At my Uncle's place, there's no TV aerial so the TV runs off of the internet. The TV is closer to the internet than this computer so it raises my connection to an unstable 50-350ms. Now, this is extremely difficult to play with, for pretty obvious reasons. It's completely unpredictable and virtually impossible to account for lag.

I have also played games on US with a stable 180-190ms and this isn't bad. Once you adjust your playstyle to your connection it becomes substantially easier. Sure, there could be a really good players with 30ms who keeps comboing you, but just try light him of fire and go for a strafe. If he has really good sword accuracy and you can't even get close enough to hit him, just run. You can always chokepoint it up. ;)

TL;DR: Good pings helps but isn't everything, if you play strategic you can still beat those would sexually assault there pin-- I mean... What? ;)

Just my 2 cents anyway.
I agree to this, ping does definitely make a difference, I was just trying to point out that skill should be the main focus. I am lucky enough to have a lot of family in California which is near the US Network host, and I am visiting them right now actually. I get 50 ping here in California, as opposed to 85-90 at home. There isn't much of a difference that is noticable however, but this could be the fact that the computer I am using here in Cali isn't very good. Reaction times are key, and adjusting to your ping is definitely the best way to go.

RathaYatra

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
you have nothing too blame except yourself for your lack of skill. I used too have 300-2000 ping and I could still take down really good players it makes bow unusable because of the delay but its doable.

OhFancy

District 13
Reaction score
Ping counts a lot more now than it used to,
say your ping was 8 and you are versing someone with at ping of 60, it is too easy to obtain combos and quite frankly, beat them. On the other hand if you have a ping of 300 to that of a 60 ping user, it is also an advantage as they can't hit you as much as they would like with your un-playable ping.

I get 150ms to AU, and after every fight, I get told that I have an OP ms. The word 'ping' is tossed around as a reason to being beaten now, "Oh, that ping abuse" "ping abuser" "only because of your ping" "if my ping was better I would have wrecked you". Why can't people say 'good fight' or 'Wow! You are a really good player! gg!" anymore, but hey, I guess that's just the community nowadays. :/

7zu

Platinum
Reaction score
Well honestly sometimes the range is a bit too much, but you need to adapt your play style to it. Like TheDreamDude has better ping than me but I still won 20-17 ezpz get good who's the rod king now. All rounder my ass.
Wut?
Lmfao, you were the one who was crying of that smack i gave you ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci