• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Has the time come for MCSG V3?

Should V3 happen?

• Yes, it's time for a change

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • No, the plugin is great the way it is

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I think this is absolutely spot on. I've been wanting to say something similar for a while how but just haven't known how to say it. I agree and glad there is support to back this! c:

Wyz

Diamond
Reaction score
I also thought that maybe it would be ok to remove iron boots from chests COMPLETELY when the update happens, and add chain/gold boots as a rare item to tier 1's as they offer the same protection as leather boots.

Iron's amount in chests in my opinion is good as is, and you often have enough to craft them iron boots ;3

Reaction score
Be prepared for a wall of text, although I’ve tried to keep this as interesting as possible.

MCSG V2 was introduced in February 2013, and has since become one of the most iconic Survival Games plugins around. It fixed many of the problems which were seen to be harming V1 and transformed the way SG worked on this server, creating a fresh new experience for players who had been playing for a while. It has served us for nearly 18 months now, and while it has had some criticism, the overwhelming majority would now agree that it has served the server brilliantly.

However, I believe it is time for a change. We have already tried it once; in September, a ‘V3’ test system was introduced, and yet in what is testament to MCG listening to its community, when people disagreed with the change, it was withdrawn, and rightfully so; the system was flawed. I personally think that we as a community should now start working on a system which can successfully replace V2.

Why?

There are a few reasons for which I believe V3 would help the server. Firstly, I think the server needs something new; especially for old time players, playing the exact same system for a long time can become boring, and however good a game is it can never stay interesting forever. V2 is now 18 months old, which feels like a very long time; in fact the vast majority of active players will have only ever played on V2.

Furthermore, V2 is in no way perfect; of course, any SG plugin will have its flaws, but I believe that while V2 is excellent, there are a lot of flaws which could still be ironed out to make the game more interesting and its tactics more complex. This will be explained in far more detail later.

What to change?

Currently, I believe that one of the big problems with the plugin is that it is far too easy to get stacked out of your mind with so many secondaries that there is no use trying to spare them, thus nullifying a lot of tactical play. Here I’m going to list ways I think the introduction of V3 could change that, as well as a few other flaws.

Iron armour

This has been one of the primary criticisms of V2. It wouldn’t really be an MCSG game nowadays without at least 2 people in full iron – I agree this has to change. The likelihood of getting iron armour, and possibly chain armour too, in tier 2s, needs to be reduced, as it is simply too easy; even a 2 tier 2 route is often enough for 7+ armour bars. jonnysurvives suggested a system in which there is a maximum of 2 armour pieces in a tier 2, and a maximum of 1 piece of iron armour; personally I’m not a fan of this since it takes a tiny bit too much luck out of the game. It should still be possible to get ridiculous armour from a single tier 2, but I shouldn’t be expecting 6+ armour bars from each tier 2. However, jonny has the right idea; tier 2 armour needs to be nerfed.

Arrows

Currently it’s also far too easy to get arrows. In most games that I do well in, by the time it gets to deathmatch, I have 40+ arrows. At this point it’s pretty much like having an infinity bow, and it’s pointless rationing your arrows; most people just bowspam every fight once they have that many. One thing I prefer in the plugin of that other server is the fact that you really need to decide when and when not to use your arrows since they are rarer.
(Sidenote: it is way too easy to craft arrows. There need to be fewer feathers especially. Those things are useless and just clutter up your inventory; the stack size you get should be 1 or 2 and not 5.)

Food

Here’s one which really grinds my gears. There are so many different types of food in V2. What is the point? So many of them are very similar to each other.

Currently we have (off the top of my head): Raw Chicken, Cookies, Melons, Raw Fish, Raw Porkchop, Raw Beef, Bread, Pumpkin Pie, Potatoes, Apples, Carrots, Cooked Chicken, Steak, Cooked Porkchop, Golden Carrot, Mushroom Stew, and Golden Apples (+cake, but that barely counts). That is 17 different types of food. Having that many is pointless; it clutters up your inventory and is a pain.

I think we should add cake as a rare item in tier 2s (since it adds something interesting to the game), possibly add stacks of 2 of wheat, but remove:
-Raw Chicken: no-one eats it
-Cookies: very similar to melons, don’t add anything
-Raw Fish: Very similar to melons, don’t add anything, their cooked counterparts aren’t even in the game
-Pumpkin Pie: Similar to bread, nothing special
-Possibly remove either porkchops or beef since they are effectively the same?
-Remove either potatoes or mushroom stew since they restore the same hunger and same saturation

This would leave us with 10/11 food items. This is slightly less cluttered, and there is something unique to each, but still enough that there is variety imo. I also believe that the amount of food you get should be cut slightly – we shouldn’t be starving each game, but it’s very rare nowadays to see someone not have enough food to comfortably be eating high saturation food all game. Making it a bit more difficult makes it far more interesting!

Tier 1s

So much of the game in V2 relies on whether you got a good route or not. Of course, this should matter greatly; however, on most maps nowadays if you do not get a single tier 2 then you are quite simply screwed. Anyone with 3 ½ armour bars doesn’t stand a chance against someone with 7+. Tier 1s are overpowered on h***, and we shouldn’t add chain armour, but as jonnysurvives said, I believe gold items should be made a very rare item in tier 1s, so that you actually have a chance of killing someone and winning without getting a tier 2.

That is all for now, since this is 1000 words. To conclude, I really believe that a new plugin, coded with reference to the community, would benefit MCG. Thanks for reading and please leave your opinion!

*thanks to Wyz_Guy for the idea, and jonnysurvives for some of the logistics.
I agree too. Sometimes you may find full iron in 1 tier 2 chest, which is pretty op. I agree mostly with what you say. These are some pretty good ideas.

Miko_

Diamond
Reaction score
You don't know how much I agree with food. I'm always running around with a mobile grocery store. I agree with less iron armour in Tier 2's, but I'm kinda meh on the gold armour in Tier 1's.

Since the Tier 3's were a failure, why not have some sort of utility chests? Basically, chests which only contain crafting materials. As rare as Tier 2's. And remove materials from any other chest. You would have to ration. You wouldn't see everyone running around with 20 arrows and a diamond sword. One or the other. This would make the game more risky, because you will need to use a crafting table a lot.

Reaction score
You don't know how much I agree with food. I'm always running around with a mobile grocery store. I agree with less iron armour in Tier 2's, but I'm kinda meh on the gold armour in Tier 1's.

Since the Tier 3's were a failure, why not have some sort of utility chests? Basically, chests which only contain crafting materials. As rare as Tier 2's. And remove materials from any other chest. You would have to ration. You wouldn't see everyone running around with 20 arrows and a diamond sword. One or the other. This would make the game more risky, because you will need to use a crafting table a lot.
Rofl, couldn't say it better. Even in Hungry Hills that I play sometimes with w0wmonkey , we are supermarkets.

xxSPUxx

Platinum
Reaction score
Be prepared for a wall of text, although I’ve tried to keep this as interesting as possible.

MCSG V2 was introduced in February 2013, and has since become one of the most iconic Survival Games plugins around. It fixed many of the problems which were seen to be harming V1 and transformed the way SG worked on this server, creating a fresh new experience for players who had been playing for a while. It has served us for nearly 18 months now, and while it has had some criticism, the overwhelming majority would now agree that it has served the server brilliantly.

However, I believe it is time for a change. We have already tried it once; in September, a ‘V3’ test system was introduced, and yet in what is testament to MCG listening to its community, when people disagreed with the change, it was withdrawn, and rightfully so; the system was flawed. I personally think that we as a community should now start working on a system which can successfully replace V2.

Why?

There are a few reasons for which I believe V3 would help the server. Firstly, I think the server needs something new; especially for old time players, playing the exact same system for a long time can become boring, and however good a game is it can never stay interesting forever. V2 is now 18 months old, which feels like a very long time; in fact the vast majority of active players will have only ever played on V2.

Furthermore, V2 is in no way perfect; of course, any SG plugin will have its flaws, but I believe that while V2 is excellent, there are a lot of flaws which could still be ironed out to make the game more interesting and its tactics more complex. This will be explained in far more detail later.

What to change?

Currently, I believe that one of the big problems with the plugin is that it is far too easy to get stacked out of your mind with so many secondaries that there is no use trying to spare them, thus nullifying a lot of tactical play. Here I’m going to list ways I think the introduction of V3 could change that, as well as a few other flaws.

Iron armour

This has been one of the primary criticisms of V2. It wouldn’t really be an MCSG game nowadays without at least 2 people in full iron – I agree this has to change. The likelihood of getting iron armour, and possibly chain armour too, in tier 2s, needs to be reduced, as it is simply too easy; even a 2 tier 2 route is often enough for 7+ armour bars. jonnysurvives suggested a system in which there is a maximum of 2 armour pieces in a tier 2, and a maximum of 1 piece of iron armour; personally I’m not a fan of this since it takes a tiny bit too much luck out of the game. It should still be possible to get ridiculous armour from a single tier 2, but I shouldn’t be expecting 6+ armour bars from each tier 2. However, jonny has the right idea; tier 2 armour needs to be nerfed.

Arrows

Currently it’s also far too easy to get arrows. In most games that I do well in, by the time it gets to deathmatch, I have 40+ arrows. At this point it’s pretty much like having an infinity bow, and it’s pointless rationing your arrows; most people just bowspam every fight once they have that many. One thing I prefer in the plugin of that other server is the fact that you really need to decide when and when not to use your arrows since they are rarer.
(Sidenote: it is way too easy to craft arrows. There need to be fewer feathers especially. Those things are useless and just clutter up your inventory; the stack size you get should be 1 or 2 and not 5.)

Food

Here’s one which really grinds my gears. There are so many different types of food in V2. What is the point? So many of them are very similar to each other.

Currently we have (off the top of my head): Raw Chicken, Cookies, Melons, Raw Fish, Raw Porkchop, Raw Beef, Bread, Pumpkin Pie, Potatoes, Apples, Carrots, Cooked Chicken, Steak, Cooked Porkchop, Golden Carrot, Mushroom Stew, and Golden Apples (+cake, but that barely counts). That is 17 different types of food. Having that many is pointless; it clutters up your inventory and is a pain.

I think we should add cake as a rare item in tier 2s (since it adds something interesting to the game), possibly add stacks of 2 of wheat, but remove:
-Raw Chicken: no-one eats it
-Cookies: very similar to melons, don’t add anything
-Raw Fish: Very similar to melons, don’t add anything, their cooked counterparts aren’t even in the game
-Pumpkin Pie: Similar to bread, nothing special
-Possibly remove either porkchops or beef since they are effectively the same?
-Remove either potatoes or mushroom stew since they restore the same hunger and same saturation

This would leave us with 10/11 food items. This is slightly less cluttered, and there is something unique to each, but still enough that there is variety imo. I also believe that the amount of food you get should be cut slightly – we shouldn’t be starving each game, but it’s very rare nowadays to see someone not have enough food to comfortably be eating high saturation food all game. Making it a bit more difficult makes it far more interesting!

Tier 1s

So much of the game in V2 relies on whether you got a good route or not. Of course, this should matter greatly; however, on most maps nowadays if you do not get a single tier 2 then you are quite simply screwed. Anyone with 3 ½ armour bars doesn’t stand a chance against someone with 7+. Tier 1s are overpowered on h***, and we shouldn’t add chain armour, but as jonnysurvives said, I believe gold items should be made a very rare item in tier 1s, so that you actually have a chance of killing someone and winning without getting a tier 2.

That is all for now, since this is 1000 words. To conclude, I really believe that a new plugin, coded with reference to the community, would benefit MCG. Thanks for reading and please leave your opinion!

*thanks to Wyz_Guy for the idea, and jonnysurvives for some of the logistics.
Sorry, but in clans it's better to have more supplies and more fun to be more stacked and get more armor. This won't be a good change for clans, just for solo people.

Wolfffffffff

Spectator
Reaction score
Hang on. A bit of topic to start, but cooked fish can be found in tier 2s right?

Anyways, you're right on saying MCSG needs a change, but that's your opinion, the majority want v2, some Peope (like me) want v1 back. Basically v3 is a while off and considering the fact that you can get full iron in a tier 2 is very rare, although, that suggestion sounds like you're a bit but hurt from dying to full iron players. And gold in tier 1s? No. Don't even try, this will corrupt routes as a tier 1 route could give you full gold and materials for an iron sword, tier 1s are 1 for a reason... They are the lowest and shouldn't be giving out something that is quite a special item, and yes as you said, make it rare but is that really enough? Your suggestion was for people to get LESS armour, which that suggestion is pretty much inflicting more op armour and fighting someone in full iron as full leather is part of the game, you're meant to come across challenges, it would be boring to make the game fair and less op. Just my suggestion.

Bamber

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I agree with mostly everything, except the food part.

I would welcome MORE food to the game! Not in overall quantity, but in the variety and different types of food. It keeps it a bit more fresh, with new different things to eat in SG. :)

If you're inventory is all cluttered with different foods, just throw some out? I do that normally, with the excessive amount of food we have in V2.

I can't wait till mutton, rabbit, and rabbit stew gets into the game!!! Hopefully then we can have a major food update added salmon and all the other types of food yet to make their debut in MCSG!!!

:D

I_love_desk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Sorry, but in clans it's better to have more supplies and more fun to be more stacked and get more armor. This won't be a good change for clans, just for solo people.
Well, firstly the entire game isn't about clans, the vast majority of the community isn't involved in them. Secondly, I don't see how it's detrimental to clans, it's not like everyone would be running around with 1.5 armour bars. It would actually mean that clans have to play a bit more tactically and ration what they get in chests - the funnes clan battles I've played have been the ones where people run out of arrows or food etc., although those happen rarely.

Hang on. A bit of topic to start, but cooked fish can be found in tier 2s right?
nope.

Most of these seem like chest-related changes. I don't think that's really worthy of being called "v3;" v2 was a more radical change that added large overhauls and new features, and this doesn't seem on that scale.
You're right, I completely forgot that V2 implemented other changes, to be honest. Anyway, why not add some new features as well as updating chests? I have no idea what, but I'd love to hear it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci