• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Is Human nature good or evil?

StaticReach

Experienced
Reaction score
Simple as the title says,

Is Human nature naturally of good or of evil?

Be sure to also leave a reason why you believe what you believe :p

EDIT: So how about not naturally do you think humans are of good or evil as they progress in the world?

Last edited:

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I'd say naturally good because we were created that way, however we can vary towards being evil or not so good if we do not find our true focus.

K

KiDD

Well, if you mean literally naturally, I suppose it's good. Then comes into play mental illness, problems in the world, and many other conflicting issues. No one is born evil. It's events in life that really change things.

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
Choices are what define you, not your birth. Humans are naturally good, and experiences and choices change that. If we were all the same, except we removed all negativity from our brains, the world would be perfect.

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
This is a difficult question considering humans thought up what is considered good and what is evil. I would say that the human nature is neither of them.

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
I would have to say both, life is consisted of many positive and negative things. In the end I guess it's how you view things and being pessimistic or optimistic.

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
If we were all the same, except we removed all negativity from our brains, the world would be perfect.
Have you read The Giver before? It is like a utopian landscape but key elements of what makes us human are missing (love, diversity, choice e.t.c.)
ANYWAYS OFF TOPIC AND ONE FOR ANOTHER DAY. :p
Is Human nature naturally of good or of evil.
(Forgot the ?)
It truly depends on how you see evil or good. We adapt to the situation and make decisions that change ourselves and others and from other peoples' standpoint, it might be good or evil.
This is a very broad question that has many factors that go into what the answer is. Good/Evil. So I have no comment AT ALL.

Reaction score
I would say evil.
People have, from the start, with either standpoints (religious or non-religious) hated each other.
There hasn't been a time where there was not a war going on, and people dying.
Though it may seem that humans are kind to one another, this isn't the case with most of us.
Humans cannot naturally be good to one another, as we are more than likely in life for a personal gain.
A good example brought up by SnoopSean is The Giver.
The people in the book are always very happy, but that is because we lack all emotions.
tl;dr- We are evil naturally, and in order to not be evil, we have to lose all emotions that make us enjoy life.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Human nature is good if you are a human, but it may be bad for other creatures or places.
I think that under a large, controlling power that is open to positive change can keep people from becoming too toxic.
However, a large, controlling power plus another large, controlling power equals either a brilliant trade agreement or a pointless waste of lives in the form of war.

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
Human nature is just that. Nature. One could argue that nature is predominantly evil, with hurricanes, poisonous animals, and other things like this. But you can argue the opposite as well, with mothers being naturally caring, the natural beauty of nature, and the circle of life in general. Human nature, and thus nature in general, cannot be defined as good or evil as those are both concepts created by humanity to describe things in more quantifiable terms.

Humans, by nature, are wild, random, impossible to predict. Our civilization is random, chaotic, unpredictable, and other words often given negative connotations but it's also ruled by law, love (paternal, romantic, sexual, etc...), life, and other terms given positive connotations. Humans, like most other animals are afraid of things we cannot understand. Since we cannot accurately define the force of nature, we created the concepts of good and evil. These terms gave us a sort of refuge from the fear. We could now say whether something was good or evil, but this was a problem as each person had or has their own code of morality and ethics.

I believe immediately after birth, a person is inherently good, as they come into this world in the nurturing arms of their mothers, surrounded by people who want nothing but the best for the child. But that can all change the moment the child feels pain or hunger or sadness or any other emotion.

StaticReach

Experienced
Reaction score
Awesome Points!

I created an addition with another question. If we are talking about non-natural terms are humans still good or evil. What I mean by this is as they grow and survive for whatever time they live on earth, do they become good, evil or neither.

Reaction score
As humans live on this earth, they become more evil.
Why do I believe this is true?
Think of the current world, take your average corporate company for example. Everyone is trying to get ahead of everyone else, trying to get a raise, and they will throw anyone under the bus to do so. Furthemore, as children are raised, their niceness goes away, and they develop into the "evil" people the majority of humans are today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci